January 23, 2018, 04:14:55 AM

Poll

Author Topic: It's the Beatles!  (Read 1047 times)

March 22, 2014, 01:06:10 AM

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
Even though they broke up as a band over 40 years ago (and sadly, two of them have since gone on to the great gig in the sky), The Beatles are undoubtedly one of the seminal acts in rock and roll history. :bravo: What do you think made them so overwhelmingly popular -- was it the mop-top hair, the fresh style, or simply the outstanding music?

What personal memories do you have of the Beatles and their music through the years?  Have any Beatles songs played an important part in your life?

Do you have a favorite Beatles song? Or perhaps a favorite from each Beatles era?  Why do you love it so?

Have you enjoyed the music from any of the lads' solo careers?

Please share your love for the lads of Liverpool right here.   :thumbup:

:fredgeorge: :fredgeorge:     :yay: :yay: :yay:

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
March 22, 2014, 01:37:24 PM
Reply #1

siena

I do love The Beatles !! I did grow up with their music although I was born after their time in 1974. At my school in Germany, my music teacher was very into the Beatles and would show us a documentary about them. I got hooked and got all their redords (yes, at the time it was still vinyl  ;) ) by and by. I really didn't listen to anything else during my teens.

Their story is quite unique and inspirational - never give up, however humble your beginnings.

I love all four of them of course but I'm touched most by John. I love his voice so much and a lot of the things he did, although some were controversial.
Some of his solo work is very good - I love the Imagine and Mind Games and Double Fantasy albums.
But I am also fond of George Harrison's Cloud Nine and McCartney's Band on the Run.

As for Beatles songs - my favourites are:  Girl
                                                            Run for your Life
                                                            A Day in the Life
                                                            Help!
                                                            I've just seen a Face
                                                            Something
                                                            Don't let me Down
                                                            Come Together
                                                            Golden Slumbers/Carry that Weight
                                                            Here, There and Everywhere     

P.S. But I have just noticed - paint it black - aren't you a bit more of a Stones fan  ;D - people always say it's either Stones or Beatles  ;)           
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 02:04:22 PM by siena »
March 22, 2014, 04:51:15 PM
Reply #2

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
I can well remember the first time I saw the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show. I didn't know what to make of them! I remember the next day in school all the girls talking about them and naming off their favorite. I thought John and George were pretty cute!  I really am a very classical music type person, so I didn't really pay that much attention to them, but I think the Beatles music just grew on me over the years. Now I love to sing along to most any of their lyrics. The harmonies are great. Their music is based on sound musical theory and that is why -to me- it is still around.  Long live the Beatles!
March 23, 2014, 07:29:38 PM
Reply #3

paint it Black

• Forum Moderator
One of the cool things about the Beatles is that they and their sound evolved over the years, but the music (for the most part) remained excellent.  :thumbup: As is probably true for many of you, there is a Beatles show on one of our local radio stations (I'm listening to it as I write this :) ), and as I listen I find that I have favorite songs from many different phases of their career.  I tend to like the Eastern-influenced songs with George playing sitar; Tomorrow Never Knows is an amazing song, but it even shows up in the excellent Norwegian Wood.  If you really want to rock out, it's hard to beat Helter Skelter -- I think if this were released today as a new song that it would be a hit, and I think the same could be said for many Beatles songs.

My favorite song from the early days of the Beatles is Twist and Shout, because a) it rocks, and b) I can just see it summing up the madness of Beatlemania and the effect it had on the teens of the day....
Hey shake it up baby!
Twist And Shout!
C'mon c'mon c'mon c'mon baby!
Come on and work it on out!

