October 16, 2018, 09:38:54 AM

Author Topic: The Dursleys and Harry as a Horcrux  (Read 562 times)

April 24, 2015, 04:10:42 AM

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
I was trolling the web today and came upon this discussion about the Dursleys.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/23/crazy-harry-potter-theory_n_7117138.html

The theory is that the Dursleys were horrible to Harry because Harry was a Horcrux and that influenced how horribly they treated him. I certainly see the possibilities of this theory, but I feel there are some holes there. What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

April 27, 2015, 10:41:05 PM
Reply #1

roonwit

I was trolling the web today and came upon this discussion about the Dursleys.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/23/crazy-harry-potter-theory_n_7117138.html

The theory is that the Dursleys were horrible to Harry because Harry was a Horcrux and that influenced how horribly they treated him. I certainly see the possibilities of this theory, but I feel there are some holes there. What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

I think the main hole in this is that if the soul piece inside Harry was able to influence those around him, then surely it would have affected others, particularly Ron and Hermione who spend almost every waking hour with him, but it doesn't affect them and has very little influence on Harry himself for most of the time, particularly when Voldemort is a long way away, such as when he is in Albania in books 2 and 3 so it seems unlikely it would do so in Harry's pre-Hogwarts days. I also disagree that Petunia taking in Harry was an act of huge kindness. Dumbledore set things up so that it would be hard for Petunia to reject Harry for example by leaving him on the doorstep rather than handing him over directly, which also meant that the neighbours might have seen or heard him there. I agree with Dumbledore's assessment that Petunia would have preferred not to have taken Harry in, and I think it would have been a mixture of reasons, both positive and negative, that lead Petunia to accept Harry.
April 30, 2015, 10:55:04 PM
Reply #2

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
I thought the same thing roonwit said before seeing his post, that the Harry horcrux should make everyone else mean to Harry, not just the Dursleys, and that it should affect Harry most of all and make him mean to everyone else in return, if the theory had been true.

The Horcruxes that Voldemort made specifically had dark magic performed on them.  Baby Harry didn't have that done to him.  Voldemort's soul was simply too fragile at that point, having been split too many times, so a piece split off on its own and latched onto Harry, that's all.  So I would imagine that Harry wouldn't have the same dark magic attached to him that all the other Horcruxes had.  In addition to the dark magic performed to create those other Horcruxes, didn't Voldemort add even more dark magic as a defensive mechanism?  When Dumbledore destroyed the ring the ring fought back and put that fatal curse on Dumbledore.  I think that's part of the reason the locket Horcrux had a negative affect on the Trio when they took turns wearing it.  But this wouldn't apply to the piece of soul inside Harry, I don't think.

Interesting theory though!