January 23, 2018, 04:13:35 AM

Author Topic: What made your day today?  (Read 1661 times)

August 29, 2014, 08:58:39 PM

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
What Made Your Day Today?
Let's look at the Bright Side of Life

:yay:

For some reason it is often easier to remember all the bad stuff that came your way during a day, but I think we can all agree that remembering the highlights are way more fun! :) Sometimes it can make wonders on your mood, to consider what was the best thing that happened today...

While the huge, over the moon kind of moments, might not happen often, it is sometimes possible to spot the tiny little thing that put a silver lining to an otherwise grey normal day - or even a dismal one. :) It could be anything from the best thing that's happened so far in your life, to catching a bus you nearly missed, getting inside before the cats and dogs started to come tumbling down from the sky  ;), or getting a post card from a good friend....

Let's share the everyday highlights that constitute the bright side of today!  :flower:

Post Merge: August 30, 2014, 05:23:25 PM
A couple of days ago, it was a cold and windy day that could have belonged well in October or so, I found the following view card in my inbox when I came home from work:

Simple as it was, it really made my day! They're such heart warmers, I have them sitting beside my computer since then, smiling at me.  :crookshanks: And I must say that the second one makes me think of Bob!  :lol:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 05:23:25 PM by Evreka »

August 31, 2014, 07:13:03 PM
Reply #1

siena

Have you watched any of the Simon's Cat videos yet, Evreka - I think they'd probably make another day for you  ;D

Something really nice happened to me the other day (not today, exactly, but still  ;)

I often go to a coffee shop in my city, where they have one particular comfy seat. It is more like a sofa really - once you sink into it, you don't want to ever get up again. The shop is very crowded, but whenever I manage to secure that sofa I feel like the cat that got the cream. However, quite some time ago an elderly lady  came in, and I noticed that she  looked longingly at the sofa. Of course I did offer her the seat (although I do have to admit not that happily to be honest  ;)) and she was very grateful and told me that she has back problems and that the back rest of the sofa supports her best. So I continued to give up the sofa for her whenever I had managed to secure it before she came in.

The other day I came into the shop and noticed her already sitting in her favourite place. But when she saw me, she got up and insisted paying for my usual Cappucchino, Muffin and Panini.

I thought it was really sweet of her and it made my day  :)
September 03, 2014, 05:06:41 PM
Reply #2

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
I woke up this morning to more depressing world news.  :( It wore on me as I dressed in my swimsuit to go to my aquatics workout. I worried over the state of the world and all the people in jeopardy  :'(  as I drove to the work-out place. But as I began to exercise and concentrate on the moment at hand,  I gradually came to realize that it was a beautiful day out!  The sun was shinning on this warm end of summer day, and I had been given the opportunity to exercise with this wonderful instructor and a great group of people. My corner of the Universe was all I could effect at the moment. Worry over things I had no control over was doing no one any good. So I just started to smile  :) and it was contagious! I saw others smiling right back at me  :) :) :). It's a lesson we should all take with us, you may not be able to solve the world's problems but you can make your little corner of the world a happier, more blessed, place than it was a few minutes ago!  :)
September 03, 2014, 05:47:03 PM
Reply #3

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
So I just started to smile  :) and it was contagious! I saw others smiling right back at me  :) :) :). It's a lesson we should all take with us, you may not be able to solve the world's problems but you can make your little corner of the world a happier, more blessed, place than it was a few minutes ago!  :)
Very true indeed.  :hug:  :)

I've just arrived home from a trip to Harry Potter - the Exhibition which - incredibly - has visited one of Sweden's towns (Norrk√∂ping) this summer.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw it was coming (t)here, as this exhibition has previously been shown in HUGE, HUGE cities like Boston, Toronto, Seattle, New York City, Sydney and Singapore. And now, unbelievably, it has been in little Norrk√∂ping, which is nowhere near the others in size!  :o After a lot of hesitation on whether I should go or not, as nothing really, can possibly beat Leavesden where I was in 2012, I finally made my way down there today!  :yay: It totally did my day today! (I'll post more about it in Platform 9 3/4, after dinner, but this particular part fitted here.)   
September 03, 2014, 06:49:29 PM
Reply #4

siena

My corner of the Universe was all I could effect at the moment. Worry over things I had no control over was doing no one any good. So I just started to smile  :) and it was contagious! I saw others smiling right back at me  :) :) :). It's a lesson we should all take with us, you may not be able to solve the world's problems but you can make your little corner of the world a happier, more blessed, place than it was a few minutes ago!  :)[/color]