As I see it, it's almost the equivalent (for that era) of them telling the kids to get naked and start shagging in the streets!  :o It's their way of saying, This is not your father's adolescence, go out and grab your life by the horns and live it!  I love the wild abandon in this song.  :stars: I think if I were a teen during this time I would perhaps not have been one of the screaming girls who chased after them, but I definitely would be a fan.  I think I might have gone for George as he was the shy one, or maybe John.  Paul was just a bit too vanilla for me (sorry, Sir Paul!), and Ringo is fun, but you need a special kind of girl to love Ringo.  :lunaquibbler:

Am I the only one, or are there any other HP fans out there that have seen a possible parallel with the Beatles to the Marauders...?  :marauders:

A few weeks ago our family watched A Hard Day's Night, and I've got Help! on hold at the library.  These are great fun, as the lads are so natural on camera, and in the early days of their career they seemed just so... pure.  Have you enjoyed any Beatles films?

P.S. But I have just noticed - paint it black - aren't you a bit more of a Stones fan  ;D - people always say it's either Stones or Beatles  ;)           
Aw, why choose siena;) If I had to pick, I'd choose the Beatles over the Stones, though I have seen the Stones live, and I can't say I was able to do that for the Beatles.  The Black in my username has much more to do with my favorite wizard than my favorite band.  :siriusbike:  (Though Paint it Black is a great song!)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 07:31:55 PM by paint it Black »

March 24, 2014, 01:58:55 PM
Reply #4

siena

You are right about Norwegian Wood (it really brings out John's voice and the text is so funny ..) and Tomorrow Never Knows.

Yes, why choose - both the Stones and the Beatles are great.

I'm not so sure about the Marauders - I guess it's because of Peter  :yuck: and then I have to admit I rather detest James ...
March 29, 2014, 08:48:55 PM
Reply #5

BillieMac

I was born in 1961, the youngest of seven, six of us girls, so I've been hearing the Beatles from the age of 3!
The first Beatles album I was truly aware of was the White Album, which must have come out when I was 7, and certainly gave me a taste of (and for) their tremendous variety.
Of course, at that age, my favourite Beatles songs were Yellow Submarine, Martha My Dear, and two years later, Octopus's Garden. Now, my favourites are - ALL OF THEM! (Except Revolution #9. What a waste of record space.)

Btw: The first time my mother really listened to Martha My Dear, she griped that he sounded like he was talking to a dog. She had remarkable moments of pop culture perception. She also noticed, years later when I was watching Help! on VHS, that the visual style was so obviously copied by the Monkees.

I'd also like to mention that, back on Leaky, I'd posted that if the Beatles were sorted into Hogwarts Houses, Paul would be in Slytherin. A major factor in their, and later his, success was his ruthless ambition and cunning. John and George would be Ravenclaws or hatstalls, and Ringo? Well, Ringo's Ringo. Hufflepuff all the way.
April 04, 2014, 12:33:07 AM
Reply #6

paint it Black

• Forum Moderator
Am I the only one, or are there any other HP fans out there that have seen a possible parallel with the Beatles to the Marauders...?  :marauders:

Overall I am glad that everyone who has replied so far has their own views on this, but when it occurred to me I thought that someone else would possibly notice it as well, so I had to ask!  The way I see it, John and Paul are the 'ringleaders of their little gang', with John being more of the rebel, the Sirius to Paul's James.  George is the quieter, more reserved, but still very talented one, so more like Lupin.  And I would never say that Ringo was evil :shake:, but if we look at Peter in his school days as the one who was late to join the club, and considered by some to be somewhat less gifted than the others (sorry Ringo! :-[), there might be a match there.  Just my opinion!  :)

April 04, 2014, 09:47:05 AM
Reply #7

Laura W

"Less gifted than the others?"  Not according to what I've read, paint it Black.

I know nothing about music (except show music) but according to author Bob Spitz who wrote this really long book about The Beatles, John and Paul were absolutely ruthless in their reaching for fame.  Geniuses, but ruthless.  And extremely jealous of each other.  Both of them had no compunction about stepping on whoever they had to - inside or outside the music business - to achieve personal fame and fortune.  (Like Peter, except that the two Beatles also had talent to spare and were incredibly hard workers.)  This came from them, and George and Ringo too, having been brought up in the mean streets of Liverpool and having to claw their way up through the clubs and dives in Liverpool and Germany.  According to Spitz.  Drugs, alcohol, taking on everyone and anyone in physical fights just to show they couldn't be intimidated. That was the life of all who were part of the rock scene when the Beatles were in their teens and early 20s.  Of course, a completely different picture of them is portrayed in the two movies "about the Beatles", which they were in.  There, they come across as wide-eyed, innocent, polite, "respectable" young men who neither smoked, drank nor swore. 

