April 21, 2018, 01:19:12 AM

Author Topic: Chapter Fifteen - The Quidditch Final  (Read 965 times)

April 06, 2014, 06:06:29 PM

JaneMarple9

• Staffer
Chapter Fifteen: The Quidditch Final
(Chap Summary by twiddlethosedials )

Fan Art by Uozumi

Buckbeak’s sentence has the Trio back on the same side again, their differences behind them. Malfoy hits below the belt, so Hermione smacks him upside the head. Go girl! She skips Charms, something unheard of, then has enough of Divination and walks out of that class for good. The Easter holidays come with much studying, and before they know it, the Quidditch Final approaches. Harry thinks he sees the Grim, but puts it out of mind, and after varying degrees of dirty tricks on both sides, manages to knock Malfoy’s arm away and capture the Snitch. Gryffindor win!

A few questions to get you started:
1) Hermione’s normally so... well, Hermione. What is going on with her in this chapter?

2) Harry almost wishes for a Dementor after the match, thinking he could have produced the world’s best Patronus. Exactly what does Quidditch mean to him?

3) McGonagall spends most of the match telling Lee Jordan to knock off his biased commentary, but by the end of it, she’s pointing her finger right with him. What do we learn about Minerva?

"There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with a really big library"
April 07, 2014, 03:49:56 PM
Reply #1

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Hermione has taken on too much a load this year. The extra classes have added a real burden of time, effort and homework. In addition she has taken on the burden of Buckbeak's defense which is quite daunting in and of itself. Then there are the secrets she is burden with: Lupin's furry little problem; Harry's Map; The Time Turner - it's enough to make a person burst! Adding to her burden is that she spends more than half her year on the outs with her best friends. I'd say she has more than enough to be going on with!

With such inner and outer chaos going on, it is no wonder that she whacks Draco - Much deserved I must say - and walks out on Trelawney's class. I was glad to see that she was able to confide in Hagrid and that he stood up for her to the boys about it. Hermione really does have a great heart and she also has a lot of innate sense, I think she just came to a breaking point when everything came too much to handle without a good support system.

I wonder when the MoM allows a student to use the TimeTurner that there shouldn't need to be a bit closer supervision of how the student is doing? Like a weekly appointment with her supervisor which in this case was McGonagall? Of course knowing Hermione, she probably would have told McGonagall everything was fine, because she wouldn't want McGonagall to see that she couldn't do the load. We get no sense of what happened when Hermione dropped Divination. I assume McGonagall knew this - perhaps even had advised it in the past? There didn't seem to be any negative impact from her dropping that class.

I do adore McGonagall's reaction to the dirty play the Slytherins are doing in the match. At first she tries to keep Lee Jordan unbiased but that didn't work out because the Slytherins were so far out of line. I do think Minerva loves her Quidditch, but I think she also values fair play  - and seeing how far the Slytherin team was willing to go to cheat made her lose her cool! She and Hermione have something in common this year - losing their cool!
April 08, 2014, 09:57:07 PM
Reply #2

siena

I have always wondered - did Bill and Percy Weasley and Barty Crouch Junior apply and qualify for time turners as well in order to achieve their OWLs ? All three achieved more OWLs than Hermione - they achieved twelve while Hermione only achieved eleven ... so it seems they coped with the extra stress and work while Hermione couldn't. So maybe the school thought Hermione wouldn't need any extra support, simply because three other students managed well. Yet Hermione obviously failed her own expectations - a good lesson for her I should think.

I agree, this chapter  shows how deeply Hagrid's role is rooted within the trio's friendship. A lot of the time, he is the one who  needs help and guidance - but here he is the one who gives straight advice to Ron and Harry, in favour of Hermione, who is obviously not coping.

I love McGonagall's reaction too - here again she shows her great passion for Quidditch, which is first displayed when she appoints Harry seeker of the Gryffindor team instead of abiding to school rules - which would have meant punishing Harry (in PS).

