December 13, 2017, 12:57:21 PM

Author Topic: Chapter Twenty-Three: The Yule Ball  (Read 369 times)

November 14, 2014, 05:11:00 AM

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
All chapter summaries have been indexed by JaneMarple9
Chapter Twenty-Three: The Yule Ball
(Chap Summary by twiddlethosedials )

Snape and Karkaroff by mad carrot

Christmas Day arrives with Dobby standing over a sleeping Harry (what a wake-up call!), and a little gift exchange - socks and a Weasley sweater for Dobby, and really, quite a haul for a kid who never got presents before Hogwarts. Why anyone would ever get involved in a snowball fight with Fred and George, I have no idea.  Finally, it's dance time, and we finally find out Hermione's secret - she's HOT, and she's got a date with Krum. Speaking of secrets, we also learn why Hagrid's roughly the size and shape of a Dursley on Miracle-Gro - his Mum was a giant. And what dance would be complete without Ron completely putting his foot in his mouth?

A few questions to get you started:
1) Why is poor Ron so clueless about his own feelings for Hermione at this point?

2) Why does Snape make it his mission to blast defenseless rosebushes and expose trysting couples?

3) Why doesn't Harry trust Cedric's offer of help with the Egg?

4) Is anyone else bothered by how surprised everyone is that Hermione is actually pretty?

November 15, 2014, 12:37:56 PM
Reply #1

roonwit

1) Why is poor Ron so clueless about his own feelings for Hermione at this point?
I think it is inexperience, and he is having difficulty distinguishing between friendship and attraction.
2) Why does Snape make it his mission to blast defenseless rosebushes and expose trysting couples?
I wonder whether it is an expression of worry at the rise of Voldemort, though clearly he is taking pleasure in punishing those taking advantage of privacy provided by the bushes.
To my mind Harry does trust Cedric's hint, but his antipathy towards Cedric, who went to the ball with the person Harry wanted to go with, meant that he wanted to solve the egg problem without having to resort to using Cedric's hint.
December 14, 2014, 11:32:48 PM
Reply #2

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
Ron has been consumed with curiosity about whether Hermione could possibly have a date for the ball, and if so, who?  Now that he sees that she may be someone's potential object of affection, he may be panicking that he's missed the boat with Hermione, and that a good thing has been staring him in the face all along.  That's no excuse for how he treated poor Padma, though!  He can't be that clueless, he could have told her she looked nice, brought her a beverage, and danced with her at least once.  He's certainly not going to impress Hermione with that kind of behavior toward a date.

Because it's not a party for Snape unless everyone else is as miserable as he is...?  ;)  Maybe in his day he came across James and Lily engaging in such behavior and he's doing to these couples what he would have liked to have done to them.

I think Harry is completely willing to trust Cedric's advice until Cedric starts going out with Cho.  At that point, he doesn't want to be beholden to someone that Cho might like, because then it might turn out that she actually has good reason to like him.  At this point, Harry would prefer that Cedric was either too stupid to figure out the egg or too mean-spritied to give Harry good advice.  Of course, none of these are true, and Cedric is really just trying to be fair.

4) Is anyone else bothered by how surprised everyone is that Hermione is actually pretty?
Well, a little.  I think the boys are just surprised at how nice she looks, since she's usually all business and doesn't focus on her looks.  I don't think they are necessarily surprised that she is "actually pretty".  The girls I think are jealous of her date with Krum.  So sadly none of them are supporting her and telling her how nice she looks, but are looking down on her, as if she must have done something magical to snare Krum as her date.  I think only Krum appreciated all the effort that Hermione put into preparing for that evening.  It was nice, actually, to see that side of Hermione that is just a typical teen girl who wants to look nice for a big event.  :ronhermionehug:

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!