January 21, 2018, 06:48:40 PM

Author Topic: Connections Game  (Read 9751 times)

June 21, 2014, 01:11:26 AM
Reply #20

nellythemarrow

• Here be marrows of the vegetable variety.
Aw poor James, he's not really feeling the love, is he?

I'm amazed I got that round! That was a great one, ss19, had my brain whirring. And apparently I'm very bad at realising I've got the right answer. I would like to dedicate the win to Horrible Histories, without whom I would never have learnt my kings and queens (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARxf7pMRJo;) They are wise :lol:

Would I have gone that way if Nelly the Marrow or Potter 2005 had come up with this one? Probably not, as Cromwell was not a legitimate king.
Well, he was head of state, which was what the monarchs were, too. And he arranged it so that his son would inherit his position. There were a lot of similarities between Cromwell's claimed status and the one he fought so hard to abolish  :annoyed:

Sorry I took a while to come up with something. I doubt my round will be as fun as ss19's was, but here goes:

Fandom: Harry Potter

1. Whose brother's wedding had an unwelcome ghost turn up, and he/she had to go to the Ministry of Magic to stop the ghost from stalking him/her?
2. What powder-blue object was mistaken for both a dragon and a flying house?
3. What spell was McGonagall interrupted from trying to use for the first time by Filch shouting that students were out of bed and in the corridors?
4. Stan Shunpike has claimed many things, but what is his real job on the Knight bus?
5. What is the incantation for the spell that caused Harry's wand to spin when he held it flat in his palm?
6. Why could one of Albus Dumbledore's blemishes potentially come in useful for him?
7. What is the side effect of the Pepperup Potion?
8. Which hotel had about a hundred letters arrive at their front desk, none of which were read by the one to whom they were addressed?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 01:37:27 AM by nellythemarrow »

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
My Pottermore username is QuillStone22
June 21, 2014, 12:53:00 PM
Reply #21

siena

1. Olive Hornby's
2. The Beauxbaton Carriage
3. Piertotum Locomotor
4. Conductor
5. Point Me (Four Point Spell)
6. He has a map of the Tube (Underground) of London imprinted on his skin - so I assume he could potentially find his way around the tube network (and London) very easily
7. It causes steam to come out of the drinker's ear for hours.
8. Railview Hotel.

Connection: All the answers have something to do with trains and movement. Hornby is the name for a model train company; a carriage could be part of a train; Locomotor comes from Locomotion meaning to move from one place to the other, a term often connected with trains; a Conductor is a ticket collector not only on  co buses but also on trains; Point Me (the Four Point Spell) has something to do with motion/directions, which could also be connected to trains as they go in different directions; Dumbledore's map of the tube (Underground Train in London)  is self-explanatory; steam could refer to old-fashioned steam engine trains; Railview Hotel has the connection in the name.
June 21, 2014, 05:21:29 PM
Reply #22

nellythemarrow

• Here be marrows of the vegetable variety.
1. Olive Hornby's
2. The Beauxbaton Carriage
3. Piertotum Locomotor
4. Conductor
5. Point Me (Four Point Spell)
6. He has a map of the Tube (Underground) of London imprinted on his skin - so I assume he could potentially find his way around the tube network (and London) very easily
7. It causes steam to come out of the drinker's ear for hours.
8. Railview Hotel.

Connection: All the answers have something to do with trains and movement. Hornby is the name for a model train company; a carriage could be part of a train; Locomotor comes from Locomotion meaning to move from one place to the other, a term often connected with trains; a Conductor is a ticket collector not only on  co buses but also on trains; Point Me (the Four Point Spell) has something to do with motion/directions, which could also be connected to trains as they go in different directions; Dumbledore's map of the tube (Underground Train in London)  is self-explanatory; steam could refer to old-fashioned steam engine trains; Railview Hotel has the connection in the name.
:stars: Bravo! Yes, the connection was trains  :train: . For Locomotor I was more thinking of locomotives as being the similar word but locomotion is such a similar word too, it all works! And for point me I was thinking of points on a track but that's essentially what they do, so yeah, well done!  :clap: Your round, siena :)

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
My Pottermore username is QuillStone22
June 23, 2014, 01:50:09 PM
Reply #23

siena

Thank you  :) I enjoyed playing !

