April 25, 2018, 04:09:11 AM

Author Topic: A Spinning Question - HOW is this possible?  (Read 723 times)

January 17, 2015, 09:24:28 AM

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Today I made some quick research on the significance on the left-hand side versus right-hand side of our brains. And I came across an interesting page with a test for which part of the brain is the default one, which I found thoroughly bewildering and quite interesting.

The web page is image based, so just disregard the Swedish text. The main point is:

1) In what direction does the lady spin? Clockwise or anti-clockwise?

2) Can you see her spin in the opposite direction from what you first saw?

Hint:
Spoiler
Look at her feet for a few seconds or close one eye.
Did it help?

Here she is: http://www.superminne.se/brainhalf.html

If you (first) see her turn:
* clockwise, you use your right-hand side of the brain,
* anti-clockwise, you use your left-hand side of the brain.
It seems as if not everyone can see her turn both ways. Can you?

3. How on Earth is it possible to create a moving image that can be seen moving in either direction??? What kind of images does it consist of?   ??? :crabbegoyle:  :what:  :o

Any ideas?

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 09:27:17 AM by Evreka »

January 17, 2015, 03:13:43 PM
Reply #1

roonwit

3. How on Earth is it possible to create a moving image that can be seen moving in either direction??? What kind of images does it consist of?   ??? :crabbegoyle:  :what:  :o
I imagine they just ensure there are no clues the brain might pick up as to which way the lady is turning. For example the image is a solid black shadow, so you can't see whether the lady is facing towards or away from you or whether the arms and legs pass in front or behind the rest of the body, and there are no clues from the lighting of the image. I suspect they have also flattened the perspective so closer things aren't bigger and further things aren't smaller.
Thus the brain sees an image that is clearly a spinning lady from the shape and how it changes but doesn't have an indications as to which direction she is turning in, so has to pick one.
January 17, 2015, 11:10:36 PM
Reply #2

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Strange. I am right handed which should mean I use the left side of my brain more than my right because: the left side controls the right; and conversely the right side of the brain controls the left. That said, I only can see the girl spinning in a clockwise direction. I tried and tried and only saw her going that one direction. So those results would reflect that I should be left handed .... Hmmm have to think about that.
January 18, 2015, 09:20:47 PM
Reply #3

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I imagine they just ensure there are no clues the brain might pick up as to which way the lady is turning. For example the image is a solid black shadow, so you can't see whether the lady is facing towards or away from you or whether the arms and legs pass in front or behind the rest of the body, and there are no clues from the lighting of the image. I suspect they have also flattened the perspective so closer things aren't bigger and further things aren't smaller.
Thus the brain sees an image that is clearly a spinning lady from the shape and how it changes but doesn't have an indications as to which direction she is turning in, so has to pick one.
Oh! Now that makes sense.  :thumbup: Thanks a lot for comming up with a very likely reason! This was a complete mystery to me!  :flower:

Strange. ... That said, I only can see the girl spinning in a clockwise direction. I tried and tried and only saw her going that one direction. ...
When I come to that page,  every time, I think she goes clockwise. And no matter how much I try she stays clockwise, until... Until I read the text below (which I can understand). In doing so, because the sentences are longer than the image is wide, I reach a point where the lady is turning only in my indirect sight, because I am really focusing on text which is below and some to the right of the image (possibly it's just that it's below that triggers it, I'm not sure) - and suddenly I have this odd sensation of "Hey! What?!" Flicking my eyes back to the image she's off in the other direction. :o Then she stays going in that direction until I look away from the page entirely for awhile. Comming back to it, she's back to clockwise!

Can you make her turn around if you follow the lines of text with your eyes?  :crabbegoyle:

Strange. I am right handed which should mean I use the left side of my brain more than my right because: the left side controls the right; and conversely the right side of the brain controls the left. That said, I only can see the girl spinning in a clockwise direction. I tried and tried and only saw her going that one direction. So those results would reflect that I should be left handed .... Hmmm have to think about that.
:hmm: It can't be as easy as that, can it? The left-hand side of the brain is supposed to hold our understanding for math, analytics, logic and languages. Whereas the right-hand side hold our creativity, imagination and artistic. Surely these respective characteristics, do not correspond with the world's right-handed and left-handed people?  :crabbegoyle: There must be much more to it than that?

On the other hand I would sooner describe myself as analytical and logic rather than creative or artistic, yet she turns clockwise for me at first? On the other hand, I have heaps of imagination which is both blessing and bane...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 09:22:42 PM by Evreka »
January 19, 2015, 06:46:39 PM
Reply #4

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Very odd! I did what you said about looking at the text and following it with my eyes ... and  ... out of the corner of my eyes she begins to turn counterclockwise. However every time I tried to then look back at the figure she would reverse back to the clockwise direction! I just don't seem to be very good at maintaining the different perspective!  :lol: I wonder what that means?  :what:
January 19, 2015, 07:08:20 PM
Reply #5

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Very odd! I did what you said about looking at the text and following it with my eyes ... and  ... out of the corner of my eyes she begins to turn counterclockwise. However every time I tried to then look back at the figure she would reverse back to the clockwise direction! I just don't seem to be very good at maintaining the different perspective!  :lol: I wonder what that means?  :what:
Well.. I assume the image has been used in some American test at some point, because the text below the image claims that only 15% of all Americans can see her turn both ways. (And whether that would differ for some other nationality is anyone's guess.)