I disagree vehemently. I think, we should, ALWAYS, try to ask ourselves, how we could, at any given moment, try to contribute to a change in the world. And I do mean within our capability of course. WE CAN ALWAYS DO SOMETHINg, HealerOne and Evreka. We can sign a petition, our inform ourselves about current affairs. It's OUR THOUGHTS that count.  Smiles, HealerOne and Evreka, are not enough. Being content with ourselves is NEVER enough.

Just some food for thought ... ;)

September 05, 2014, 08:51:35 PM
Reply #5

BillieMac

On Wednesday I posted to the Game Room mods suggesting a Doctor Who 20 Questions game.
Today I logged on to find that Rudius Hagrid had granted my wish. And I think I won the first round, too.
September 05, 2014, 09:11:03 PM
Reply #6

nellythemarrow

• Here be marrows of the vegetable variety.
On Wednesday I posted to the Game Room mods suggesting a Doctor Who 20 Questions game.
Today I logged on to find that Rudius Hagrid had granted my wish. And I think I won the first round, too.
It made my day on Wednesday (or Thursday morning) when the round was pointed out to me  ;D So thanks for that, BillieMac8)

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
My Pottermore username is QuillStone22
September 06, 2014, 10:41:10 PM
Reply #7

BillieMac

You're welcome, Nelly. :hug:

Even better, I was wrong about being the first winner. It was you. :bravo:.
September 12, 2014, 08:57:24 PM
Reply #8

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I'm just home from a nice party at my job,  :grouptalk: I have some really fun folks at my job, who can really make you laugh!  :lol:
September 18, 2014, 09:02:53 PM
Reply #9

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Two days ago I and a friend tried to get tickets online for an on-going show about one of the biggest kings of the revues that Sweden had for the first half of the 20th century, Karl Gerhard. Unfortuantely there were no tickets available due to its popularity.

Yesterday, my friend managed to go by the theatre, by noon, and we were incredibly lucky because we managed to get two returned tickets, for top seats the same night!!!  :yay:

So that's what I was doing yesterday; and the show was absolutely great!  :stars:
September 18, 2014, 11:05:22 PM
Reply #10

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Two days ago I and a friend tried to get tickets online for an on-going show about one of the biggest kings of the revues that Sweden had for the first half of the 20th century, Karl Gerhard. Unfortuantely there were no tickets available due to its popularity.

Yesterday, my friend managed to go by the theatre, by noon, and we were incredibly lucky because we managed to get two returned tickets, for top seats the same night!!!  :yay:

So that's what I was doing yesterday; and the show was absolutely great!  :stars:

That's wonderful Everka! :yay: Glad you enjoyed the show!

You know when you get those annoying super large postcards in the mail? Advertising political candidates or some product you have no use for? I got one the other day and it came to the rescue! It was so hot outside that I used the stupid thing for a fan! Whew, did it feel great as I was scuttling about getting my garbage ready to move to the curb. Nothing like a little breeze to help cool you down. Even when I came inside to the air conditioning, I couldn't get cool enough, so I just sat and fanned myself for awhile. One never knows when a little blessing like that will occur! I sure can't wait for the weather to cool down here, but it will probably be mid-October before that happens ...
September 19, 2014, 05:47:56 AM
Reply #11

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
I got a new job today, in a library. My dreams have come true! :reading:

September 19, 2014, 09:19:36 PM
Reply #12

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
You know when you get those annoying super large postcards in the mail? Advertising political candidates or some product you have no use for? I got one the other day and it came to the rescue! It was so hot outside that I used the stupid thing for a fan! Whew, did it feel great as I was scuttling about getting my garbage ready to move to the curb. Nothing like a little breeze to help cool you down. Even when I came inside to the air conditioning, I couldn't get cool enough, so I just sat and fanned myself for awhile. One never knows when a little blessing like that will occur! I sure can't wait for the weather to cool down here, but it will probably be mid-October before that happens ...
Using it as a fan sounds like a really cool idea!  ;) There's few things that beat some sort of fan when it's hot enough.

WOOOHOOOOO!  :stars: :yay: :stars:

Congratulations! That sounds awsome!  :hermioneread:
September 20, 2014, 03:07:58 PM
Reply #13

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator

Congratulations, RiverSpirit!  That's great news!

For me, this wasn't today exactly, but over the summer I traveled to a part of the country I haven't been to before to visit family, and while I was there, I was able to meet up with two friends I hadn't seen for 23 years, plus a third friend whom I only saw once about 6 years ago since I moved away from them 23 years ago (the three of them later moved away too but ended up in the same area).  That made me very happy, seeing and catching up with dear old friends.
September 20, 2014, 03:19:44 PM
Reply #14

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
For me, this wasn't today exactly, but over the summer I traveled to a part of the country I haven't been to before to visit family, and while I was there, I was able to meet up with two friends I hadn't seen for 23 years, plus a third friend whom I only saw once about 6 years ago since I moved away from them 23 years ago (the three of them later moved away too but ended up in the same area).  That made me very happy, seeing and catching up with dear old friends.
Oh, that's awsome! There's nothing like catching up with old friends.  :trio:

On my first year at university, longer ago than I care to admit ;), I was part of atrio of my own. :trio: One of us moved abroad later, and when he's been back to catch up with us (last a couple of years ago) it's always been absolutely great. It's like all of us know each other sooo well and yet are as good friends still as we were when he moved away. And yet we have very little contact with our moved out friend, between his sparse visits. :hug: 

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 03:21:21 PM by Evreka »
October 04, 2014, 11:36:42 PM
Reply #15

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
This past week saw some not so good things at work, including some misunderstandings, some "interesting" news and other such things that made me feel that perhaps it would be better to just drop a project I'm involved in. As I explained this to my mother, when we took a walk together, I used a Swedish expression, which is hard (for me) to express in English. Essentially it means that you feel ready to give up doing something. More literally you're saying that you've dropped (or lost) X. (Unfortunately, I can't find an English translation for the word.  :annoyed: So for the purpose of this post, I am going to replace it with [elephant] trunk, which at least is "sort of" close.)

So there we are ...walking... and talking... me feeling down and Mum trying to cheer me up...
I go: Yeah, but I've lost my "trunk".  :(  :(  :(
Mum: What a luck! Here it is!
Stooping to pick up an "invisible" "trunk" and handing it to me!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :hug:
I just burst out laughing, and after awhile it didn't seem so bad...

And then some things calmed down at work too, so it might really not be so bad after all. :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 11:38:40 PM by Evreka »
October 18, 2014, 09:16:32 AM
Reply #16

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I've finally done what I've been talking about for over a year and bought the entire HP book collection on Kindle from Pottermore. Woohooo!  :stars: :stars: :stars:

And now they've just been delivered to my Kindle!  :hedwig:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 12:27:51 PM by Evreka »
November 27, 2014, 05:34:57 PM
Reply #17

Pepper

What made my day is:

Being off work and sleeping a little later.

Wearing my favorite black and white sweater with off white cords.

Doing my exercises - walking in my neighborhood around the block five times.

Watching movies today and just relaxing being me.

:ginny:
November 27, 2014, 07:30:45 PM
Reply #18

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Watching movies today and just relaxing being me.
Sounds like a relaxing day altogether. :) The quoted part in particular, it's great when one has days like that.  :thumbup:
November 28, 2014, 03:14:20 AM
Reply #19

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
In the United States today was Thanksgiving, a day dedicated to gratitude for the bounty of the summer months and celebrating with - what else? Parades and Eating! I watched the Macy Thanksgiving Parade on TV this morning and then went to a good friend's house and we had a lovely turkey dinner with cranberries, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, creamed onions, pickled mushrooms with asparagus and of course pie! What a great spread and great company too. There were 10 of us all together. I love Thanksgiving. It is a low key, happy holiday. So easy to kick back and relax. Tomorrow starts the run up to the Christmas Holiday - it's almost another national holiday here. I plan to stay as far away from stores as I can, but maybe I will look at some things online ... Happy Thanksgiving everyone!