June 22, 2018, 04:25:22 AM

Author Topic: Your Newest Books  (Read 3090 times)

November 07, 2014, 03:35:49 PM
Reply #20

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
I too just bought an HP book -PoA , but it is not for me! (For a change!) Each year our local paper for a small suburb of Orlando, sponsors a drive called Reading Reindeers. They ask for new books suitable for preschool to high school age kids. Then during the year these books are given out at the local hospital or at other functions sponsored by the paper. This year I went in the bookstore to get a Harry Potter book - like I usually do - but saw a great deal on classic books for older kids. So I purchased Little Women too. It was a hard choice because they also had Anne of Green Gables and Heidi, too. They were all favorites of mine growing up, but I finally decided on Little Women. I figure they most likely get plenty of books for the younger kids but not so many for the older ones, so though I also get a few books for the younger kids, I try to always give books for the older kids.

Just curious, do book drives like this occur in other areas?
November 07, 2014, 06:35:02 PM
Reply #21

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
.... and before I knew what had happened (honest!) I had bought four more books ....

Be careful Dreamteam, I think empty book shelf space creates a vacuum!  :lol:

I too just bought an HP book -PoA , but it is not for me! (For a change!) Each year our local paper for a small suburb of Orlando, sponsors a drive called Reading Reindeers. They ask for new books suitable for preschool to high school age kids. Then during the year these books are given out at the local hospital or at other functions sponsored by the paper. This year I went in the bookstore to get a Harry Potter book - like I usually do - but saw a great deal on classic books for older kids. So I purchased Little Women too. It was a hard choice because they also had Anne of Green Gables and Heidi, too. They were all favorites of mine growing up, but I finally decided on Little Women. I figure they most likely get plenty of books for the younger kids but not so many for the older ones, so though I also get a few books for the younger kids, I try to always give books for the older kids.

Just curious, do book drives like this occur in other areas?

Hooray to you for passing on the gift of reading to a new generation!  :bravo: My community does have an organization that does work like this.  Throughout the year, they solicit donations of children's new books and used books in good condition and then display them on bookshelves in public places (such as doctor's offices, supermarkets, social services offices, and children's museums) for any child to take for their own at no charge.  They also raise funds to provide a copy of a selected title to each kid in first grade in our school district, and as your community does, they take up a collection of new books from the community that they wrap and give as holiday gifts.  It's great to live in an area that supports reading this way!  :yay:

As for my new books... I really am not much of a book buyer (as I also have very little in the way of shelf space); I prefer to borrow from my local library.  But when your community has a biannual used book sale that benefits the library, is the third largest sale of its kind in the country, and the books are plentiful and super cheap, what is a reader to do?  ::) I did mostly restrain myself, but since I have become a fan of Ian McEwan this year I could not resist buying Saturday and Amsterdam, and also Atonement; even though I've already read it, I do like to own a copy of favorite titles.  They were only $1.25 each so how could I not?  I've not read any of my new ones yet, as I read a McEwan title (The Children Act) recently and I do like to mix it up a bit.

One of my purchases came with a secret surprise: a hidden bookmark from a book shop in San Francisco.  I love when that happens!  Since I live in the Northeast, this book may have traveled quite a a ways.

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
November 27, 2014, 10:25:26 PM
Reply #22

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
Oh wow! I thought I was the only one around who loved MC Beaton's quirky detective, Agatha Raisin and the bachelor policeman, Hamish MacBeth! I think I have read every one of those books. I just love Beaton's off beat characters.  I have gotten a friend of mine into reading those stories too - because she borrows them from me!

I have found a website that lured me in too, but for e-books. It's called Book Bub and I have gotten so many books, it's ridiculous. They are either very reduced in price or they are free. I swear I have no idea when I will have time to read all the ones I have gotten, but I can't help myself! I swear I am a Book addict! Frankly I don't want a 12-step program to cure myself of accumulating books, because now that I have a Kindle - I just keeping adding them into the Cloud! Sure beats having to put an addition onto my house for a library!

I'm now into my Christmas reading so I'm reading A Highland Christmas, another of Hamish Macbeth's stories.  I've always loved the stories but had never read the books before.  Once I've finished the ones I have I'll no doubt buy the rest.

I get emails about Book Bub but I've decided not to read them, or not for the moment at least, because I really, really must work on reading the books I already have (I know, I know, that's not going to happen when I buy books as described in my last post  :))  )  I buy both kindle and hard copy books depending on price and whether I have some of a series already in hard copy and whether or not I want to loan them to friends - for instance my sister, I'm sure, would love the M C Beaton books so I'll lend them to her when I've read them. 

February 18, 2016, 07:47:48 PM
Reply #23

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
:) It's been rather inactive in this thread! However, I didn't know where else to post this, so I settled in here! For those of you who enjoy the Quest Series by Lisa Wright DeGroodt. She has a new book out - #13 Guardian Quest. I can't wait to read it! If you haven't read any of the series, I would highly recommend it. Check it out on Amazonhttp://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Books++by+Lisa+Wright++DeGroodt&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3ABooks++by+Lisa+Wright++DeGroodt