April 09, 2014, 12:11:44 AM
Reply #3

roonwit

I have always wondered - did Bill and Percy Weasley and Barty Crouch Junior apply and qualify for time turners as well in order to achieve their OWLs ? All three achieved more OWLs than Hermione - they achieved twelve while Hermione only achieved eleven ... so it seems they coped with the extra stress and work while Hermione couldn't. So maybe the school thought Hermione wouldn't need any extra support, simply because three other students managed well. Yet Hermione obviously failed her own expectations - a good lesson for her I should think.
I don't believe we know how many OWLs Bill got, and Hermione only got 10 (though I believe they were miscounted in early editions of HBP). I also don't think a time turner would be necessary to get 12 OWLs. I imagine Barty Jr. and Percy could get more support from their families (perhaps giving lessons in the Summer holidays), they didn't have the distraction of trying to save Buckbeak, and they may be less perfectionists than Hermione, who seems to do more work than she needs to rather than pacing herself and just doing what was asked for.
April 27, 2014, 08:52:55 AM
Reply #4

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
Also interesting about Hermione's assault on Draco is Ron's reaction to it.  Just how much does he love Bad-Ass Hermione?  :ronhermionehug: I think her willingness to be physically aggressive in order to stand up for her beliefs made him look at her in a whole new way.  :ron:

I think it's funny that Professor Trelawney sees "the Grim" in the crystal ball in class; Hermione rolls her eyes at this, but in fact there is a great black dog that's been focused on Harry for months, it just happens to be an Animagus, not a Grim.  So perhaps Sybill can See, she just can't interpret what she Sees.

2) Harry almost wishes for a Dementor after the match, thinking he could have produced the world’s best Patronus. Exactly what does Quidditch mean to him?
I think this passage is interesting in that here we see Harry feeling confident that he can make an excellent Patronus.  So, already, deep down he believes that he can do this.  :lightbulb:

... I also don't think a time turner would be necessary to get 12 OWLs.
It's possible that students in past years were able to take multiple classes that interested them, and that these classes did not have scheduling conflicts with each other, as Hermione's did.  This seems to be the main reason that she needed the Time Turner, not because she didn't have enough support, but because she needed to literally repeat the hours on the days that her chosen classes ran concurrently.  I imagine that having to keep track of which hours she was repeating and which class she needed to go to each time would have definitely added stress to her overfull work load.  Had her chosen classes run consecutively I think she could have managed somewhat better.

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
June 30, 2014, 08:52:17 PM
Reply #5

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Hermione has taken on too much a load this year. The extra classes have added a real burden of time, effort and homework. In addition she has taken on the burden of Buckbeak's defense which is quite daunting in and of itself. Then there are the secrets she is burden with: Lupin's furry little problem; Harry's Map; The Time Turner - it's enough to make a person burst! Adding to her burden is that she spends more than half her year on the outs with her best friends. I'd say she has more than enough to be going on with!
I agree that she is really doing way too much this year, and also that her burden is just partly related to school work. Without looking up facts to defend Buckbeak, which must have taken a huge amount of extra time, she would have more time to spend on something relaxing instead. And I am sure her estrangement from her best friends  :ron: and :harry: also takes its toll on her. I am sure she spend hours going over her choices, intentions and events that lead to this fall out. Instead of having friends who help her unwind and feel important and well liked, she is shunned by all, and get even more stressed over it...  :console:

I don't believe we know how many OWLs Bill got, and Hermione only got 10 (though I believe they were miscounted in early editions of HBP). I also don't think a time turner would be necessary to get 12 OWLs. I imagine Barty Jr. and Percy could get more support from their families (perhaps giving lessons in the Summer holidays), they didn't have the distraction of trying to save Buckbeak, and they may be less perfectionists than Hermione, who seems to do more work than she needs to rather than pacing herself and just doing what was asked for.
Also, I believe roonwit is right about Hermione putting down way more time on her studies than is actually needed (we later learn the extent she went into on Animagus which seems to be far more than what is expected of them). A more balanced approach would be to not do more than needed to get a good grade; the more so as she takes so many courses and want top grades in all of them.