Anywho ... according to the biography I am referring to, when The Beatles started to get some recognition and looked like they were really going to make it, John, Paul AND George decided that their drummer, Pete Best, was holding them back.  That he was not talented enough, nowhere in the class of those three. (And they may well have been correct in that.  I wouldn't know.) So they sought out to find the best drummer in all Liverpool.  As they saw it.  There was this guy playing drums for a band called Rory Storm.  So they went behind Pete Best's back and behind Rory Storm band's back, and poached the guy.  Stole him and cruelly dumped their own drummer.  Business, after all, is business.  And who was this fellow deemed the best drummer in all Liverpool?  Yep, it was Ringo Star.

I'm just saying ...

LW
April 04, 2014, 07:43:04 PM
Reply #8

BillieMac

Yes, Paint it Black, while it's become an established part of fanon, the Beatles/ Marauders comparison does fall apart when you get to Peter/ Ringo. Each group is its own, and altogether I prefer the Beatles.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:17:04 PM by BillieMac »
April 04, 2014, 08:17:43 PM
Reply #9

siena

I also have to come to Ringo's defence - from what I have read about him/heard from him (and I did actually see him and his son Zak live in concert together some 15 years ago in Cologne, Germany (yes, really, they gave one concert together there  :)  and it was fun ! His son is a good musician in his own right. ) I have to say he is reasonably talented. In 2011 he was voted the fifth best drummer in the world by the readers of the Rolling Stone magazine !

Okay, he never was and never will be the best singer in the world, but I don't think he wants to be or had to be - he was/is the drummer ! And not everyone is named Phil Collins ...
I think he was quite okay with his place within the group.

It was a different issue for George though. As LauraW pointed out, John and Paul were incredibly talented, but also very dominant and egocentric.  George was a gifted songwriter and musician in his own right ( I think he was the  best guitarist in the group) but John and Paul never really let him shine unfortunately. Not that I want to miss any of the Lennon/McCartney collaborations, but it would have been nice to have George contributing more.
May 21, 2014, 07:26:22 PM
Reply #10

BillieMac

Laura W, are you old enough to remember Ookpik? (Don't worry, guys, this is Beatles related.)
In the early 1960s, there was a major toy craze in Canada: Simply designed plush snowy owls, called by the Inui word for snowy owl, ookpik.

When the Beatles played Vancouver in 1964, a group of fans pooled their money, and bought for them a 3 foot high Ookpik. It was too big to take it with them, so they donated it to the children's ward of the hospital. Within a month, I was in hospital for the first of my annual minor surgeries. (Very minor. Details on request only.)
I remember it so clearly. 3rd floor, east wing of the Centenial Pavilion in Vancouver general Hospital. And there on a dais low enough for a child to sit on was that very Ookpik. I was three years old and fell in love with it. I spent most of my stay snuggled against Ookpik,  nestled between his feet. On being checked out, the last thing I did before Mom took me to the elevator was give Ookpik a big hug. I was 8 or 9 before I learned of the Beatles connection.

Flash forward to 1989. I've joined the BC Sience Fiction Association (now the West Coast etc. because of large American membership). So I'm sitting with a friend and fellow member, showing him my Beatles books, and he tells me that his older sister and her friends got together and bought the Beatles a 3 foot tall Ookpik!
He had no idea what happened to it, so I told him. I told him all about the happy hours, snuggled against Ookpik.

So now I can't figure out: how many degrees of separation? Is it one (Beatles- Ookpik- me) or two (Beatles- Stuart's sister- Stuart- me)? or is it a circle? (Me- Ookpik- Beatles- Stuart's sister- Stuart- me.)

Note to mods: I hope it's okay to use my friend's first name. It's not an uncommon one, after all.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:55:34 PM by BillieMac »