April 19, 2018, 06:07:18 PM

Author Topic: Connections Game  (Read 10849 times)

June 08, 2014, 08:05:56 PM

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
We have a wonderful new game suggestion from Buckbeak 26: The Connections game!  :thumbup:

Game Rules:
1. The player who starts the round chooses a fandom (Harry Potter, Doctor Who, etc) and puts up between 4 and 10 questions.  The answers to all these questions have some kind of real-world connection between them.
2. Other players will try to answer all these questions and guess what the connection is.  Each player puts in a complete list of all answers plus the connection within one post.
3. One player is not allowed to put in two consecutive guesses/posts, but you can guess again after another player posts their guess (or after the round leader posts a reply to your first guess).
4. The first player to post the correct list of answers and the connection wins and gets to start a new round.
5. Please keep in mind that we are an international group, and as such, the connection must be either something that's broadly known, or something that can be easily Googled.
6. If one or more incorrect guesses have been put in, the round leader has the option of giving out clues, but it's not mandatory.
7. You should choose a fandom that is well-represented here on the Discussion Station, otherwise you run the risk of having no one who could answer your questions.

Please remember to also follow the general rules and guidelines for the Recreation Center here that apply to all game threads.

==================================
Example:

Fandom: Harry Potter
Question 1: Who is Harry's godfather?
Question 2: Who is the only confirmed female Death Eater?
Question 3: Who stole the locket Horcrux from the cave?
Question 4: Who is Tom Riddle Jr.'s mother?

Answers:
1. Sirius
2. Bellatrix
3. Regulus
4. Merope

Connection:
They are all named after stars.
==================================

I'll start the first round.

Question 1: What is the name of Ron Weasley's new pet owl?
Question 2: What is Vincent's surname?
Question 3: What potion helps keep werewolves from becoming dangerous when they transform?
Question 4: What spell did the Death Eaters use to enforce curfew in Hogsmeade in DH?
Question 5: What does Snape hate to be called?

Put your thinking caps on, and have fun!   :jester:

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 09:19:26 PM by ss19 »

June 10, 2014, 06:31:18 PM
Reply #1

siena

1/ Pigwidgeon
2/ Crabbe
3/ Wolfsbane Potion
4/ Caterwauling Charm
5/ Coward.

I have highlighted my answer - all those terms/names have the name for an animal hidden within.

(Pig, Crab, Wolf, Cat, Cow)
June 10, 2014, 07:51:23 PM
Reply #2

ss19

• Administrator
Perfect, siena! :) Over to you!
June 10, 2014, 08:24:40 PM
Reply #3

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Oh!  :headbang: I got the first four and the connection.... and then I couldn't think of any animal in Snivellus name....  :P   :headbang:

Congratulations, siena!
June 12, 2014, 08:04:03 PM
Reply #4

siena

and then I couldn't think of any animal in Snivellus name....  :P   :headbang:

Don't let ss19 see you used that name for good old Snapey  :P

Okay - this will not be nearly as brilliant as the previous two examples I'm afraid  ;)

1. Who owes a life debt to Hagrid?
2. Who saves the trio's life twice?
3. Which character is described as gangly and freckly? 
4. Which character does Hermione have a rather huge crush on?
5. Who is described as having  a rather haughty look about her?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 08:09:58 PM by siena »
June 14, 2014, 12:31:54 AM
Reply #5

nellythemarrow

• Here be marrows of the vegetable variety.
OK, not sure I've got this, but...

Spoiler
1. Firenze
2. Aberforth Dumbledore
3. Ron Weasley
4. Gilderoy Lockhart
5. Narcissa Malfoy

Is the connection that they're all blue-eyed?

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
My Pottermore username is QuillStone22
June 14, 2014, 12:38:36 PM
Reply #6

siena

OK, not sure I've got this, but...

1. Firenze
2. Aberforth Dumbledore
3. Ron Weasley
4. Gilderoy Lockhart
5. Narcissa Malfoy

Is the connection that they're all blue-eyed?

Very well done indeed, Nelly  :nod:  Big  :thumbup: from me !!!!

Your turn  :)

By the way, Buckbeak, this game really is a great idea  8)
June 16, 2014, 03:23:48 AM
Reply #7

nellythemarrow

Very well done indeed, Nelly  :nod:  Big  :thumbup: from me !!!!

Your turn  :)
Oh, wow, hadn't expected that! Erm, right, thinking up a round (surprisingly challenging, but fun)...

Fandom: Doctor Who (thought I'd grab that one  :tardis: )

1. What kind of alien was Skaldak, who chased Clara around a submarine?
2. Who was the president of America that gave a live TV broadcast when meeting a new alien race - the Toclafane - at Harold Saxon's insistence?
3. In which episode did we meet Clara Oswin Oswald, the Victorian governess?
4. In 2010 episode Amy's Choice, the Doctor and company had to choose between old age pensioners and what other deadly danger?
5. Which two-part story featured the return of the Silurians for the first time since 1984?
6. Which city was nearly flooded by buxom fish from space posing as vampires, spoiling Amy and Rory's wedding present?

