January 24, 2018, 09:44:31 AM

Author Topic: So Many Books ... So Many Ways To Keep Track Of Them!  (Read 1040 times)

April 24, 2014, 09:18:19 PM

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
Recently I came to the realization that I've managed to read quite a few books over the last several years!  :hermioneread: :hermioneread: :hermioneread: Thusly I've started to consider whether I'd like to keep track of the titles I've read.  Is this something that you've done?  If so, do you just keep your list on a scrap pf paper or on a document on your computer, or do you use sites like Shelfari or Goodreads?  Are there features about these sites that you particularly like or do not like?  Does a one need to share their list with everyone on these sites or can you keep it private?  Feel free to share your literary logging habits with us right here.   :)

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
April 24, 2014, 11:04:43 PM
Reply #1

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Years ago, back in 2003, I think, the first HP community that I joined that really hogged my attention, put up a thread about the (non-HP) books we've read. I began to post about the books that I've read in English; as I read them, which they were and something about how I liked them and why. (I remember posting once about a book I had just started, and then having to come back a good deal later, after finishing it and rectify my opinion as it turned out to be a long way off from what I thought.) A little while later I began a similar partial list of the books I read in Swedish on a Swedish site, where I was also a member. In neither place I registered everything I read, just things I felt like sharing.

We lost that HP site (obviously, or I would know next to none of you) and in losing it I sort of lost my track record of English books. This was something I resented, so I began to keep a hand-written list as well of titles, authors and a crude rating of how I found the book. This hand-written list is something I add to all the time, and this one includes every non-factual book that I have finished, even books that I've re-read. This is an ever-growing extensive list of everything I read, except for educational material. I've kept it since 2005 and it is great fun to look through!  :hermioneread:

In general, I've found that my crude rating of a book sometimes change on a re-read, so going back and see what I thought a few years earlier is sometimes very interesting!  :) There are also a fair few lines with Jo Rowling as author in there... and if I'd kept that record from 2002 I would have known the exact number of times I've read all the (individual) HP books!

Thankfully I was able to retrieve (through the Way Back Machine) the partial English list I kept up on the lost community, and with the partial Swedish list elsewhere I at least have a partial list from 2003  and 2004.

The upside of a hand-written list as the full record
* It is easy to keep track of where it is and to add books to it as I finish them.
* Even if my computer crashed from one day to the next ( :o ) it would be safe.
* It is 100% private, so if I read something that is deeply personal I don't have to think twice about putting it there.
* It is always available, whether I have Internet access or not.
* The crude rating (---, --, -, =, +, ++, +++, !) takes no time, as opposed to typing up a description of what I liked or didn't like and why, for the benefit of others.

The downside of a hand-written list as the full record
* There is just ONE such list, so if something happened to that list, it would be lost.
* The crude rating does not give as rounded a view on what I liked or disliked as a typed up review in a thread somwhere online.

At the same time I like discussing books, and I like to share my opinions on them (and compare them to others opinions), so aside from the main hand-written list, I try to discuss the books I've read online as well. And so I have posted what I've read in the last two years (regardless of language) in this board here at DS.

I am a bit curious of Goodreads... although, if we switch to discuss books there... what are we going to discuss at DS/Books?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 02:57:33 PM by Evreka »
April 26, 2014, 05:44:52 PM
Reply #2

Marielle

I started using Goodreads a few years ago, exactly for that reason, after I pick up the same book twice form the library because I had forgotten I had read it.
Plus Goodreads allow you to create all the shelves you want, read books, want to read books, library books, books to be release 20xx year.......
After a while my library design a basket system, where I could store the book I would like to eventually read, and Goodreads has been very useful in making sure I wasn't adding up books I had already read, plus it already had a list of book I would like to read eventually.

And nearly a year ago, my library change her database completely, and so all the books I had in my basket was gone. I was very angry, but I was able, though it has been a very tedious process, to add them all back, because I had a back up list thanks to Goodreads.

Plus it allows you to see the order of books in a series, it has all sort of interesting features.

Edited to add:
Plus if you want it to be private and only for your eyes you can make it so, then only your Goodreads friends can see your list.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:53:26 PM by Marielle »
April 27, 2014, 05:52:23 AM
Reply #3

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I started using Goodreads a few years ago, exactly for that reason, after I pick up the same book twice form the library because I had forgotten I had read it.
Plus Goodreads allow you to create all the shelves you want, read books, want to read books, library books, books to be release 20xx year.......
But Goodreads seems to be much more than virtual book shelves? I've come across it mainly while looking for a way to link to a book I've read, in a post about it. So from the outside it seems to be at least as much a place for reviews and sharing your book love. Isn't it? Do they also have a forum or is it more of a "Facebook system" where you share things through each posting on their own page, and others finding it based on a friend system?
April 27, 2014, 02:26:51 PM
Reply #4

SnapesSister

• Forum Moderator
I've been using Goodreads for a few years now. I did also use Shelfari for a while. In fact, I can't remember why I stopped using it, but possibly it was because I found having a Goodreads account was enough.

I also bought a little book journal several years ago. I can record which books I've read, by which author, the date I read them, and add comments, and favourite quotes. It's quite nifty, but of course, once all the pages are filled up, that's it! At least with something like Goodreads I'll never run out of room, no matter how many books I add.

Evreka, I wouldn't say Goodreads is more a Facebook system; however, you can join groups and hold discussions, kind of like we are here. You can also send book recommendations to people on your friends list, there are numerous quizzes you can participate in...there's a lot you can do, and I probably don't even know half of it.  :P

April 27, 2014, 06:59:44 PM
Reply #5

Marielle

Goodreads is a social network, but you don't have to use it that way if you aren't interested. I don't really participates in groups, though I did subscribe to some, then maybe I should unsubscribe? :)

Beside using it as a catalogue, I mostly read my friends and author's books reviews, and if it is something that I think I would like, I then add it to my continuously growing list.

Like anything other social media, I pick and choose the feature I want to use.
April 28, 2014, 06:39:32 PM
Reply #6

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
I started using Shelfari a few years ago and still do - I did think about moving to Goodreads but didn't really want to start having to go through all my books and entering them on the system because I've got well over 1000 books on Shelfari and doing it once is enough  :))

I don't keep a handwritten list because I'd probably forget where I'd put it and it isn't as "searchable" as a computerised list where  I can record which books I've read or want to read, the dates I've read them, what I thought about them etc, etc and I can also read reviews from others who've read them.  Anyone can see my public bookshelves but I can choose whether to make a book public or private.  There are groups to join and there's are groups and discussions and an area where I can message friends.  The only thing missing, at least for me, is that, although I can sort by Author, Title, etc there isn't a Search box to find a particular book  on my shelf so I have to sort and then scroll through to find the book I want, or go by a roundabout route to enter the book into the whole site search and then follow it to my bookshelf (if that makes sense).

June 02, 2014, 02:35:28 PM
Reply #7

Kickassnoodle

• You can't get any smarter than this
  • Forum Moderator
I absolutely love Goodreads! I don't use it as a social network much or participate in the discussions (although perhaps that's going to change), but I love adding and sorting and rating books and writing reviews. My reviews are all public, but like, I never really write them with other people in mind :lol: Like, after finishing a book, I like jotting down a few thoughts that occurred to me while reading or reflect on the book as a whole, so I can have a record of my thoughts. I know, I could change my reviews to private or whatever, but once in a while I get random people liking my reviews and that feels nice, so I don't  ::)

I like that it's all in one place like that - my rating of the book, my thoughts about it and I can organise them into shelves (a couple of years ago I started keeping track of how many books I read per year, so that's my main shelves). I also like the 'want to read' shelf especially because whenever someone mentions a book and I get interested in it, I can put in there real quick, because otherwise I always forget. The other side of this, is of course, that my list gets very long and sometimes going through this shelf I stumble upon books and I can't remember, for the life of me, why I thought I wanted to read them :lol:

I also like reading reviews from other people sometimes, especially my friends, when I'm picking a book to read, or like, when I finish a book that I particularly disliked, I really like to read the bad reviews of it :devil:
June 17, 2014, 01:02:48 AM
Reply #8

HeleneB

• Staffer
I opened an account to Goodreads for the express purpose of keeping track of my TBR list. lol

Unfortunately, because I'm connected to a lot of writers, I'm finding out about lots of interesting book. I just looked. My TBR list there has 448 books on it.  :shake:

Now I just have to live long enough to read them.  :-\
Author of the Safe Harbors series and "Second Chances 101", a Ripple Effect Romance.
June 22, 2014, 09:22:23 PM
Reply #9

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
I opened an account to Goodreads for the express purpose of keeping track of my TBR list. lol

Unfortunately, because I'm connected to a lot of writers, I'm finding out about lots of interesting book. I just looked. My TBR list there has 448 books on it.  :shake:

Now I just have to live long enough to read them.  :-\
I can sympathise with that, my TBR list on Shelfari currently has 567 on it and I constantly hear about recommendations and am all too easily persuaded, despite all my  O:-)  efforts.  Even if I live to 150 I know I won't get through them all because it is always growing. 

June 22, 2014, 11:13:46 PM
Reply #10

HeleneB

• Staffer
Anymore, with me being so very busy, if it weren't for audiobooks I wouldn't get many books read.
Author of the Safe Harbors series and "Second Chances 101", a Ripple Effect Romance.
January 24, 2015, 08:20:25 PM
Reply #11

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
I have been very negligent in tracking what I read, so this year I decided I would list the books with authors that I read during each month in a notebook. Some are for book clubs so I note that, also. So far this method is working well. I hope that I can remember to put down all the books because I really want to figure out how many books I read and when I read them. I tried to do it on Goodreads but I had such a time figuring out how to use that site that I finally gave up on tracking there.

So many books so little time to read them all! I must have more than 30 waiting for me on my Kindle! Not to mention the hard copies I still have stashed away ion my bookcases! I cannot stop buying Kindle books either because they are so cheap and all sound so interesting! If you haven't subscribed to BookBub yet, I would if you have an e-reader. They have wonderful deals on all sorts of books. Sigh... so many books!
January 24, 2015, 09:27:51 PM
Reply #12

HeleneB

• Staffer
Because of audiobooks, I was able to read 83 books in 2014. I only know because I track them on Goodreads. lol
May 07, 2015, 07:24:35 AM
Reply #13

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Just thought I would put in an update here about book tracking! So far I have been very faithful in maintaining my notebook for tracking the books I have read. I keep it right where I charge my Kindle and that way it is always around to remind me to write down the latest book I have finished. So far this year I have read (or reread favorite novels) thirty one books - just a drop in the bucket of the number of books I want to read!
May 07, 2015, 12:11:59 PM
Reply #14

HeleneB

• Staffer
I set a really high goal of 75 books this year.