December 13, 2017, 01:02:02 PM

Author Topic: Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Beginning  (Read 525 times)

December 26, 2014, 03:17:58 PM

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
All chapter summaries have been indexed by JaneMarple9

Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Beginning
(Chap Summary by twiddlethosedials )

Into a Beetle by Gerre

Even dreamless sleep must have its' end, and next morning, Harry meets with Cedric's parents and tries to give them his winnings. Later, Hagrid speaks some wisdom in the simplest words, and hints at a special mission with Olympe for Dumbledore. In honor of Cedric, the Leaving Feast is almost a memorial with the Great Hall draped in black. The ride home's eventful, but at the end, Harry knows what to do with his winnings - he gives them to Gred and Forge, rationalizing that if there's one thing that he's sure they'll need more of with Dark Times ahead, it's a good laugh.

A few questions to get you started:
1) Dumbledore talks a good talk about truth being preferable to lies, but he still isn't honest with Harry about what's in store for him later on (or why he can't go to the Burrow). Is it a double-standard? Did Dumbledore miss an opportunity to come clean?

2) What do you think of Hermione's decision to keep Rita locked up for a while, before negotiating with her and letting her go?

3) Could Harry have put his money to any better use?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 03:23:39 PM by HealerOne »

December 29, 2014, 01:25:25 PM
Reply #1

roonwit

1) Dumbledore talks a good talk about truth being preferable to lies, but he still isn't honest with Harry about what's in store for him later on (or why he can't go to the Burrow). Is it a double-standard? Did Dumbledore miss an opportunity to come clean?
I don't think there was a good opportunity here. In the last chapter Harry probably wasn't in a good state to reveal anything to and Sirius was present, and here Mrs. Weasley is relaying information so it would be difficult to say anything important. Thus the only thing Dumbledore could have got to Harry would be hints at the protection Harry has at Privet Drive. What he should have done was to ensure Harry had a bit more information at the start of the next book, in particular that Voldemort might use the scar link to trick him into going to the department of Mysteries.
2) What do you think of Hermione's decision to keep Rita locked up for a while, before negotiating with her and letting her go?
It doesn't feel like the right thing to do, but I am not sure there is anything else she could have done because things were revealed in that room that shouldn't be made public.
3) Could Harry have put his money to any better use?
I am not sure he could as it turned out, because as well as raising morale, Fred and George later branched out to protective items which may have saved lives, and some of their products such as extendable ears and decoy detonators proved useful on the horcrux search.
January 09, 2015, 07:15:21 PM
Reply #2

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale

Dumbledore is in a rather impossible situation, as is Harry. How can you possibly tell Harry - a 14 year old boy - that he is linked to this horrible monster Voldemort  by a piece of his soul - a Horcrux? I think Harry would have shriveled up! (Look what happens in OotP when he thinks Voldemort is possessing him! He goes a bit nuts!) Also at this time, DD isn't truly sure that Harry is a Horcrux, just that somehow Harry's scar carries a secret linking him to Voldemort. In some ways I think he could have told Harry more without dumping on Harry the whole sordid truth. I really do think that he could have warned Harry that Voldemort could try to manipulate him through their strange link.

2)
What do you think of Hermione's decision to keep Rita locked up for a while, before negotiating with her and letting her go?
That's what happens to someone who doesn't take Hermione seriously! Hermione surely had enough of people trying to diminish her. So she took revenge! I don't actually think this was her best decision, but in the end it worked out well for her - and Harry. Maybe not so good for Rita though!

3)
Could Harry have put his money to any better use?
It was a great way to use the money. Harry had to be quite grateful to the twins for the Marauder's Map. It was an enormous help to Harry since they had given it to him. In addition, I think Harry realized Molly was holding them back from something they were really talented at doing, so it was a way to give them the independence that they gave him with the MM.