December 13, 2017, 12:47:14 PM

Author Topic: Technical practice thread  (Read 1208 times)

March 27, 2014, 09:26:35 PM

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
This thread is here to give any member learning to use a new forum function a place to put in practice posts, before they try the function on a real post.

Mistakes are welcome.  Help is always only a post or a private message away.   :typing:

April 03, 2014, 06:33:06 PM
Reply #1

siena

This thread is here to give any member learning to use a new forum function a place to put in practice posts, before they try the function on a real post.

Hello, this is siena practising ....  :)

Mistakes are welcome.  Help is always only a post or a private message away.   :typing:

I  can't believe it - I think I managed it  :nod:  !!!

Now I have to figure out this quote in quote thing you're all doing ...  ???
April 04, 2014, 07:23:01 PM
Reply #2

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I  can't believe it - I think I managed it  :nod:  !!!
Congratulations! :yay:  :thumbup:

Now I have to figure out this quote in quote thing you're all doing ...  ???
That isn't difficult and you do not need to do anything in particular to achieve it.  :)

In the early days of DS, such inner quotes were removed, but that decision has since been changed and for the last year, any quotes inside a post you quote, remains there.

If you quote this post of mine, for instance, the quote will still contain the quotes that I quoted.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 07:26:00 PM by Evreka »
April 17, 2014, 12:45:53 PM
Reply #3

siena

Thank you, Evreka.  :)

What I would like to know now is - how I can I quote something from a different thread ? I would like to quote something from the 20 Questions Thread in the Ask the Moderator Thread ....  ???
April 17, 2014, 02:32:30 PM
Reply #4

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
What I would like to know now is - how I can I quote something from a different thread ? I would like to quote something from the 20 Questions Thread in the Ask the Moderator Thread ....  ???

First of all, a late congratulations from me too! I was very happy to see that you had quickly learned how to do the partial quotes.  :thumbup:

To quote something from a different thread is a bit trickier.  The easiest way, I find, is for you to open two windows (or two tabs), then:

1 - In the first window, go to the 20 Questions post where you have something you want to quote.  Pretend you're quoting and replying in that thread by clicking on the 'Quote' or 'Insert Quote' button to get the quote tags to appear in the reply box.
2 - In the second window, go to the Ask the Moderator thread where you'd like to post your actual reply, and open up a reply box.
3 - Now go back to the first window, and select/highlight and copy the quote (including the quote tags) you want, then paste that whole thing you've just copied into the second window.

That's how you do it, basically copying and moving the quote from one thread to another.  I hope this helps.  Give it a try and let me know if I can explain anything better or differently.  :)

(This is a great question that others might have also, so I've added it to the FAQ thread.)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:37:55 PM by ss19 »
November 10, 2015, 08:30:23 PM
Reply #5

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Eh?  :mcgonagall2:
Spoiler
Will this open?
Hopefully not a Permanent unopening Charm there...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 08:33:44 PM by Evreka »