December 19, 2018, 12:29:40 PM

Author Topic: The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith  (Read 2272 times)

May 25, 2014, 08:02:43 PM

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator

The Silkworm, the next book about Robert Galbraith/J K Rowling's private detective, Coromoran Strike is due for publication on Thursday 19 June (in the UK and US at least, not sure about elsewhere).  So, did you enjoy the first book enough to make you want to buy this one and, if so, what are you expecting or looking forward to?

What can be gleaned from the new book's Title and the book's jacket?

What do you think of the introduction on Robert Galbraith's website?

How do you think that Cormoran's and Robin's characters and relationship will develop?

Will Cormoran find a new place to live?

Do you think Robin's relationship with her boyfriend will continue? If so, do you think there will be any changes to his attitude to Cormoran or Robin's job choice?

Do you think we'll see any more of the characters from The Cuckoo's Calling and, if so, who will they be and what part will they play?

Please feel free to look at any of these suggestions for discussion and bring in any other points or questions you'd like to discuss. 

May 26, 2014, 07:22:15 AM
Reply #1

Eva Hedwig

• Kwite the Kwizzikal Kwiz Kween
I liked the first book and I am looking forward for the second one (hoping JKR will write a dozen or more) I will get it as audiobook, this way I enjoy every single sentence as surprise. 

I am sure we will read/hear more about Robin,  his ex, Lucy.  Maybe not so much about Matthew, ( I hope Robin ditch him).

May 27, 2014, 03:58:50 AM
Reply #2

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Well ... I did a little Googling and found out that the silkworm is not a worm at all but a caterpillar of a moth. This Caterpillar spins a cocoon made of a single strand/thread of silk - made from a protein that is produced by the salivary glands of the caterpillar. Its main diet is that of mulberry leaves specifically from the white mulberry tree. (That's correct it's a tree not a bush as the song would indicate! As an aside - going around the 'mulberry bush' was a Celtic tradition to ward off evil fairies during the summer solstice). And the mulberries are not toxic. The production and making of silk products was apparently started in China. The silkworm has now been so domesticated that it cannot survive without human intervention. Does this lead to any ideas as to what the plot may be about? I would wonder if there is not a Chinese connection to the plot and perhaps something to do with the trade or production of silk? In addition silk fabric is a luxury item, so perhaps it has to do with a luxurious lifestyle? Anyone else have some guesses from the information on silkworms?
May 27, 2014, 12:40:50 PM
Reply #3

Marielle

I am not sure what to make of the title, but the previous book (Cuckoo) had nothing to do with a bird, or a clock LOL Even Casual Vacancy meant nothing to me, before it was explain. But both titles were related to something, or someone,  real, plain and very basic.  So the title could be about a silkworm found on the victim, or at it's house, or the name of a club, or the name of a store, well something plain and simple. Or , maybe she decided to change and it could be a figure of speech, or a name for the killer, who could spin a thread of lies around people to cocoon them in this fake truth he wants them to believe.

That said the premise of the book looks very interesting, much more than Cuckoo's summary was, and I really like the cover.  So with all that new information, I am even more anxious to get my hands on that book.

May 27, 2014, 05:30:49 PM
Reply #4

Eva Hedwig

I am not sure what to make of the title, but the previous book (Cuckoo) had nothing to do with a bird, or a clock LOL 

Cukoos relate to others in a very particular way. They lay their eggs into another's birds nest, while the breeding mother is briefly absent and she never recognizes that she has been fooled. The cuckoo's baby is much bigger than the others and throw them out of the nest. The foster parents have a hard time feeding them :(

John throws his brother and sister from considerable hights, because he wants all the attention and money. He goes so far to look for someone to help him get rid of Lula's brother in order to inherit all her money. He gets rid of everyone who is in his way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_cuckoo

some ideas to explain from Wiki:
Species whose broods are parasitised by the Common Cuckoo have evolved to discriminate against cuckoo eggs but not chicks.[20] Experiments have shown that Common Cuckoo chicks persuade their host parents to feed them by making a rapid begging call that sounds "remarkably like a whole brood of host chicks." The researchers suggested that "the cuckoo needs vocal trickery to stimulate adequate care to compensate for the fact that it presents a visual stimulus of just one gape."[18] However, a cuckoo chick needs the amount of food of a whole brood of host nestlings, and it struggles to elicit that much from the host parents with only the vocal stimulus. This may reflect a tradeoff – the cuckoo chick benefits from eviction by receiving all the food provided, but faces a cost in being the only one influencing feeding rate. For this reason, cuckoo chicks exploit host parental care by remaining with the host parent longer than host chicks do, both before and after fledging.[18]

Common Cuckoo chicks fledge about 17–21 days after hatching,[2] compared to 12–13 days for Eurasian Reed Warblers.[21] If the hen cuckoo is out-of-phase with a clutch of Eurasian Reed Warbler eggs, she will eat them all so that the hosts are forced to start another brood.

In Europe, hearing the call of the Common Cuckoo is regarded as the first harbinger of spring. Many local legends and traditions are based on this. In Scotland, a number of Gowk Stones exist, sometimes associated with the arrival of the first cuckoo of spring. "Gowk" is an old name for the Common Cuckoo in northern England,[4] derived from a harsh repeated "gowk" call the bird makes when excited

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Reed_warbler_cuckoo.jpg
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 07:02:20 PM by Eva Hedwig »
May 27, 2014, 09:58:48 PM
Reply #5

roonwit

I liked the first book and I am looking forward for the second one (hoping JKR will write a dozen or more) I will get it as audiobook, this way I enjoy every single sentence as surprise. 

I am sure we will read/hear more about Robin,  his ex, Lucy.  Maybe not so much about Matthew, ( I hope Robin ditch him).
Lucy is Strike's sister, not his ex. I think Lucy will appear in a few sections. His ex may put in a brief appearance or be mentioned, but I doubt she will be significant. I think Matthew will remain in the background, with several mentions and perhaps a few appearances but not a major role. I think he will be a bit more understanding about Robin working as a detective, though still not that interested.

As to the plot, I am tempted to suspect the wife, but I doubt Jo would repeat herself by having the client twice, but I do think it won't be an obvious suspect.
May 28, 2014, 12:15:54 AM
Reply #6

Eva Hedwig

Lucy is Strike's sister, not his ex.

I well remember who is who, I didnt say "his ex Lucy,"    I said Robin,  his ex, Lucy.  :)
May 28, 2014, 07:46:41 PM
Reply #7

roonwit

Lucy is Strike's sister, not his ex.

I well remember who is who, I didnt say "his ex Lucy,"    I said Robin,  his ex, Lucy.  :)
Sorry, I was fooled by the spacing.
June 08, 2014, 02:04:34 AM
Reply #8

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
Ooo, JKR has released the first two chapters of The Silkworm on Robert Galbraith's website, here.  This answers at least the question of where Strike is living now, and gives us just a hint of his newest case.  :sherlock:

So what do you think? Are you excited to read more?  (Please use spoiler tags if you are revealing details from these new chapters before the new book is released!)

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
June 08, 2014, 08:13:26 AM
Reply #9

Eva Hedwig

thank you,  paint it black  for sharing the link. I had a quick look into it and like it   8)   Glad its only 10 days left.
June 08, 2014, 05:01:34 PM
Reply #10

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Oh thanks for that link! I also read it and am very excited to read the entire book! Can't wait for it to come out!
June 08, 2014, 08:34:02 PM
Reply #11

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Well ... I did a little Googling and found out that the silkworm is not a worm at all but a caterpillar of a moth. This Caterpillar spins a cocoon made of a single strand/thread of silk - made from a protein that is produced by the salivary glands of the caterpillar. Its main diet is that of mulberry leaves specifically from the white mulberry tree. ... The silkworm has now been so domesticated that it cannot survive without human intervention.
Interesting, very interesting... Thanks for looking that up!  :thumbup:

The two things that really stands out in that text, to me, are these: This Caterpillar spins a cocoon made of a single strand/thread of silk and The silkworm has now been so domesticated that it cannot survive without human intervention . I wonder if either of those two facts about the silkworms will come into subtle play?

