December 19, 2018, 12:26:19 PM

Author Topic: Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare!  (Read 732 times)

April 24, 2014, 10:39:23 PM

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
If William Shakespeare had possession of a Philosopher's Stone for all these years, he'd be celebrating his 450th birthday right about now!  :stars: Even if he's not here for the party, we can still celebrate his life and his work.  Although he was considered a successful playwright during his lifetime, his deep understanding of the human condition, clever plotting and masterful use of use of the English language led his work to become revered in the centuries that were to come, and continues to stand the test of time today.  Are you a fan of his work?  Why do you think it endures in its popularity?

Do you have a favorite Shakespeare play or sonnet?  Which one?

Have you ever seen a production of one of Shakespeare's plays (live or on film) that really impressed you?  :bravo:

Have you ever been in a production of a Shakespeare play?  :jester:

Do you have any favorite stories in film or literature that have been directly inspired by one of Shakespeare's works?

Do you buy into the controversy that some of his plays were written by another author, or do believe that the authorship of his work is genuine?  :angeldevilseesaw:

Do you happen to know of any interesting Shakespeare trivia that you'd care to share with us?  I'm sure he was a fascinating fellow.

Are there any activities that you or your community are planning to celebrate Shakespeare's birthday, like World Book Night?  Even though it is Will's birthday, is there any gift you feel that he's given you; has his work provided you with a special quote or a special experience in your life?  :flower:

Please feel free to share any thoughts about the Birthday Bard right here.   :)

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
April 28, 2014, 04:50:23 PM
Reply #1

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
I'm not sure I can narrow it down to just one favourite play but among my favourites are Macbeth, Twelfth Night, Much Ado About Nothing and (if only for the wonderful "this England" speech) Richard II.  I studied Macbeth, Twelfth Night and Richard II for exams and, as often happens, they have become favourites.  I've seen Macbeth performed numerous times but one which stands out in my memory is one in which there was water used in just about every scene from soft drizzle through to heavy downpours and in which Lord and Lady Macbeth walked up the stage surrounded by a cage of water which fell from a suspended square pipe, incredibly evocative. 

I don't buy into the suggestion that he wasn't the real author which often seems to be based on the fact that his father was a glove maker, suggesting that Will, therefore, wouldn't have had the education to write them but he was educated, he went to the Grammar School in Stratford which is more education than many children received at that time.  I'm sure there are people who have more "evidence" but I'm just not convinced.  After all, whatever the name of the person who created the works, we still have a wonderful body of work which has thrilled and entertained audiences for more than four centuries and has left the English language richer for it so whether the named author was William Shakespeare or not is irrelevant. 

April 28, 2014, 05:43:59 PM
Reply #2

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
:stars: Happy Birthday Will! :flower: (When ever it may be!) I think as a favorite I have to go with Romeo and Juliet. What a love story! To show how powerful it is - so many copies of that story exists - it's incredible! (Well, to be fair, I imagine that is true of most of his stories!) I agree Dreamteam that one of the things that makes Shakespeare so outstanding is the richness that has been added to the English language through his works: "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."; "Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I should say good night until the morrow."; "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages." and on and on one could go quoting Shakespeare. His words just have a beauty and clearness that last forever. Long live Shakespeare! :thumbup: