December 19, 2018, 12:28:27 PM

Author Topic: Connections Game  (Read 13935 times)

February 06, 2016, 09:59:42 PM
Reply #180

nellythemarrow

• Here be marrows of the vegetable variety.
1. Hoodwinked a powerful magical artefact.
2. Roonil Wazlib and Half-Blood Prince.
3. Petty crooks.
4. Special Award for Services to the School trophy.
5. Great-Uncool Algie.
6. Daniel Radcliffe, acted Harry Potter.
7. Directed Harry Potter moovies.
8. Continually.

As you can see, they all have double letters, particularly 'oo'... yeah... OK, slightly struggling with this one lol.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
My Pottermore username is QuillStone22
February 07, 2016, 01:52:18 PM
Reply #181

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I can see that you've really struggled hard to come up with a way to combine them.  :lol: ;) Unfortunately the connection isn't what I had in mind, and though all answers are arguably correct (more or less *cough* 5 *cough*), some of those need rewording for the intended connection to shine through.

Answers that are perfectly fine as given (disregarding what are bold): 1, 2, 4, 6.

3)   How would you describe Willy Widdershin’s and Mundungus Fletcher’s “occupation” for want of a better word?
3. Petty crooks. : Well, yes, but I am looking for a much more direct description...  :hmm:

5)   What relative of Neville thought getting something sweet was more important than keeping Neville from harm?
5. Great-Uncool Algie. There will be no need of creative spellings in this "class"... Ahem...  :umbridge:

7)   What do Cuarón, Newell and Yates have in common?
7. Directed Harry Potter moovies. Yes, so then they all are...?

8 )   How long would you assume everlasting icicles to stay frozen?
8. Continually. True. But you need to replace this with another, most specific, word along the same line of thought...

Because so many of your guesses are technically correct, though not fitting what I had in mind, I'll add another clue, although I'll need to change category to Rowling's works:

0)   Who is Cormoran Strike's secretary?
1)   What reason does Moody give to be sure that it was a skilled witch or wizard who put Harry’s name in the Goblet of Fire?
2)   Whose properties were Ron’s and Harry’s Potions books in year 6, according to the names written inside them?
3)   How would you describe Willy Widdershin’s and Mundungus Fletcher’s “occupation” for want of a better word?
4)   Where do Ron first recognize the name of Tom Riddle from?
5)   What relative of Neville thought getting something sweet was more important than keeping Neville from harm?
6)   What real life male person does most readily comes to people’s mind when they think of Harry Potter and why is that?
7)   What do Cuarón, Newell and Yates have in common?
8 )   How long would you assume everlasting icicles to stay frozen?

Extra hint: One word in each answer, will "fit" someone or something IRL, it has nothing to do with spelling or letters within answers. Some of those words need to be combined with each other, for the connection to show.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 06:11:38 PM by Evreka »
February 21, 2016, 04:28:24 AM
Reply #182

nellythemarrow

Ooh ooh ooh ooh, OK, so, I missed your extra hint for a while, but now I think...

0. Robin Ellacott.
3. Thieves.
5. Great-Uncle Algie.
6. Daniel Radcliffe, acted Harry Potter.
7. They are film directors.
8. Always.

OK, not sure how everything ties in. But is the connection Alan Rickman and things he did? So he was in Robin Hood Prince of Theives, he was an actor and director. Famous line in Harry Potter - always. He did win awards.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
February 21, 2016, 07:56:40 AM
Reply #183

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Ooh ooh ooh ooh, OK, so, I missed your extra hint for a while, but now I think...

OK, not sure how everything ties in. But is the connection Alan Rickman and things he did? So he was in Robin Hood Prince of Theives, he was an actor and director. Famous line in Harry Potter - always. He did win awards.
:) :snape: :) :snape: :) YES! The connection is Alan Rickman. And your line of thought is great, we just need to get the last answer attached to the rest.

Answers 0-4, 7 and 8 perfect:

0. Robin Ellacott.  :)
1. Hoodwinked a powerful magical artefact. :)
2. Roonil Wazlib and Half-Blood Prince. :)
3. Thieves. :)
4. Special Award for Services to the School trophy.  :madeye: You nailed the connection here in your reason.
5. Great-Uncle Algie.  :ron: Your answer is correct, but how does it fit in? 
6. Daniel Radcliffe, acted Harry Potter.  :harry: Yes, he did. But I was really playing for a related noun rather than a verb. And while this was never emphasized and is seemingly nit-picking and I had intended to accept this as is, I now think you need the noun to understand where 5 gets in.
7. They are film directors. :)
8. Always. :)

Hint: One word from all of these answers describe him and some aspects of his life. Several of these words must be combined with each other [into phrases, for want of a better word] to become a description....  Does this help?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 08:01:42 AM by Evreka »
February 21, 2016, 04:06:04 PM
Reply #184

nellythemarrow

:hmm: Hm, ok, so...

0. Robin Ellacott.
3. Thieves.
5. Great-Uncle Algie.
6. Daniel Radcliffe, Harry Potter actor.
8. Always.

So is this it? Alan Rickman, who was in Robin Hood Prince of Theives, won awards, was a great actor in Harry Potter (or just a great actor, full stop), a film director, always?  :snape:

February 21, 2016, 09:24:30 PM
Reply #185

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
:hmm: Hm, ok, so...

0. Robin Ellacott.
3. Thieves.
5. Great-Uncle Algie.
6. Daniel Radcliffe, Harry Potter actor.
8. Always.

So is this it? Alan Rickman, who was in Robin Hood Prince of Theives, won awards, was a great actor in Harry Potter (or just a great actor, full stop), a film director, always?  :snape:
:snape: :yay: :stars: :slytherinb: :snape: Perfect!

Sorry for coming up with something so tricky, it turned out more obscure than I thought it would be. (In fact, I thought some of the Snape fans would get it in no time.) Great actor and great HP actor both works, though I was thinking of great actor.

Well done!