We know from the small info text that has been online for months now, that the disappeared husband (Mr Quine) that Cormoran will be asked to look for is a novelist who has just finished writing poisonous pen-portraits of all his acquaintances and that a good number of them might get their lives ruined if it goes to print. Maybe this is the "single strand" that  Quine has spun and which will "earn him" solitude and the need to hide - however unsuccessfully in a "cocoon" of sorts?

While any connection to silk, easily brings associations to China, I wonder, as Jo's associations often are very subtle, whether that link would be too common? So maybe not? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Like Eva Hedwig, I wouldn't mind to meet a Robin who has moved on from her very boring Matthew, but I don't know how likely that is either? Maybe she'll drop him before the book ends, I can always hope.  ;)  Or maybe I should hope that he's improving...  I suspect we'll see more of Lucy (although I don't think her role will be bigger than in CC), and I hope we won't see too much of Cormoran's ex.

I am not sure what to make of the title, ... or a name for the killer, who could spin a thread of lies around people to cocoon them in this fake truth he wants them to believe.
That's an interesting thought...  :hmm: Another possibility could be that not all poisonous pen-portraits are true, and Quine himself is the Silkworm who has spun this net of lies as a cocoon around his victims...?

That said the premise of the book looks very interesting, much more than Cuckoo's summary was, ...  So with all that new information, I am even more anxious to get my hands on that book.
Me too!

Also, I noticed something interesting about the excerpt:
Spoiler
It is written entirely from Cormoran's point of view, whereas CC began (after the intro) from Robin's point of view. I wonder if we will see the story more from his perspective than hers this time around?  :mcgonagall2:

As to the plot, I am tempted to suspect the wife, but I doubt Jo would repeat herself by having the client twice, but I do think it won't be an obvious suspect.
If it's an obvious suspect it would be the first time Jo has ever written anything obvious, so I tend to agree there. :) Also, while it is a bit early to have suspicions on the plot, (excerpt info hidden)
Spoiler
I wonder if the client he turns away in the excerpt, has anything to do with Quine?
:mcgonagall2:

So what do you think? Are you excited to read more? 
Oooh yes! I can't wait! I wonder why it has to come out 19 June precisely, as I am going to spend most of that day on a train. But maybe I can download it from Amazon or similar in the morning so I can read it on the train?  :train:

(Assuming of course that they'll sell to my country on that day....)
June 10, 2014, 12:40:45 PM
Reply #12

Marielle

Very Interesting Evreka, it could be about the victim and what lead to him being assassinated. I hadn't thought of that!.

Well I loved the very small excerpt, just a few more days!
June 15, 2014, 08:14:41 PM
Reply #13

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
I love the various thoughts on spinning a thread to either hide or deceive.  I'm very tempted to look at the two chapters but I know that it will leave me frustrated that I can't continue the story so I'm just waiting for the 19th, then I'm going to a bookshop, buy it and take myself off to a cafe for a very large coffee and settle into a squishy chair to read. 

June 22, 2014, 05:55:01 AM
Reply #14

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I just finished it (late last night) and would LOVE for a Place to discuss it in, where there is no need for spoiler protections.
June 22, 2014, 09:18:49 PM
Reply #15

Dreamteam

• Resident Mod Wrangler
  • Administrator
Well I finished it in a couple of days and loved it - I love Cormoran and Robin but then beautifully drawn characters is to be expected with this author  :)   I did have my suspicions about the identity of the murderer - in fact I suspected about four different people but was proved wrong in the end (as usual  :what:  ).  As for Robin and Matthew's relationship I liked the way that was dealt with
Spoiler
- at least Matthew now has a better understanding of what Robin wants and is prepared to live with it. 

June 23, 2014, 09:02:37 AM
Reply #16

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I just finished it (late last night) and would LOVE for a Place to discuss it in, where there is no need for spoiler protections.
When you are through the book, come join the Cuppa Presents: "The Silkworm" by Robert Galbraith (Jo Rowling) for some in-depth, no need to spoiler protect (except thread titles) discussions!