November 21, 2018, 06:39:21 AM

Author Topic: Connections Game  (Read 13464 times)

July 12, 2014, 09:49:14 PM
Reply #40

BillieMac

You posted while I was modifying my post. Here's the amendment:
You have 1, 2, 4 and 5 correct, River Spirit (And all this time I thought it was Barry White!)
Eta: you also now have 3 and 6 correct. put it all together, and you've got the connection.
Btw, I'm curious what you first thought the connection was.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:13:24 PM by BillieMac »
July 12, 2014, 11:10:02 PM
Reply #41

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
You posted while I was modifying my post. Here's the amendment:
You have 1, 2, 4 and 5 correct, River Spirit (And all this time I thought it was Barry White!)
Eta: you also now have 3 and 6 correct. put it all together, and you've got the connection.
Btw, I'm curious what you first thought the connection was.
[/quote]
You have 1,2 and 4 correct, River Spirit
For 6, you've got the wrong doctor. It's not Dr. Bashir, but Voyager's EMH.
You've made me unsure about question 5, now. I'd better do more research, because if I'm wrong, my whole connection falls apart. Of course, I could just change the question to something else about the chef.
Thanks, BillieMac. I thought I had the connection with the first two and then it fell apart. My thinking cap is still firmly on my head.  :jester:

1. Vulcan lute/lyre/lyrette
2. Kevin Riley
3. Whale songs
4. Klingon Opera
5. Ron Taylor
6. Singing

All I can see is a musical connection. My first idea for connection was that part of the first answer was contained in the letters of the next.

Still thinking.  :jester:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:12:37 PM by RiverSpirit »

July 14, 2014, 07:33:24 PM
Reply #42

BillieMac

All I can see is a musical connection. My first idea for connection was that part of the first answer was contained in the letters of the next.
Still thinking.  :jester:

Well, start thinking of the questions for your turn, River Spirit! Music is the connection, and you're my winner!
 :bravo:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:35:14 PM by BillieMac »
July 14, 2014, 09:28:22 PM
Reply #43

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
Thanks, it had me a bit confunded for a while!

Now for a short one - HP fandom :mcgonagall2:

1. This Godric's Hollow resident was also famous.
2. Harry's first "nemesis"?
3. A most Charming man.
4. I always trusted him.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 09:15:41 AM by RiverSpirit »

July 16, 2014, 10:51:17 AM
Reply #44

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I'll have a go...

1. This Godric's Hollow resident was also famous: Bathilda Bagshot
2. Harry's first "nemesis": Dudley Dursley
3. A most Charming man: Filius Flitwick
4. I always trusted him: Severus Snape

Bagshot, Dursley, Flitwick and Snape are all towns in the UK ?
July 17, 2014, 06:48:44 AM
Reply #45

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
  :thumbup: Well done, Evreka you are absolutely correct.

Over to you......

July 17, 2014, 07:01:46 PM
Reply #46

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
 :stars: Thank you!

OK, here we go....

Fandom:  :harry: (HP)

1) Not exactly the most silent plant....
2) What incantation refused to work for Harry in the Cave when the need was dire?
3) What is above Slytherin Common Room?
4) What creature did Professor Snape erratically (according to the Beast Book's info) place in Mongolia?
5) What neutralizes Basilisk Venom and also heals Acromantula bites?
July 17, 2014, 11:17:33 PM
Reply #47

BillieMac

I only have a few, but I'll give somebody a start.

2) What incantation refused to work for Harry in the Cave when the need was dire?
4) What creature did Professor Snape erratically (according to the Beast Book's info) place in Mongolia?

1) Mandrake
2) ?
3) The Lake
4) The Kappa. (Did you mean erroneously?)
5) Phoenix Tears

I think water is the connection:
In real life, mandrake root grows in bogs.
They were on a rock outcrop in a lake in the cave.
The kappa carries water in an indentation at the top of its skull.
Tears are salt water.

So, for lack of the answer to one question, I haven't won this round. (Yet. But if I get back to it in time...)
July 18, 2014, 03:18:02 PM
Reply #48

siena

2. Aguamenti
July 18, 2014, 05:26:05 PM
Reply #49

BillieMac

Of course. There were just so many to choose from.
July 18, 2014, 10:10:56 PM
Reply #50

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
(Did you mean erroneously?)
Yes, thanks for the correction. Hopefully I'll remember it to next time. :)

1) Mandrake
2) ?
3) The Lake
4) The Kappa. (Did you mean erroneously?)
5) Phoenix Tears

I think water is the connection:
In real life, mandrake root grows in bogs.
They were on a rock outcrop in a lake in the cave.
The kappa carries water in an indentation at the top of its skull.
Tears are salt water.

