December 13, 2017, 12:58:53 PM

Author Topic: Chapter Nineteen: The Hungarian Horntail  (Read 424 times)

October 31, 2014, 01:21:15 PM

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
All chapter summaries have been indexed by JaneMarple9
Chapter Nineteen: The Hungarian Horntail
(Chap Summary by twiddlethosedials )

The First Task by oogalaboo

Harry is increasingly nervous about the First Task coming up, and he's getting the cold shoulder not just from the usual gang of enemies but also from people he considers to be friends. Under a tip from Hagrid with Moody's help, Harry learns the First Task will involve dragons. He just makes it back to the common room in time to meet Sirius, who was just about to give Harry some great advice about dragons when Surly Ron interrupts.

A few questions to get you started:
1) Why do you think Hermione is able to deal with the teasing from people over the Daily Prophet article so much better than Harry is?

2) Does the fact that it was Hagrid giving Harry the advance word about the dragons make it seem less like cheating to you? Is this kind of behavior inevitable in competitions like this?

3) What makes Sirius the one person Harry can talk to freely now? Why is Harry less concerned about causing Sirius to worry about him?

November 04, 2014, 08:49:03 PM
Reply #1

roonwit

1) Why do you think Hermione is able to deal with the teasing from people over the Daily Prophet article so much better than Harry is?
Hermione seems better at handling low-level taunting (though perhaps just on the surface), but explodes on occasions when pushed too far, so I think she handles things differently (nor necessarily better).
2) Does the fact that it was Hagrid giving Harry the advance word about the dragons make it seem less like cheating to you? Is this kind of behavior inevitable in competitions like this?
Harry isn't really cheating here, because he doesn't know that what Hagrid is showing him is related to the tournament until it is too late, and he balances this by telling the only champion who didn't by then know what he knew. But it does feel a lot less like cheating to receive help from Hagrid who is a long-term friend, than from someone like Bagman who Harry doesn't really know. Incidentally Fake Moody does a good job of telling Harry how to do the first task without it feeling too much like cheating.
3) What makes Sirius the one person Harry can talk to freely now? Why is Harry less concerned about causing Sirius to worry about him?
It is in part Sirius's willingness to listen without (at this stage) overreacting. Ron and Hermione are less good at this stage because they are likely to (as Harry sees it) overreact, and I think Harry finds it more difficult to share how he is feeling with his friends than with someone who is a bit more detached. I think Harry shows how important the behaviour of the person is because later in this book (following an instruction from Sirius) he does share important information with Dumbledore, but he is much less willing in OotP when Dumbledore seems to be distancing himself from Harry and avoiding him.
November 21, 2014, 11:57:20 PM
Reply #2

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator

I think the stakes are not quite so high for Hermione as they are for Harry.  She is smart enough to let the teasing of her peers roll off her back, but Harry is "famous", and worries that wide negative publicity of himself in The Daily Prophet will color how the entire British wizarding world sees him.  No one outside of Hogwarts is going to think anything of Hermione based upon something in the Prophet.

At first I wasn't too pleased with Hagrid for giving Harry this information when Harry wanted to play by the rules.  But really, if your good friend knew that you'd be facing a dragon and didn't tell you, what kind of friend would he be?  :hagrid:  I agree with roonwit that Harry wasn't really cheating here, since he didn't know what Hagrid was going to show him or why.

I think Harry initially didn't want Sirius to worry because he didn't want Sirius to do anything to jeopardize his freedom, like come back north.  That's already been done at this point.  He knows Sirius is well-hidden, and that Dumbledore and others at Hogwarts are able to guard his safety without Sirius coming out of hiding.  Also, I think Harry does not want to be coddled, just given straight advice, and he's discovering that Sirius is willing to treat him with this level of respect.

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
November 22, 2014, 11:59:34 PM
Reply #3

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale

I think the stakes are not quite so high for Hermione as they are for Harry.  She is smart enough to let the teasing of her peers roll off her back, but Harry is "famous", and worries that wide negative publicity of himself in The Daily Prophet will color how the entire British wizarding world sees him.  No one outside of Hogwarts is going to think anything of Hermione based upon something in the Prophet.

Overall Hermione does have better self-esteem than Harry and I think this is because she had been raised in a stable, loving family who supported her thoughts and actions. Obviously Harry hasn't had that advantage so when he gets criticism, He goes right into a defensive mode as he has been taught to do by the Dursleys. In fact until DD, Lupin and Sirius became his friends/mentors, Harry had no real support for any of his actions, so he was always having to defend himself.  As for what is said in the Daily Prophet affecting Hermione? Well eventually it does begin to get to her, but for now the pokes from the DP are just that - little pokes - not stabs yet. 

At first I wasn't too pleased with Hagrid for giving Harry this information when Harry wanted to play by the rules.  But really, if your good friend knew that you'd be facing a dragon and didn't tell you, what kind of friend would he be?  :hagrid:  I agree with roonwit that Harry wasn't really cheating here, since he didn't know what Hagrid was going to show him or why.

It appears to me, that Hagrid really doesn't take into account that he is giving away to Harry what the First Task will be. Perhaps he did want Harry to see what he would be up against, but honestly I think he just was so fascinated by dragons - and had shared that fact with Harry in the past (Norbert) - he just wanted to share the admiration of the dragons with some one he liked, i.e. Harry and Madame Maxime. I really don't think he sees this as cheating. You wonder how Moody suggested it to Hagrid? He must have been sly about it because I think Hagrid ordinarily would have considered that this might be helping Harry a bit too much. 

I think Harry initially didn't want Sirius to worry because he didn't want Sirius to do anything to jeopardize his freedom, like come back north.  That's already been done at this point.  He knows Sirius is well-hidden, and that Dumbledore and others at Hogwarts are able to guard his safety without Sirius coming out of hiding.  Also, I think Harry does not want to be coddled, just given straight advice, and he's discovering that Sirius is willing to treat him with this level of respect.
I totally agree with this  :thumbup: I think the fear of Sirius being arrested for something he didn't do, really weighs on Harry's mind. So Harry doesn't want to cause any fear on Sirius' part that might induce him to come back to where he might be in danger.