December 13, 2017, 01:01:30 PM

Author Topic: Chapter Thirty-Four: Priori Incantatem  (Read 526 times)

December 20, 2014, 04:49:08 AM

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
All chapter summaries have been indexed by JaneMarple9

Chapter Thirty-Four: Priori Incantatem
(Chap Summary by twiddlethosedials )

Priori Incantatem by artdungeon

Harry stands up on his crumpled leg, wand in hand. The Dark Lord "challenges" him to a duel and hits Harry with a series of curses - Cruciatus, Imperius (which Harry resists) and a Cruciatus that Harry dodges. Harry decides he's not going to die like a coward. With a shout of "Expelliarmus!", his defensive spell meets Voldemort's "Avada Kedavra" in mid-air in a collision of golden light and phoenix song. Next is something neither expects - beads of light and a battle of wills that Harry wins, forcing shades of Voldemort's victims out of his wand. His parents give him the time he needs to get to Cedric's body, accio the Portkey, and escape.

A few questions to get you started:
1) Why do you think Harry heard phoenix song during the Priori Incantatem effect? Was it something that Harry brought with him through his bravery, or is it associated with the effect itself?

2) Moody/Crouch Jr. taught Harry had to throw off the Imperius Curse. Do you think he expected Harry to have the opportunity to use it?

3) Why didn't Voldemort just break the connection?

December 21, 2014, 03:25:57 PM
Reply #1

roonwit

1) Why do you think Harry heard phoenix song during the Priori Incantatem effect? Was it something that Harry brought with him through his bravery, or is it associated with the effect itself?
I think the phoenix song comes from this Priori Incantatem because the common cores  of the wands are from Fawkes. You may not get it or get some other effect with other shared wand cores.
2) Moody/Crouch Jr. taught Harry had to throw off the Imperius Curse. Do you think he expected Harry to have the opportunity to use it?
I don't know if Harry ever considered that, but if he had he would probably have realized that he was likely to get one or more unforgivables cast at him (in addition to the killing curse cast at him already) at some point from Voldemort, a death eater or someone else, because of who he was.
Harry saw Voldemort trying to break the connection once the golden cage was formed, but clearly he couldn't. Perhaps it can only be broken by the victor once the other wand has started producing shadows of the spells it cast, or perhaps only if both people want to break the connection.
December 26, 2014, 03:40:53 PM
Reply #2

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale

Fake Moody had been under the Imperius curse so I think he thought it important to teach his students how to break the curse. In his mind this was the worst curse of all, and he had learned to break it, so teaching this skill to the students was a triumph to him. To Fake Moody this curse was used by the 'other side', i.e., his father, to manipulate him. I don't think he realized he was teaching the students to overcome a curse that Voldemort's side used.

Apparently Voldemort was powerless to break the connection until the wand with the more powerful magic had conquered the other. Because as roonwit said, Voldy tried to break it but he wasn't having any more success than Harry. It appears to me the victor was dependent on which 'master' of the wand had greater magic and conviction as the wand core magic was equal.