April 26, 2018, 08:02:14 PM

Author Topic: Harper Lee's New Book!  (Read 623 times)

February 04, 2015, 06:47:15 PM

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
:stars: Wow the literary world has been set on fire with the news that Harper Lee who wrote To Kill a Mockingbird is going to be publishing a second novel which is a sequel to Mockingbird. She actually wrote Go Set A Watchman before she wrote Mockingbird and was talked into publishing that one first. What a treasure this is!It has been 55 years since she wrote that one novel that won her a Pulitzer Prize. Watchman will be published on July 17th. Goodness, I am totally excited to read this new book! How about you?

Read more:
  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/03/harper-lee-novel_n_6603994.html
and: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghx3VDoNoTM&list=PLivYonEKHnxx4bhOTBFExCLuDFvBBlkKl
and from the publisher: http://corporate.harpercollins.com/us/press-releases/425/RECENTLY%20DISCOVERED%20NOVEL%20FROM%20HARPER%20LEE,%20AUTHOR%20OF%20TO%20KILL%20A%20MOCKINGBIRD

February 05, 2015, 04:22:27 AM
Reply #1

Laura W

Me too!!  I thought To Kill a Mockingbird was a masterpiece (as was the movie interpretation of it - for a change).  I have always wished Lee wrote more stuff.  There are, apparently, many theories as to why she only published the one novel, one story being that she "knew" nothing else she wrote would be as good as Mockingbird.  I don't know if that's true, of course; there may be any number of other reasons. 
February 06, 2015, 10:10:23 PM
Reply #2

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
Wow, this is exciting news even for someone like me who hasn't read the first book.  Maybe now would be a good time for me to give it a try.  I did watch the movie many years ago though.  Not sure if that might spoil the reading experience if I've seen the movie adaptation first and remember at least part of the story.

Anyway, I find it very interesting how the manuscript for the "new" book disappeared and then resurfaced after so many decades!  And the fact that it wasn't written as a sequel to Mockingbird but was actually written first and submitted to the editor/publisher before they suggested that the author rewrite the story from Scout's point of view as a child instead.

:reading:
February 07, 2015, 09:01:17 PM
Reply #3

Laura W

Well, I saw the movie before I read the book too.  I saw the movie as a very young person a thousand years ago (ha, ha).  I was mesmerized by it.  I was too young to read and appreciate and understand the book at that time.  But several years later I did read it.  It is, as I recall, a VERY long book; with MUCH more detail than the movie could provide.  Not a children's book at all. It definitely did not spoil the book for me to have seen the movie first.  For me, the movie was/is like an abridged version of the novel but stayed true to the storyline and the characters (unlike what happens often when books are made into films (frown)).

Laura
February 08, 2015, 12:50:58 AM
Reply #4

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
That's odd, Laura W, I didn't remember Mockingbird as being a long book, but I looked it up and it is over 325 pages, so, fairly long.  :nod:

I'm pretty excited about this new book as well, although Mockingbird hasn't been a lifelong favorite; in fact, I just read it for the first time last year.  The strange thing about the new book is that although it is not newly written, it is new to us readers, and as a sequel to a well-loved classic it is almost an instant classic itself!

I agree with HealerOne and Laura W that the movie version of Mockingbird is very good, and I think it your memory of it will more likely enhance your reading experience than detract from it, ss19:)

I have heard a bit of controversy that perhaps Ms. Lee was being manipulated into releasing this book, and that perhaps she was vulnerable due to her advanced age and ill health.  I surely hope this is not true.

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
February 10, 2015, 08:15:04 PM
Reply #5

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
Thank you, Laura W and paint it Black. :) I bought the Kindle version of the book and will report back after I've had a chance to read it.

I have heard a bit of controversy that perhaps Ms. Lee was being manipulated into releasing this book, and that perhaps she was vulnerable due to her advanced age and ill health.  I surely hope this is not true.

I, too, hope those rumors aren't true.  Either way, if the "new" book is well received, she should be happy she agreed to get it published, I hope, even if she was reluctant initially.