... I also don't think a time turner would be necessary to get 12 OWLs.
It's possible that students in past years were able to take multiple classes that interested them, and that these classes did not have scheduling conflicts with each other, as Hermione's did.  This seems to be the main reason that she needed the Time Turner, not because she didn't have enough support, but because she needed to literally repeat the hours on the days that her chosen classes ran concurrently.  I imagine that having to keep track of which hours she was repeating and which class she needed to go to each time would have definitely added stress to her overfull work load.  Had her chosen classes run consecutively I think she could have managed somewhat better.
I think this too, is part of Hermione's incredible work load. Further, the shear fact that she relives four or more hours each day makes her days that much longer. While we might sigh over the fact that there are only 24 hours in a day - I don't think we'd be better off if we had days of 28 or 30 hours; if all extra hours were spent working and you could add no extra relaxation time, nor more sleep!  :o Poor Hermione, indeed!

Also, I wonder why the defence of Buckbeak is at all handled by Hermione and later Ron? Why can't Madam Pince or Dumbledore or some other Professor help Hagrid with this?  :mcgonagall2:

One of the funniest lines in this chapter, I think, is the following about Ron as he works on Buckbeak's defence: He was so absorbed, he even forgot to be horrible to Crookshanks.  :crookshanks:   :P

With such inner and outer chaos going on, it is no wonder that she whacks Draco - Much deserved I must say ... Hermione really does have a great heart and she also has a lot of innate sense, I think she just came to a breaking point when everything came too much to handle without a good support system.
Also, Draco's behaviour at the time is really disgusting, IMO he is asking for that SMACK!  :annoyed: The more so as Buckbeak's life is at risk due to a story he has invented! At this Point of time, at least, he doesn't care if he hurt - or even kill - other beings, as long as he can play powerful and be in command. Truth means nothing to him; just being master of his Little pesky games!  >:( :furious:

Further, I think Hermione is wise to drop Divination. Why should she spend hours on a subject she does not believe in; being riddiculed by the teacher as a result of posing questions about the credibility of some claims of hers. OK it might not be a wise move to openly question a teacher the way Hermione does with Trelawney, but on the other hand, her seeing Death omen after Death omen targeting one of the students are really over the top! Couldn't that be classified as mental abuse of a student?   :mcgonagall2:

I do adore McGonagall's reaction to the dirty play the Slytherins are doing in the match. At first she tries to keep Lee Jordan unbiased but that didn't work out because the Slytherins were so far out of line. I do think Minerva loves her Quidditch, but I think she also values fair play  - and seeing how far the Slytherin team was willing to go to cheat made her lose her cool! She and Hermione have something in common this year - losing their cool!
My thoughts too!

I've always loved that they won the Cup and Oliver's reaction thereof!  Finally, at long last, and at his last year, his wildest Dream came true!  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 08:57:07 PM by Evreka »
July 01, 2014, 12:56:19 PM
Reply #6

siena

I would not really agree on saying poor Hermione. No one forced her to take on that immense load of schoolwork as far as I understand it. No one forced her to use the time turner. And as far as her troubles with Ron are concerned, she is at least partly responsible for that as well. She should have taken Ron's worries about Crookshanks and Scabbers more seriously. She never really made much of an effort to keep her pet away from Ron's. The least she could have done - as Ron pointed out - was to say sorry to him, but her pride kept her from doing that. I think it is also her pride that tells her not to admit to anyone that she isn't coping.

But you raise a good point concerning Buckbeak's trial - a teacher should really have helped Hagrid. Hagrid does point out that Dumbledore had already done more than enough already - persuading the governors that at least Hagrid isn't to blame for the incident - so maybe Hagrid thinks that if Dumbledore tried to help with Buckbeak's case as well, Dumbledore would get into trouble? And McGonagall is quite close to Dumbledore. Maybe Malfoy and the governors did watch every move he made by that stage?