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
June 17, 2014, 02:55:39 AM
Reply #8

ss19

• Administrator

That question was a last-minute substitution for a different question I had in mind.  It was meant to serve the purposes of making the round a little more difficult and allowing me to mention Snape.  I'm glad it succeeded in its first purpose for Evreka:P

As for siena's last round, I could only answer 4 of the questions, and of those, only 3 turned out to be correct.  I didn't pick up the connection either, and was impressed that nellythemarrow got it!

I'll give the new Doctor Who round a shot:

1. Ice Warrior
2. Arthur Colman Winters
3. The Snowmen
4. being frozen
5. The Hungry Earth and Cold Blood
6. Venice

Connection: They all include something cold: ice, winter, snowmen, frozen, cold, and ice again.

June 17, 2014, 02:59:32 AM
Reply #9

nellythemarrow

I'll give the new Doctor Who round a shot:

1. Ice Warrior
2. Arthur Colman Winters
3. The Snowmen
4. being frozen
5. The Hungry Earth and Cold Blood
6. Venice

Connection: They all include something cold: ice, winter, snowmen, frozen, cold, and ice again.
:owlso: :snowman:  :thumbup: Bravo! This is correct. :) Your turn, ss19!

June 17, 2014, 07:47:58 PM
Reply #10

ss19

• Administrator
Thank you, nellythemarrow!  Nice, cool round for summertime!  8)

Questions:
1. Which actress took on the role of the Fat Lady in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone?
2. Who has the same animal for his/her animagus form and patronus?
3. Who was Bill's best man when he got married?
4. Who taught Harry the rules of Quidditch?
5. Who passed up a career in Quidditch to take on a profession that's even more dangerous in terms of the potential for personal injury?
6. Which male character has long hair and and wears an earring?
7. Who did Ron once embrace as his "wife" before he was actually married?
June 17, 2014, 09:12:34 PM
Reply #11

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix

That question was a last-minute substitution for a different question I had in mind.  It was meant to serve the purposes of making the round a little more difficult and allowing me to mention Snape.  I'm glad it succeeded in its first purpose for Evreka:P
Glad to be of help.   :grawp:  ;)

Ok, I'll give it a go, but I do not really believe this...
1. Which actress took on the role of the Fat Lady in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone? Dawn French
2. Who has the same animal for his/her animagus form and patronus? Pettigrew  :what:
3. Who was Bill's best man when he got married? Charlie Weasley
4. Who taught Harry the rules of Quidditch? Oliver Wood
5. Who passed up a career in Quidditch to take on a profession that's even more dangerous in terms of the potential for personal injury?  Charlie Weasley - Again??   :-\
6. Which male character has long hair and and wears an earring?  Bill Weasley
7. Who did Ron once embrace as his "wife" before he was actually married? Lavender Brown

Connection: They all have a "W" in their names?  :what:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:15:37 PM by Evreka »
June 18, 2014, 01:25:08 AM
Reply #12

ss19

• Administrator
Sorry, Evreka, the connection is incorrect, and 3 of the 7 answers are incorrect.  Good try though!  I won't say which of the answers are incorrect yet, to give everyone a chance to work this out for yourself, but I'll give hints about them as we go if the round remains unsolved...

3. Who was Bill's best man when he got married? Charlie Weasley

5. Who passed up a career in Quidditch to take on a profession that's even more dangerous in terms of the potential for personal injury?  Charlie Weasley - Again??   :-\

Hint #1: These two answers are correct.  The name appearing twice is intentional and meant to be a hint that the connection is some sort of list and that name (or part of that name) appears twice on the list.
June 18, 2014, 01:32:28 PM
Reply #13

siena

1. Elizabeth Spriggs
2. Minerva McGonagall
3. Charlie Weasley
4. Ron Weasley
5. Charlie Weasley
6. Bill Weasley
7. Mrs Mary Cattermole

P.S. I have to leave the connection for somone else to solve I'm afraid  :(

I thought of a few things: Minerva is a Roman Goddess of Wisdom, Elizabeth means Oath of my God, Mary is biblical  but Bill (William) and Charlie (Charles) don't have any religious meanings as far as I'm aware ...

There are botanical (Sprigg, )  and animal references (mole, weasel ) as well but not throughout ...

I'm lost  ???
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 09:20:35 PM by siena »
June 19, 2014, 02:45:10 AM
Reply #14

ss19

• Administrator
1. Elizabeth Spriggs
2. Minerva McGonagall
3. Charlie Weasley
4. Ron Weasley
5. Charlie Weasley
6. Bill Weasley
7. Mrs Mary Cattermole

Getting closer, siena, but not quite right yet!  Two of your answers are not the ones I was looking for.  They're not "wrong" technically, though, so I'll go ahead and tell you which ones they are.

For #2, it's true that McGonagall has the same animal for her animagus form and her patronus, but there's another character who fits the description who has the connection to the other answers.

