August 17, 2018, 07:57:47 PM

Author Topic: The Beauty is in the Eyes of the Beholder  (Read 1113 times)

May 29, 2014, 09:34:28 PM

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
siena wrote the following in the Member News Bulletin a few days ago, and it is so interesting we Moderators feel it warrants its own thread.

Quoting siena:
http://maxi.wunderweib.de/leben/artikel-3324226-leben/Bin-ich-schoen-Verblueffendes-Experiment-gibt-Antwort.html

I have just viewed this on the website of a German magazine (the video is in English, don't worry  ;D ). It is about the discrepancy of how we often view ourselves negatively and how others perceive us. I found it very moving and I wanted to share it.[/quote]
Wow! Thanks for sharing that video, it was really interesting!  :thumbup:

I guess I could learn from it, if I took the message to heart.  :)

Beauty is such an interesting thing, it differs for all of us. But perhaps, as siena's videos suggests, it is never so hard to spot, as in yourself? What do you think?

What do YOU make of these stunning tests made? Do you think these results would apply to you too?

Do you have any other thoughts on Beauty?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 07:32:58 AM by Evreka »

June 05, 2014, 07:46:37 PM
Reply #1

BillieMac

As much as I hate syrupy motivational one liners, this video proves that one of them is so true:
"The best beauty treatment is a smile".
They all looked so much better after hearing what the strangers thought of them.
June 14, 2014, 05:32:38 PM
Reply #2

siena

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=litXW91UauE

I have another video for you conducted by toiletry brand Dove. It is most interesting and revealing as well. Enjoy  :)

As much as I hate syrupy motivational one liners, this video proves that one of them is so true:
"The best beauty treatment is a smile".
They all looked so much better after hearing what the strangers thought of them.

You are so right, BillieMac  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 05:50:08 PM by siena »
June 22, 2014, 09:57:12 PM
Reply #3

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=litXW91UauE

I have another video for you conducted by toiletry brand Dove. It is most interesting and revealing as well. Enjoy  :)
I found this very interesting as well, although I think it would have been interesting to know how the artist would have drawn them if he'd seen them too.... It gives a new emphasize to the phrase "The Beauty is in the Eyes of the Beholder"!  :thumbup:

This last test is also interesting when one considers "ghost images" or whatever it is called, ie the pictures drawn from victim's memories of culprits, and of how a missing Child would look 5 or 10 years later.

In the former case, do you think the drawing is swayed in the other direction? That people might emphasize on "uglier" or scarier parts of such people's faces, instead of being more forgiving to their looks?
June 26, 2014, 07:28:50 PM
Reply #4

siena

I found this very interesting as well, although I think it would have been interesting to know how the artist would have drawn them if he'd seen them too....

You know, I don't even think he would have been able to do that tis well. I think a forensic artist has to rely very much on Other people's impressions and descriptions. He realises other people's visions, not his own. It's a fascinating field, isn't it?

This last test is also interesting when one considers "ghost images" or whatever it is called, ie the pictures drawn from victim's memories of culprits, and of how a missing Child would look 5 or 10 years later.

In the former case, do you think the drawing is swayed in the other direction? That people might emphasize on "uglier" or scarier parts of such people's faces, instead of being more forgiving to their looks?

Definately. It is all about how people treat us. A criminal obviously doesn't treat us well, so we would tend emphasize his/her negative features I think. This also works towards the other end. If someone respects us and is kind to us, we will soften their features I think, or just focus on the nice features, a nice smile, etc.  I think in these experiments the people who had to describe the strangers felt kind towards them, as you normally would, because you haven't built up any prejudices yet I think.

I have just watched another ad made by toiletry brand Always. Unfortunately I'm having difficulty posting the link, but if you go on youtube and search: Always#LikeAGirl you should be able to view it. Some people ( women and men and a boy) get asked to perform different actions like running or jumping, etc. like a girl. Their interpretations of that are highly interesting. Afterwards, some young girls get asked to perform the same movements. And their interpretations are quite different ...

(P.S. I'm not associated with any of these brands by the way)
July 15, 2014, 08:23:31 PM
Reply #5

siena

This is something that addresses inner beauty and it touched me very much. It is something that Dumbledore or Lupin or maybe even McGonagall or Professor Sprout might have posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/07/15/barrowford-school-letter-children-exam-results_n_5587925.html
July 17, 2014, 04:56:47 PM
Reply #6

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
What a lovely letter. I have sent this on to friends I have that work in schools. I would suggest we all do this to spread the word!