So, for lack of the answer to one question, I haven't won this round. (Yet. But if I get back to it in time...)
2. Aguamenti
You're both right, BillieMac got everything but one question, but since siena took the last remaining part:

Congratulations, siena, you've won!   :train: Your turn!

Of course. There were just so many to choose from.
I'm sorry, I had forgotten about Enervate/Rennervate, but when you knew the connection, you could have chanced on the Spell that brings out water... These are the only two Spells that refuses to work for Harry, at the time when things are the most dire, as Albus seems to be dieing. Accio, failed to work much earlier, when Harry was "just" keen to leave the cave as soon as possible. Further Enervate might have worked, had Albus been stunned, so...

There are a few Spells that doesn't have the intended effect on the Inferi, Sectumsempra and others, but these all work to cast, they just don't stop the Inferis' attacks.

My reasoning behind these answers were:
1) Mandragora is a real life plant which traditionally has been used to make divining rods/dowsing rods, with which one is supposed to be able to detect water.
2) Aguamenti is the Spell that brings forth water.
3) Obvious
4) Kappas are Japanese water demons.
5) Yes, tears are salt water.

But BillieMac's reasoning works just as well.  :thumbup:

Edit: Spelt out IRL.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 09:22:30 AM by Evreka »
July 19, 2014, 12:18:40 PM
Reply #51

siena

You're both right, BillieMac got everything but one question, but since siena took the last remaining part:

Are you sure - I mean BillieMac solved most of the questions and the connection, while I contributed just one  :what:
And another question: The info about the Kappas and Snape comes from Fantastic Beasts and is not included in the main books. Is that okay for this game? Just thinking - because for Twenty Questions/Hangman it would not be okay  ???

July 19, 2014, 12:50:04 PM
Reply #52

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix

Are you sure - I mean BillieMac solved most of the questions and the connection, while I contributed just one  :what:
I've discussed it with both ss19 who started this game and RiverSpirit and the decision is unanimous. So, yes.  :)

There was a reason why I discussed it with them, though, precisely the one you point out. But one of the rules for this game says you need to have all answers to win. And you provided the last one... so... It's all yours!

And another question: The info about the Kappas and Snape comes from Fantastic Beasts and is not included in the main books. Is that okay for this game? Just thinking - because for Twenty Questions/Hangman it would not be okay  ???
Seeing that this isn't limited to the HP fandom at all, which the other two threads you mention are, this do have different rules.

Further 20 Questions HP and HP Quote Game specifically mentions the restriction to just HP Books PS/SS - DH in their respective first posts, so that rule is specific to those threads.

HP Hangman, however is NOT limited to words and phrases from these books, but to the world of Harry Potter, more generally. We've had a few examples of people using words from the HP world and stringing them together in other ways than the books does. 

So, no this does not have to come from just the HP books PS/SS - DH.

(Finally, I you don't think you need the Beast book to recognize the creature: 4) What creature did Professor Snape erratically (according to the Beast Book's info) place in Mongolia?
This:
4) What creature did Professor Snape ... place in Mongolia? relates to POA, in which we also can find that kappas are water-dwelling creatures.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 12:58:17 PM by Evreka »
July 19, 2014, 09:55:46 PM
Reply #53

BillieMac

I totally agree, siena. I couldn't answer all the questions, and there's nothing in the rules against finishing off what a previous player has built on, so you're the winner.
July 26, 2014, 06:24:54 PM
Reply #54

siena

I totally agree, siena. I couldn't answer all the questions, and there's nothing in the rules against finishing off what a previous player has built on, so you're the winner.

Okay, I have to accept this. Although I do still think this rule is a bit odd  ;)

Fandom: Harry Potter (sorry, I'm not a Star Treck follower; and I've never watched Dr Who - I'm expecting to be deported any time soon  :P

1. Which of his many animal friends does Hagrid have the least problems with?
2. Which character has a Scottish (probably Norman origin) name for a small man ?
3. Whose character's name comes from the Spanish mondongo (meaning stomach linings) ?
4. Emma Watson reportedly had a crush on the actor of which Harry Potter character when she was very young?
5. Which character is described looking a little bit like Dumbledore, but not quite like him?
July 27, 2014, 09:03:56 PM
Reply #55

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Fandom: Harry Potter (sorry, I'm not a Star Treck follower; and I've never watched Dr Who - I'm expecting to be deported any time soon  :P
Hardly, HP fans are always welcome here.  :harry:

So a start for someone else to build on....

1. Which of his many animal friends does Hagrid have the least problems with? Fang?
2. Which character has a Scottish (probably Norman origin) name for a small man ? Pettigrew?
3. Whose character's name comes from the Spanish mondongo (meaning stomach linings) ? Mundungus Fletcher?
4. Emma Watson reportedly had a crush on the actor of which Harry Potter character when she was very young? Draco Malfoy
5. Which character is described looking a little bit like Dumbledore, but not quite like him? Aberforth?

As for the connection I am pretty lost... :what:

The only thing I can think of is snake, but ... I'm not sure how well it fits all the answers...  :hmm:

Snakes have fangs.
Peter Pettigrew is a rat, which is part of a snake's diet.
According to Google there was a man called Pat Fletcher who was (is?) known as Snake Man?
Draco is a Slytherin, the House of the Snakes.
Dumbledore [Albus] owns a silver instrument that once showed a snake...?

A first shot anyway...  :)
July 29, 2014, 12:00:05 PM
Reply #56

siena

Evreka, you did a very good job - answers 1- 4 are absolutely right  :)

And I think that you got the last one wrong is more my fault than yours.

In the relevant book, the character I'm looking for is described as follows:

He was tall and thin like Dumbledore, but his silver hair was short /.../

I think this might point you in the right direction; also regarding the conclusion.   I'm sorry - my previous phrasing was ambiguous.
July 29, 2014, 10:21:31 PM
Reply #57

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
And I think that you got the last one wrong is more my fault than yours.

In the relevant book, the character I'm looking for is described as follows:

He was tall and thin like Dumbledore, but his silver hair was short /.../

I think this might point you in the right direction; also regarding the conclusion.   I'm sorry - my previous phrasing was ambiguous.
No problem! Thanks for the extra detail.

Next try...

1. Which of his many animal friends does Hagrid have the least problems with? Fang
2. Which character has a Scottish (probably Norman origin) name for a small man ? Pettigrew
3. Whose character's name comes from the Spanish mondongo (meaning stomach linings) ? Mundungus Fletcher
4. Emma Watson reportedly had a crush on the actor of which Harry Potter character when she was very young? Draco Malfoy
5. Which character is described looking a little bit like Dumbledore, but not quite like him? Igor Karkaroff?

Now I think the connection might be cowards ...?   :hmm:

Fang is certainly no brave dog, and  :hagrid: himself calls him a coward when Draco wants his company at the excursion into the Forbidden Forest in PS/SS.
Peter Pettigrew is also a coward, who rather sells his best friends to Voldemort than stand up for what is right. He also runs repeatedly rather than take responsibility for his actions.
Fletcher behaved as a coward when he Disapparated during the 7 Potters chapter in DH.
Draco behaves cowardly at a number of times: not least in the Forbidden Forest in PS/SS.
Karkaroff was supposedly too coward to return to the Death Eaters when they were summoned in GOF. (Might be seen as a smart move too I guess...)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:23:42 PM by Evreka »
July 31, 2014, 04:18:27 PM
Reply #58

siena

Yes, that is absolutely right  :nod:

Of course it is a bit tricky to label some of these characters. I am sure Fang would defend Hagrid if need be - he does so in OoTP when Umbridge attacks him in the dead of night. (Speaking of Umbridge, I should have included her). You could probably also argue that Pettigrew and Malfoy showed some bravery when following Voldemort's instructions ... I don't know, it's hard to say ... ;)

However - over to you, you did well  :)
August 08, 2014, 09:21:22 AM
Reply #59

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
OK, not the most ingenious of riddles, but anyway, here we go....

Fandom: Harry Potter  :harry:

1) What did Draco demand for company when he should serve detention in the Forbidden Forest?

2) The spell responsable for Hermione not attending the Potions class, in which the fourth years are covering antidotes, and to which Colin Creevey is sent to fetch Harry early.

3) What non-shrieking plant, and the reason for this, are the second years especially warned about on their first lesson with the Mandrakes?

4) How did Harry refer to his 13th year birthday present from Hagrid, as he reflected on its ominousness?

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:38:48 AM by Evreka »