For #4, Ron does explain some of the Quidditch rules to Harry on the train, you're right, but Evreka's previous guess, Oliver Wood (who explained Quidditch to Harry in a more complete and official manner), was the answer I was looking for.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:48:34 AM by ss19 »
June 19, 2014, 05:25:48 AM
Reply #15

nellythemarrow

Aargh I really want to figure this out, I've spent a lot of time staring at the list now....  :reading: I've got to put a guess in or I'll kick myself for not trying at all...

OK, my attempt:

1. Elizabeth Spriggs
2. James Potter 
3. Charlie Weasley
4. Oliver Wood 
5. Charlie Weasley
6. William Weasley
7. Mary Cattermole

Connection... this is probably wrong... that they've all been monarchs of England (though Oliver called himself Lord Protector) and also if you added another James after the second Charles they would even be in order, skipping Richard after Oliver who didn't last long...

June 19, 2014, 03:30:10 PM
Reply #16

ss19

• Administrator
1. Elizabeth Spriggs
2. James Potter 
3. Charlie Weasley
4. Oliver Wood 
5. Charlie Weasley
6. William Weasley
7. Mary Cattermole

Connection... this is probably wrong... that they've all been monarchs of England (though Oliver called himself Lord Protector) and also if you added another James after the second Charles they would even be in order, skipping Richard after Oliver who didn't last long...

:owlso:

You have all the correct answers, and the connection is indeed that they've all been English monarchs.  More specifically, they're the English monarchs in the 17th century, in chronological order.  Or so I thought.  The lists I was able to find online (I looked up multiple sources to be sure) had just these names.  They did not include a second James nor a Richard.  I'm sorry if those should have been on the list.  Just goes to show you that you can't always trust information you find on the internet...
June 19, 2014, 07:25:03 PM
Reply #17

siena

I NEVER think of James Potter ... I think my brain refuses to acknowledge him ... :P

I have to say something about the answer to question 4 though, ss19:

In PS, Chapter The Journey from Platform 9 and 3/4 it says:

"What's your Quidditch team?" Ron asked.
  "Er -- I don't know any," Harry confessed.
  "What!" Ron looked dumbfounded. "Oh, you wait, it's the best game in the world --" And he was off, explaining all about the four balls and the positions of the seven players, describing famous games he'd been to with his brothers and the broomstick he'd like to get if he had the money. He was just taking Harry through the finer points of the game when the compartment door slid open yet again, but it wasn't Neville the toadless boy, or Hermione Granger this time.

It is clearly stated here that Ron gives Harry a pretty thorough explanation of the rules of Quidditch in my opinion, and he is the first one to do so.  Okay, he did get interrupted when he got to the finer points, but still. Oliver Wood doesn't explain much more apart from demonstrating the different balls, etc. It's more hands-on obviously as they are on a pitch. I think the question would have been better phrased: Who demonstrated the rules to Harry or Who showed Harry how to start playing Quidditch. Just a thought.

But anyway - well done NellyTheMarrow for finally solving this  :thumbup: - obviously you don't suffer from James amnesia ... :lol:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:14:04 PM by siena »
June 19, 2014, 09:37:37 PM
Reply #18

ss19

• Administrator
I NEVER think of James Potter ... I think my brain refuses to acknowledge him ... :P

I actually thought of this when I saw your guess, thinking we'll need to rely on someone else to come up with James.  ;D

I have to say something about the answer to question 4 though, ss19:

In PS, Chapter The Journey from Platform 9 and 3/4 it says:

"What's your Quidditch team?" Ron asked.
  "Er -- I don't know any," Harry confessed.
  "What!" Ron looked dumbfounded. "Oh, you wait, it's the best game in the world --" And he was off, explaining all about the four balls and the positions of the seven players, describing famous games he'd been to with his brothers and the broomstick he'd like to get if he had the money. He was just taking Harry through the finer points of the game when the compartment door slid open yet again, but it wasn't Neville the toadless boy, or Hermione Granger this time.

It is clearly stated here that Ron gives Harry a pretty thorough explanation of the rules of Quidditch in my opinion, and he is the first one to do so.  Okay, he did get interrupted when he got to the finer points, but still. Oliver Wood doesn't explain much more apart from demonstrating the different balls, etc. It's more hands-on obviously as they are on a pitch. I think the question would have been better phrased: Who demonstrated the rules to Harry or Who showed Harry how to start playing Quidditch. Just a thought.

Yes, you're right.  I'm sorry I didn't make the question more clear.  To be honest, I had forgotten that Ron explained Quidditch to Harry until I saw your guess.  If I had remembered, I would have phrased the question differently or used a different question for Oliver Wood.

But anyway - well done NellyTheMarrow for finally solving this  :thumbup: - obviously you don't suffer from James amnesia ... :lol:

:lol: This is too funny!  Now we have a term for your ... uh ... condition.
June 20, 2014, 12:37:31 AM
Reply #19

BillieMac

I was gobsmacked at this one, ss19. Who would have though an American would do one with an English monarchs connection? Would I have gone that way if Nelly the Marrow or Potter 2005 had come up with this one? Probably not, as Cromwell was not a legitimate king.

Btw, can we be said to actually suffer from James amnesia?  :lol:  :snape: