December 13, 2017, 01:01:52 PM

Author Topic: Chapter Twenty-Seven: Padfoot Returns  (Read 453 times)

November 28, 2014, 03:33:19 AM

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
 All chapter summaries have been indexed by JaneMarple9
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Padfoot Returns
(Chap Summary by twiddlethosedials )

Padfoot Returns by trishna87

Ron is digging all the attention he gets from his involvement in the Second Task. Sirius wants Harry to bring as much food as possible to meet him at Hogsmeade. And Rita's revenge arrives in the next issue of Witch Weekly, which, to add insult to injury, results in 10 points taken by Snape, who reads some of the article aloud to the class. Turns out he thinks Harry stole from his office. We finally meet up with Sirius, who fills the trio in about Crouch, Snape, Bertha Jorkins and the atmosphere of violence in the first wizarding war.

A few questions to get you started:
1) Why would Snape carry Veritaserum on him?

2) What did you make of the conditions Sirius described as to the first wizarding war? Were the Ministry actions, i.e., fighting violence with violence, justified under those circumstances?

3) To live as a dog, risk capture by the dementors, and eat a steady diet of rats–just how much does Sirius love Harry?

November 29, 2014, 10:07:48 PM
Reply #1

roonwit

I think he was carrying it specially so that he could use it to threaten Harry given an opportunity (which he might be able to arrange).
2) What did you make of the conditions Sirius described as to the first wizarding war? Were the Ministry actions, i.e., fighting violence with violence, justified under those circumstances?
I think they went too far. It sounds like Moody struck the right balance by trying to treat his opponents reasonably and avoiding killing them where possible. Also the Ministry failed to restore peacetime standards fully once the war was over, for example by giving a proper trial to those who were imprisoned without one during the war.
3) To live as a dog, risk capture by the dementors, and eat a steady diet of rats–just how much does Sirius love Harry?
I think it would be easier for Sirius to eat rats in his dog form, but it still shows a great deal of personal sacrifice. On the other hand, Sirius has a limited choice because he is a hunted man and it would be difficult to live a normal life.
December 01, 2014, 05:32:50 PM
Reply #2

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
I think he was carrying it specially so that he could use it to threaten Harry given an opportunity (which he might be able to arrange).
Seeing as Snape thought Harry had been the one to break into his office and get the supplies for the Polyjuice potion, I think he deliberately was carrying the Veritaserum, so he could threaten Harry. Why he didn't use Ligilimency instead is up for grabs. Perhaps he thought a threat might be the most effective way to get Harry to talk.

I think they went too far. It sounds like Moody struck the right balance by trying to treat his opponents reasonably and avoiding killing them where possible. Also the Ministry failed to restore peacetime standards fully once the war was over, for example by giving a proper trial to those who were imprisoned without one during the war.
I totally agree. The Ministry went a bit crazy towards prosecuting people both before and after the War. Having the Dementors in the prisons didn't help the Ministry in the long run either. 

I think it would be easier for Sirius to eat rats in his dog form, but it still shows a great deal of personal sacrifice. On the other hand, Sirius has a limited choice because he is a hunted man and it would be difficult to live a normal life.
On the one hand it was a terrible way to live, but to Sirius I'm sure it was 100% better than living in Azcaban. I think he really felt the only way he could atone for all that had happened to his Godson was to fervently work to protect him in some way. I think Sirius at this point, would have gone to the ends of the earth to make sure Harry was safe.
December 01, 2014, 07:39:54 PM
Reply #3

roonwit

Seeing as Snape thought Harry had been the one to break into his office and get the supplies for the Polyjuice potion, I think he deliberately was carrying the Veritaserum, so he could threaten Harry. Why he didn't use Ligilimency instead is up for grabs. Perhaps he thought a threat might be the most effective way to get Harry to talk.
I don't think Snape wanted Harry to talk as he thinks he already knows what happened. He wants Harry to stop invading Snape's room and stealing potions ingredients (incidentally I like Jo's sleight of hand in making us think of Hermione's theft of Boomslang skin a couple of years ago, rather than Crouch Jnr.'s current use). If he did find evidence suggesting (to him) that Harry had been stealing, then he would much prefer Harry to make a public confession (for example after consuming Veritaserum during the evening meal) than confirming something he thinks he already knows in a way he couldn't use as evidence.