October 18, 2018, 10:00:08 PM

Author Topic: Happy Earth Day!  (Read 618 times)

April 22, 2015, 09:52:02 PM

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
Happy Earth Day, everyone! :yay: I don't know about you, but Earth is my favorite planet.  :flower:  Does this day make you think about just how much care you give to our home planet?

Have you started any new earth-friendly habits in the past year that you are proud of?  :angel:

Do you have any not-so-earth-friendly habits that you just cannot seem to shake?  :ashamed:

Do you have any guilty pleasures that you'll just have to offset by other means because you're just not going to give them up?  :devil:

As for me, for that last one ... I am guilty of taking long showers.  (Really, who would want to shorten an experience like that? 8))  I tell myself it is because it takes longer to shampoo long hair, but really, I could probably hurry it up a bit if I really tried.  I make an attempt to offset this by being more conscious of my water use at the sink, by not letting it run when I am washing but just when I am rinsing.

Another thing that I don't do so well with is that my ten year-old car gets pretty bad mileage.  :( I don't see myself getting a new car soon, however, so I'll just have to keep trying to combine errands and make fewer trips.

One earth-friendly thing I've done well this year is to start squeezing as much garbage as possible into my plastic trash bags/bin bags before they go to the curb.  I estimate that I'm using one-quarter of the bags that we were using a few years ago.  This not only saves me money from buying fewer bags but it also takes up less room in the landfill, plus it reduces the energy and the petroleum used to make the plastic garbage bags.

I'm also glad that I live in a community where a multitude of materials can be recycled and picked up from my curb.  :clap: They've even started a program to pick up compost, providing a separate bin and biodegradable liners for this purpose.  I already put my food scraps in my neighbor's bin, but this program allows me to put out used napkins and paper towels to be picked up for compost, which has reduced the amount of trash I put at the curb by quite a bit.

I've also been using reusable water bottles and shopping bags instead of the recyclable kind.  Recycling is awesome, but it does take resources and energy, so reusing is the way to go when you can.  :thumbup:

Ok, what earth-saving things do you feel proud of today?  :flower:

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
April 30, 2015, 10:37:10 PM
Reply #1

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
Have you started any new earth-friendly habits in the past year that you are proud of?  :angel:
Well, I recently made a failed attempt at indoor worm composting.  It went well for the first couple of weeks, then something went wrong and I tried to fix the problem but one thing led to another and all the worms died.  :( It also took a lot more time than I thought it would, so I might try again in the future but not until I have more time on my hands.  For now I'm back to throwing out my kitchen scraps. :(

I'm also glad that I live in a community where a multitude of materials can be recycled and picked up from my curb.  :clap: They've even started a program to pick up compost, providing a separate bin and biodegradable liners for this purpose.  I already put my food scraps in my neighbor's bin, but this program allows me to put out used napkins and paper towels to be picked up for compost, which has reduced the amount of trash I put at the curb by quite a bit.
That's great your community does that!  I wish mine did, then I wouldn't have had to try making my own compost...  I'm happy that my community takes a lot of recyclables that I know a lot of others don't though, such as aluminum foil, plastic bags, milk/juice cartons, and yard waste (leaves, grass clippings, etc).

Do you have any guilty pleasures that you'll just have to offset by other means because you're just not going to give them up?  :devil:
When I used to live in Massachusetts where it snowed a lot, I bought an all-wheel-drive wagon that's great in the snow.  It takes almost twice the amount of gasoline my husband's small Toyota takes, but I felt it was justified because of how much safer it was in bad weather.

Now that I've moved to a much-warmer area that doesn't get much snow, I probably should have replaced my car but haven't.  I've gotten very attached to the car and love how much cargo space I have when I need it, and it's also a lot easier to take my 75-lb (34-kg) dog places when he can ride in the back.  But most of the time I don't really need the bigger car so I feel guilty driving it.  I do always try to combine errands and will take my husband's car instead whenever he's not using it though.

I've also been using reusable water bottles and shopping bags instead of the recyclable kind.  Recycling is awesome, but it does take resources and energy, so reusing is the way to go when you can.  :thumbup:

Ok, what earth-saving things do you feel proud of today?  :flower:
I do the same with reusable water bottles and shopping bags.  I also bring my own coffee mug to church so I don't have to use the disposable foam cups there for coffee. :thumbup:
May 02, 2015, 04:42:54 PM
Reply #2

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
My community does a unique thing with plastic bags. I have to take them to a special center where they are distributed to a local migrant and homeless shelter. There the clients cut the tops off the bags and then cut the rest of the bags into strips. Volunteers then Crochet these strips in to water resistant mats that are used either for knee pads as the clients work on the garden at the center, or as mats they can use to sleep on in the outdoors. The clients have to earn the right to 'purchase' the mats by doing volunteer work at the center. It's amazing how this really helps these people and it helps the environment at the same time.

As for me, for that last one ... I am guilty of taking long showers.  (Really, who would want to shorten an experience like that? 8))  I tell myself it is because it takes longer to shampoo long hair, but really, I could probably hurry it up a bit if I really tried.  I make an attempt to offset this by being more conscious of my water use at the sink, by not letting it run when I am washing but just when I am rinsing.

Oh dear that is me too! I love a nice long hot shower. I also try to make sure that I have full loads when I do laundry and when I run the dishwasher.

I am very conscious about how the items I buy at the grocery store are packaged, and try to get things that have less packaging around them, so as not to have excessive trash. I try very hard to take in my own bags to keep down on the plastic bags I bring home.  I also make sure to give my outdated clothes, furniture and other reusable objects to the local Goodwill or Salvation Army. I think it is a shame when I see items like that sitting out to be taken by the trash people when they can be reused by others.

I too love this planet - it's the only one we have right now, so we best take care of it!  :flower: