December 13, 2017, 12:57:41 PM

Author Topic: About this year's DADA teacher  (Read 769 times)

September 07, 2014, 02:29:39 PM

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
(I hope it's OK that I start this thread although we are currently still in the early chapters.)

Fake Moody :madeye: (aka Barty Crouch Jr) is one of the two competent DADA teachers (the other being Lupin :lupin:) during Harry's school years. Dean even told Umbridge :umbridge: the following year that despite being a Death Eater, he taught them loads. It is in fact partly because of his teaching that Harry :harry: survived his encounter with Voldemort :voldemort:.

So I was wondering, if Barty Jr hadn't become a Death Eater, would he have made a good teacher? At the very least, he would need good classroom management skills to conduct lessons that impressed the kids from the get-go - the real Moody wouldn't be able to step in to handle any tricky situations on his behalf. I wonder how much of the syllabus was what the real Moody would have covered if he hadn't been locked up.

September 07, 2014, 08:38:46 PM
Reply #1

roonwit

I think Barty Crouch would have made a reasonable teacher had he chosen not to be a death eater. He does a reasonable job of teaching while pretending to be Moody, which suggests a certain amount of talent as he couldn't get everything from the real Moody. You clearly don't have to be perfect to teach at Hogwarts, and Moody wouldn't be expected to be perfect, but Harry and the others seem to learn a lot from him.
September 07, 2014, 09:55:36 PM
Reply #2

nellythemarrow

• Here be marrows of the vegetable variety.
I think Barty Crouch would have made a reasonable teacher had he chosen not to be a death eater. He does a reasonable job of teaching while pretending to be Moody, which suggests a certain amount of talent as he couldn't get everything from the real Moody. You clearly don't have to be perfect to teach at Hogwarts, and Moody wouldn't be expected to be perfect, but Harry and the others seem to learn a lot from him.
Well they certainly say so, but on the other hand when Ron is helping Harry practise for the Third Task, he says there's no way they'd have learnt about all these spells in class, or words to that effect, so I do wonder what it is they did learn in that year, other than how to throw off the Imperius Curse (which, granted, is advanced knowledge, I expect) and I think deflecting curses comes up at some point? I can't really remember. Harry was at an advantage compared to the other students later on when he taught DADA himself in the DA. He could do Shield Charms and knew how to Stun etc. Perhaps Moody/Crouch didn't want them too able to defend themselves? Or just didn't get round to it? The former might imply being a Death Eater got in the way of his teaching and maybe the latter could mean that, like Lupin, he covered some things in depth, maybe, letting other subjects go. On the other hand Moody/Crouch must have taught them enough so that by the end of the year they still felt they were learning a lot. That must have meant real teaching and he could never have maintained that by letting a class get out of hand. They still seemed in awe of him.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
My Pottermore username is QuillStone22
September 08, 2014, 12:43:10 PM
Reply #3

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
Such a pity young Barty went to the dark side...

... when Ron is helping Harry practise for the Third Task, he says there's no way they'd have learnt about all these spells in class, or words to that effect, so I do wonder what it is they did learn in that year, other than how to throw off the Imperius Curse (which, granted, is advanced knowledge, I expect) and I think deflecting curses comes up at some point? I can't really remember. Harry was at an advantage compared to the other students later on when he taught DADA himself in the DA. He could do Shield Charms and knew how to Stun etc. Perhaps Moody/Crouch didn't want them too able to defend themselves? Or just didn't get round to it? The former might imply being a Death Eater got in the way of his teaching and maybe the latter could mean that, like Lupin, he covered some things in depth, maybe, letting other subjects go.

The reason for the Triwizard age limit was because the authorities deemed the tasks beyond the ability of 6th years and below. So a lot of those spells the trio were looking up might have been beyond the 4th year syllabus anyway.

