December 13, 2017, 12:59:20 PM

Author Topic: Chapter Thirty-One: The Third Task  (Read 390 times)

December 05, 2014, 02:19:38 AM

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Chapter Thirty-One: The Third Task
(Chap Summary by twiddlethosedials )

Enigma by Lizeth

Holy lots-of-stuff-in-one-chapter, Batman! Ready to get the cliffs notes? Here we go. The Trio spends lots of time in the Transfiguration classroom gearing up for the Third Task. Rita Skeeter's written another Harry-centric post, this one implying he is a dark wizard in the making!  Hermione disappears to the library. The Weasleys have arrived to stand-in for Harry's family. 

Bagman tries once again to "help" Harry, but he blows him off and it's maze time. Harry and Cedric go first, Harry finding his path unusually clear. A bizarre mist, a skrewt and one bewitched Krum later, it's only Cedric and Harry left. They split up, only to meet each other again at the Cup and save each other from a ginormous spider. So who should win? They decide to do it together.

A few questions to get you started:
1) Molly had just told off Amos for believe what Rita Skeeter writes, but Harry has to tell her Hermione's not his girlfriend. Why did Molly believe Witch Weekly?

2) What is the point of the enchantment that turns Harry upside-down? Is there any symbolism embedded in that? What about the way in which he escapes from it?

3)What did you think of Cedric’s struggle with whether to take the Cup himself?

December 08, 2014, 05:45:20 PM
Reply #1

roonwit

1) Molly had just told off Amos for believe what Rita Skeeter writes, but Harry has to tell her Hermione's not his girlfriend. Why did Molly believe Witch Weekly?
I think Molly, like everyone else, is interested in what Harry gets up to, and she hasn't yet realized that Rita is unreliable in reporting on Harry as well. She read and believed Rita's Prophet piece written after the weighing of wands ceremony as well.
2) What is the point of the enchantment that turns Harry upside-down? Is there any symbolism embedded in that? What about the way in which he escapes from it?
This seems to me a good challenge because it can't be defeated by magic, and it means the champion has to think about what to do or give up. Of course there is a limited choice as to what to do so I think most people would solve it quickly.
3)What did you think of Cedric’s struggle with whether to take the Cup himself?
I think this shows Cedric's character - he knows he can easily beat Harry to the cup, but Harry has rescued or warned him twice in the maze, so he feels that Harry deserves to win more.
December 23, 2014, 02:29:07 AM
Reply #2

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
This seems to me a good challenge because it can't be defeated by magic, and it means the champion has to think about what to do or give up. Of course there is a limited choice as to what to do so I think most people would solve it quickly.
I always go back to the Tarrot card "The Hangman" when I think of this challenge. The hangman signifies being suspended in time. It's about letting go of those things that are holding you down -  about getting yourself 'unstuck'. It challenges you to look at your situation from a different view. It also indicates that once you move from this suspended position, things will start happening in you life that will advance you forward. Many people get stuck in this position and waffle about trying to figure out what to do, so I don't think all people show the bravery that Harry does. That is what is so remarkable about Harry. He realizes that he has to have faith that he will be able to take that first step onto solid ground again. I think this challenge really shows an example of how brave Harry is.