December 13, 2017, 01:01:19 PM

Author Topic: Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Dream  (Read 433 times)

November 28, 2014, 03:29:14 AM

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
All chapter summaries have been indexed by JaneMarple9

Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Dream
(Chap Summary by twiddlethosedials )

Fan Art by criz

The trio try to puzzle out what happened to Mr. Crouch and Krum, and Harry realizes Crouch was at his "sanest" when he was talking about Lord Voldemort. Moody asks Ron and Hermione to help Harry get ready for the third task. Sirius's letter arrives in a bit more parental fashion than normal - he dresses Harry down for walking with Krum and exhorts a promise from Harry not to step out of bounds anymore. In Divination, Harry nods off, dreaming of flight on an eagle owl to see Wormtail and a snake and hear a high-pitched voice. When Wormtail gets crucio'ed, he wakes in pain, and for once, listens to the advice to go tell Dumbledore.

A few questions to get you started:
1) Why do you think Crouch was strongest when speaking of Voldemort?

2) What do you think good ol' Professor Trelawney would have said about Harry's dream?

3) If Harry is connected to Voldemort, why is he able to feel the Crucio directed at Wormtail?

December 02, 2014, 08:25:39 PM
Reply #1

roonwit

1) Why do you think Crouch was strongest when speaking of Voldemort?
It might be the other way around, that when he is strongest and most in control he speaks of Voldemort. At other times he is at least partly under the control of the Imperius Curse and producing a confused version of the sort of chat the curse would instruct him to make when he was in the Ministry and other public places and needed to make some chat to appear normal.
2) What do you think good ol' Professor Trelawney would have said about Harry's dream?
I think she would have trouble accepting that what Harry saw was real because she doesn't believe her own prophesy of Wormtail helping Voldemort to return to power. Thus she would probably interpret it as symbolic of disaster coming to Harry (as she does with almost everything else). RIta would see it as further signs of Harry's madness, and probably wouldn't think it was real either . Even if she did consider it might be real she would prefer the story of Harry's madness because it was more likely to get published and sell papers, assuming she was even allowed to publish the story as truth.
3) If Harry is connected to Voldemort, why is he able to feel the Crucio directed at Wormtail?
I don't think Harry feels the pain of the Crucio curse, rather he feels the evil Voldemort is doing in casting the Crucio curse (it feels worse when he is actually on the wrong end of a Crucio Curse).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 08:55:53 PM by roonwit »
December 05, 2014, 02:40:40 AM
Reply #2

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
I don't think Harry feels the pain of the Crucio curse, rather he feels the evil Voldemort is doing in casting the Crucio curse (it feels worse when he is actually on the wrong end of a Crucio Curse).
Yes, I agree, Harry seems to  have a high connection to Moldy Vody's emotions and therefore what he feels is the intent of cruelty as Voldy performs the curse.
This connection was baffling to me for some time, but using my medical background, I knew that scar tissue carrys 'trauma memories' in it. There are times when manually working with scar tissue (Like in massage or manipulation of the tissue to gain range of motion) the patient would begin to re-live the trauma that caused it. Sometimes they even would re-live the emotions of the trauma.  So this is what I equated too. I thought Rowling was very clever in how she was able to link Moldy Voldy and Harry with the portion of Voldy's soul which resided in his scar.