Good point about fake Moody not wanting the kids to be able to defend themselves too well.
September 08, 2014, 04:45:55 PM
Reply #4

roonwit

Well they certainly say so, but on the other hand when Ron is helping Harry practise for the Third Task, he says there's no way they'd have learnt about all these spells in class, or words to that effect, so I do wonder what it is they did learn in that year, other than how to throw off the Imperius Curse (which, granted, is advanced knowledge, I expect) and I think deflecting curses comes up at some point? I can't really remember. Harry was at an advantage compared to the other students later on when he taught DADA himself in the DA. He could do Shield Charms and knew how to Stun etc. Perhaps Moody/Crouch didn't want them too able to defend themselves? Or just didn't get round to it? The former might imply being a Death Eater got in the way of his teaching and maybe the latter could mean that, like Lupin, he covered some things in depth, maybe, letting other subjects go. On the other hand Moody/Crouch must have taught them enough so that by the end of the year they still felt they were learning a lot. That must have meant real teaching and he could never have maintained that by letting a class get out of hand. They still seemed in awe of him.
Moody's brief seems to have been dealing with curses (to start with at least). It seems to have been down to Umbridge to teach defensive magic. Fake Moody would have had to stick to what Dumbledore had instructed to teach as I can't see the real Moody deviating too far from that.
Ironically, if fake Moody didn't want this pupils to be able to defend themselves he did a bad job because Harry found the lessons on resisting the Imperius Curse very useful.
September 09, 2014, 04:21:35 AM
Reply #5

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
Ironically, if fake Moody didn't want this pupils to be able to defend themselves he did a bad job because Harry found the lessons on resisting the Imperius Curse very useful.
There was a limit to how much fake Moody could cut from the syllabus set by Dumbledore and the real Moody without blowing his cover.

If this had happened during Quirrell's or Lockhart's year, it would have been a lot worse. Since those two didn't teach many useful things, Barty Junior would just go with it and not teach the kids many useful things either. Good thing Dumbledore got Moody as the teacher that year.

(If Harry had not managed to defeat Voldemort in his first year and Wormtail or another Death Eater managed to escape the same year, Lockhart won't even be in the running for the DADA job - Dumbledore would have gotten either Lupin or Moody.)
September 09, 2014, 06:01:47 PM
Reply #6

nellythemarrow

• Here be marrows of the vegetable variety.
There was a limit to how much fake Moody could cut from the syllabus set by Dumbledore and the real Moody without blowing his cover.
Possibly, though I just wrote about this in the Favourite Things Poll, but we do have evidence of Moody/Crouch lying about Dumbledore's orders in other circumstances. But if it was Crouch's intention to teach stuff that the students couldn't learn, then yes he did it very badly. But he might not have expected any student to be able to learn this stuff. Harry seems pretty advanced, to me, learning how to repel the Imperius Curse. I'm not sure Crouch could've predicted that, really. I'd love to know which other year groups Crouch taught this stuff to.

If this had happened during Quirrell's or Lockhart's year, it would have been a lot worse. Since those two didn't teach many useful things, Barty Junior would just go with it and not teach the kids many useful things either. Good thing Dumbledore got Moody as the teacher that year.

(If Harry had not managed to defeat Voldemort in his first year and Wormtail or another Death Eater managed to escape the same year, Lockhart won't even be in the running for the DADA job - Dumbledore would have gotten either Lupin or Moody.)[/font]
Quite likely, though in Pottermore we learned that
Spoiler
Dumbledore had wanted to oust Lockhart as a fake, anyway. But he would probably have saved that for less dangerous-looking times... Not that the Chamber of Secrets being opened was a picnic but I suppose we can't really blame DD for not foreseeing that!
. But yeah, interesting thought that had this happened another year then it would have been so much worse! Perhaps Crouch might even have given himself away by being too competent if he'd somehow ended up impersonating Quirrell (not that he'd have need to, there) or Lockhart. I'm glad we had the real Lupin, at least. Though I'd have loved to see how anyone could try to impersonate a werewolf transformation... I can't imagine the Wolfsbane Potion is that safe to drink for non-werewolves, either.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
My Pottermore username is QuillStone22
June 29, 2015, 11:54:50 PM
Reply #7

Misssyblantsybil

I wondered about that, but have realized Fakr Moody was probably teaching those Unforgivable curses so he could gauge HP's ability to resist them.  And, JKR needed to introduce them to us.