Some questions were tricky but at least there wasn't a James involved  :P

Well thought through  8)

I'm sorry about the delay, but this does need some thinking. I think this will be quite easy:

1. About whom or what is Madame Maxime worried about straight after her arrival?
2. Which place has once been referred to as a "Muggle dung hill" ?
3. Who once gave a crisp banknote to Dudley?
4.  Who does Harry want to speak to through a fire?
5. Who was once mistakenly thought  to be male?
6. Who else of the Durmstrang student guests apart from Victor Krum do we know by name?
7. What do Dumbledore and Hagrid get up to after Buckbeak's escape?
June 25, 2014, 11:17:37 PM
Reply #24

BillieMac

1. About whom or what is Madame Maxime worried about straight after her arrival?
2. Which place has once been referred to as a "Muggle dung hill" ?
3. Who once gave a crisp banknote to Dudley?
4.  Who does Harry want to speak to through a fire?
5. Who was once mistakenly thought  to be male?
6. Who else of the Durmstrang student guests apart from Victor Krum do we know by name?
7. What do Dumbledore and Hagrid get up to after Buckbeak's escape?

1. Her flying horses
2. Spinners End
3. Aunt Marge
4. Sirius Black
5. Norbert(a) the Norwegian Ridgeback
6. Poliakoff
7. Drinking an alcoholic beverage.

The connection is alcoholic beverages:
Madame Maxime's horses only drink single malt whiskey.
Snape serves elf made wine to the (nee) Black sisters when they come to call.
Marge gets drunk on brandy the night she goads Harry into cursing her.
Sirius develops a drinking problem while cooped up in 12 Grimauld Place.
Dragon hatchlings must be fed a bucket of brandy mixed with chicken blood every half hour.
Poliakoff had spilled wine down the front of his robe.
As I said: drinking an alcoholic beverage. I don't remember if it was brandy or something harder.

So, either I can do my corrections in time and win, or I've handed a win to someone else. Ah well- at least I got a hand in to one of these.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:02:23 PM by BillieMac »
June 26, 2014, 09:07:46 AM
Reply #25

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Whether it is the correct connection or not, that is siriusly ( ;) ) impressive work, BillieMac! I've been stumped on this one too, and I am so amazed at people's cleverness!  :ravenclawb:
June 26, 2014, 12:02:15 PM
Reply #26

siena

:bravo:  BillieMac, very good work  8)

Now I just need you to answer question 6 and to tell me how the answer fits in. C' on now, you know the answers  :)
June 26, 2014, 05:32:36 PM
Reply #27

BillieMac

I have now edited in the correct response to question 6, so now my previous post can be checked. I'll look up the other details now.
Eta: Question 7- The specific drink has proven excessively difficult to research. All of the Victoria Library's copies of PoA are out, at least at this branch, and HPWiki hasn't been any help. For the same reason, I only had the film to go on for Marge's drink, so I crossed my fingers and changed my answer.

Evreka, I'm almost embarrassed to tell you- it took me 5 minutes to get this. It was the specific wording of my answer to 7 that gave me the connection. Funny- if I'd been able to remember the exact beverage, I might not have gotten the connection at all.  :lol:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:08:16 PM by BillieMac »
June 26, 2014, 06:42:32 PM
Reply #28

siena

Your answer to question 6 Poliakoff is correct, Billie.  However, the connection you pointed out is not quite correct. He had not spilled wine down himself.

The drink asked for in question 7 is Brandy. But drinking an alcoholic beverage answered the question well enough in my opinion., and you made the right guess anyway. Marge (3) also drank rather a lot of wine (as well as brandy) on that occasion.

Anyway, I'm sure you will solve (6) in no time  :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 07:03:00 PM by siena »
June 27, 2014, 05:56:05 PM
Reply #29

BillieMac

Got it! Poliakoff had dribbled wine down the front of his robes.

Quite different from spilling, I agree, which explains Karkaroff's use of the word "disgusting".
June 27, 2014, 06:01:59 PM
Reply #30

siena

Got it! Poliakoff had dribbled wine down the front of his robes.

Quite different from spilling, I agree, which explains Karkaroff's use of the word "disgusting".

No, I'm afraid he did neither spill nor dribble wine down himself but something quite different  :(
The connection with an alcoholic drink has nothing to do with any spillage ...

Hint: Karkaroff and Krum are involved as well.
June 27, 2014, 06:04:12 PM
Reply #31

BillieMac

Hmm. I'm getting home tonight. Looks like I've got a date with my copy of GoF. Does this mean I've got the connection wrong?
June 29, 2014, 01:45:01 PM
Reply #32

siena

Maybe I'm a bit picky here  ::) - you solved everything else so well, BilleMac  :)

Karkaroff offers Krum some Mulled Wine; Krum declines, but Poliakoff hopefully expresses  that he would like some wine. Karkaroff gets rather cross with him and points out that he has dribbled food all over his robes and refuses him the wine.

It's your turn now  :)
I realise we can't always remember every little detail and you got most of the answers spot on anyway.
July 02, 2014, 09:44:54 PM
Reply #33

BillieMac

Thanks, siena. I don't have anything prepared, so I'll be back on Friday for my round.
July 04, 2014, 10:44:02 PM
Reply #34

BillieMac

This was tough for me to think up, with so much else on my mind. Thank goodness the rules allow as few as four questions.

Fandom: Star Trek

What stringed instrument was Spock seen playing?
Which comedy character from The Naked Time took a serious turn in The Conscience of the King?
What was Uhura listening for when they went back in time in The Voyage Home?
What did Worf request of the four armed woman in Reunification?
Who played the Klingon chef on DS9?
What is the Doctor's favourite pastime (on or off the holosuite)?
July 11, 2014, 05:46:29 PM
Reply #35

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
 :hmm:  Are we sure we have any players who are fans of Star Trek, apart from BillieMac?   :what:
July 11, 2014, 07:30:36 PM
Reply #36

BillieMac

Well, I wasn't the only contributor to the Star Trek thread, but it has been dormant awhile. Apparently, you're not much of a Trekkie yourself, Evreka, or you would have taken a shot.
It's discouraging, as Star Trek was my next step into fandom after Bradbury.  :(
Let me know in a PM if you think it's time for me to pick something from a different fandom. (And don't worry- I won't get vindictive and do something from '70s Battlestar Galactica, tempted as I am.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 07:34:24 PM by BillieMac »
July 12, 2014, 12:20:44 AM
Reply #37

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
I will now bravely have an attempt at most of the questions. Maybe someone else can spot the connection if I have them right.  ;D

Vulcan lute/lyre/lyrette
Kevin Riley
?
Klingon Opera
Ron Taylor
Tennis

I still have my thinking cap firmly on.

July 12, 2014, 09:33:37 PM
Reply #38

BillieMac

You have 1, 2, 4 and 5 correct, River Spirit (And all this time I thought it was Barry White!)
For 6, you've got the wrong doctor. It's not Dr. Bashir, but Voyager's EMH.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:47:05 PM by BillieMac »
July 12, 2014, 09:42:18 PM
Reply #39

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
You have 1,2 and 4 correct, River Spirit
For 6, you've got the wrong doctor. It's not Dr. Bashir, but Voyager's EMH.
You've made me unsure about question 5, now. I'd better do more research, because if I'm wrong, my whole connection falls apart. Of course, I could just change the question to something else about the chef.
Thanks, BillieMac. I thought I had the connection with the first two and then it fell apart. My thinking cap is still firmly on my head.  :jester:

1. Vulcan lute/lyre/lyrette
2. Kevin Riley
3. Whale songs?
4. Klingon Opera
5. Ron Taylor
6. Singing???
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:08:54 PM by RiverSpirit »