October 16, 2018, 09:40:59 AM

Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child  (Read 3217 times)

June 29, 2015, 08:59:31 PM

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
On June 26, Jo Rowling announced a new play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child that will be shown in Londons West End during summer and autumn 2016 (next year)!

The announcement went out through Twitter, Facebook and other media, and is reported to:

Not be a prequel, but "a real treat for fans" being a new story that has been made exclusively for the stage. The Mail Online presents the new play thus (excerpt only):
The story was hammered out by Harry Potter creator J.K. Rowling in collaboration with John Tiffany — who will direct the production — and Jack Thorne, who has written the resulting play that this column first told you about more than a year ago.

The Cursed Child delves into what happened to Harry’s parents — Lily Evans Potter and James Potter — before they were killed by Lord Voldemort, forcing an infant Harry to be raised in miserable circumstances by his mother’s sister, Petunia, her horrid husband Vernon and their spoiled son Dudley. ...

Other sources:
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Official Website - here you can also sign up for information on when tickets become available, should you want to.
The News announcement from J K Rowling's site
The Leaky Cauldron about this play

What are your reactions to this play? Are you excited? Would you want to see it? Or do you feel let down that it is not a book... ?  :hermioneread: Let's hear your opinions!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:04:42 PM by Evreka »

June 29, 2015, 11:32:40 PM
Reply #1

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
I'm certainly intrigued to know that the story will include details about James and Lily before their deaths at the hand of Voldemort -- does this mean that they will include some Marauders as characters in this play (please o please)?  :marauders2:   Basically, anything that adds new canon is exciting to me.  :thumbup:  I am eager to see the Newt Scamander films, but this play will be better in a way as it will be telling the story of characters that we already know and love.

There is a bit of a letdown in knowing that it is a play.  Once the majority of those interested in HP have seen it, it will close, and then we will no longer have access to it.  The books are in print, and the films are available on dvd.  Once the play closes, only the script will (presumably) be available.  On the upside (for me, anyway), many successful West End shows come to NYC eventually, and although it's very uncommon for me to go there to see a play, at least there would be a chance that I could see it.

Of course, they could always choose to film it before it closes and sell it on dvd.  Or show it in cinemas as part of the National Theatre Live program.

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
June 30, 2015, 09:19:35 PM
Reply #2

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
I'm in a similar position.  I'd love to see the play, and if it ever goes to New York City, there's a chance I can go see it (though it won't be easy).

With the Harry Potter fandom being so global, I really hope they will consider putting this on a DVD eventually so that it's accessible to all the fans around the world.  If that happens, I'd definitely want to buy the DVD.

I wish it was a new book coming out.  Jo says this particular story will only work as a play, and I will take her word for it.  But either way, this gives me hope that she might write another story in the future that works as a book.  :reading:
July 01, 2015, 04:58:38 AM
Reply #3

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
I'm with you all. I do wish it were a book. I love knowing all the background to Harry's family. There is hope that the play will go on the road and then it will be able to be seen across a much wider area than just London and NYC. Of course that may take a few years to get to that point! Fingers crossed!

Thanks Evkera for bring that to our attention and for the links.
:)
July 01, 2015, 05:44:09 PM
Reply #4

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I would really want to go and see that play! And in so far of it being genuinely new content about this intriguing period in the Wizarding world, I am excited about it... And yet, at the same time, I do feel a bit let down that it is not a book...

Partly because I miss her writing about this world, but also and far mor important, because a play really limits the access to just a few people (compared to the billions of world-wide fans). We were used to get the latter books simultaneously world wide - any fans who chose to pre-order their books. But after DH, any new info is comming out in so weird places it is next to impossible to get hold of it all.  :( Granted, I assume that Pottermore nowadays don't have a delay on approving new accounts, but then there have been games and similar things with new content (although supposedly not too much) such as The Book of Spells (if I remember correctly).

Newt Scamander will be films, which at least are far easier to access world wide, but it's still not a written story that can be read, re-read and discussed as easily (assuming it's good  :P ) a play is even less inclusive for fans.

I wonder... I guess I can understand why Jo would not want to put herself in the position she was in writing HP, with the whole world eagerly awaiting her next story. And as such, I guess the likelihood for prequels, sequels or otherwise related books are very small... but I can still dream, right...  :love:
July 13, 2015, 08:44:51 PM
Reply #5

roonwit

Newt Scamander will be films, which at least are far easier to access world wide, but it's still not a written story that can be read, re-read and discussed as easily (assuming it's good  :P ) a play is even less inclusive for fans.
We might get a book of the film(s). I imagine the screenplay could be turned into a book or at least a short story and Jo could add the bits that didn't fit into the film (I imagine she will have more plot lines than are actually used), though if we do get something like this I expect it would come out after the film.
I wonder... I guess I can understand why Jo would not want to put herself in the position she was in writing HP, with the whole world eagerly awaiting her next story. And as such, I guess the likelihood for prequels, sequels or otherwise related books are very small... but I can still dream, right...  :love:
I can see why a play might not make a good book, as it will mostly be real-time action, and that might not amount to much on the page, particularly if you limit it to the bits Jo wrote.
July 13, 2015, 10:01:39 PM
Reply #6

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I can see why a play might not make a good book, as it will mostly be real-time action, and that might not amount to much on the page, particularly if you limit it to the bits Jo wrote.
This particular part of my post was dreaming further away than "just" this play. I totally would love a proper prequel, sequel or otherwise related book or book series... that would be written originally as a book.

How do you feel about the play, roonwit? Would you like to go and see it?
September 25, 2015, 07:43:19 AM
Reply #7

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Today we can learn from New Pottermore that this play will be in two parts. Anyone have any ideas on what that means in practise?  :crabbegoyle:
September 26, 2015, 04:48:38 PM
Reply #8

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
:what: That is a stumper. Perhaps they mean a play with a long intermission or a play presented on two consecutive nights? Or an afternoon/evening performance? I can't imagine that they would have one play presented at one point in time and then months afterwards a second part? That seems quite awkward. I have known special plays that have done the  two or three nights in a row deal. (It completely escapes my memory the name of the play, but it was performed on consecutive nights the same play but from different characters points of view ...). I would assume you either got a combined ticket to both events or you had to pay separately for each performance.

Ah ha! Google reigns! It is to be performed on two nights in the same week or on the weekends in one day. here's the link,
http://www.younghollywood.com/news/harry-potter-play-to-be-performed-in-two-parts.html
September 28, 2015, 04:52:06 AM
Reply #9

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Ah ha! Google reigns! It is to be performed on two nights in the same week or on the weekends in one day. here's the link, http://www.younghollywood.com/news/harry-potter-play-to-be-performed-in-two-parts.html
Thank you!  :hug: :flower:

Oh my.... I've never heard of such a thing!  :surprised: How extra-ordinary! I hope the tickets are combined then... If you have to travel to London, it would be pretty awful to just get tickets to half of it!  :o I do wonder what those tickets will cost though...?
October 23, 2015, 10:16:37 AM
Reply #10

roonwit

There is more information on the the Cursed Child on Pottermore - Jo really meant it when she said it wasn't a prequel.
October 23, 2015, 05:08:40 PM
Reply #11

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Thanks for spreading the info, roonwit:harry:

I wonder why she has decided to make this a play? I know she resented that some people checked the last few pages of DH before reading it through, desperate to know whether Harry survived or not. Is this a way to make sure no one would skip to the last page? Although the grim reality of this being a play means there will be no way to hide from spoilers this time, even if you do get tickets (save the tickets on the premier, possibly). So next to no one will see it without knowledge of how the story unfolds.  :shake: And, on top of that, no matter how many nights they play, only a fraction of the HP fans will even get tickets... If we compare this to books that spread literally worldwide and sold faster than ever before all over the world, a play seem such a minimalistic way to go about it...  :shake:

Would we have had an eighth book instead if the press had left her more to herself while writing the HP saga in the first place??  :(

Ah, yes, nearly forgot: The official artwork for the play is also at Pottermore.
October 24, 2015, 05:54:51 PM
Reply #12

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Thank you roonwit and Evreka for the links to the information on The Cursed Child. I am impressed with the art work - Albus Severus in a nest that looks like it has Quidditch wings on it? Maybe indicating he is leaving the nest through Quidditch?  The likelihood of me being able to see the play on stage in London is minimal, however I would assume with its success in London it will come to at least NYC. Other ways it maybe viewed is by DVD of the play or a BBC adaptation of it. There is always the manuscript that maybe printed also. I too wish it would have been a book, but for some reason they might have wanted it to be presented in a more personal or visual way than a book or movie. I know eventually all the Potterholics of the world will get to view it in some manner.

There is another possibility  :what: and that is JKR wanted Daniel Radcliffe to continue in the role as Harry?  :o He might have balked at the idea of a movie but agreed to a play - just putting that out there! Purely conjecture on my part.   ;) I am positive he will be asked in the near future by all the media and will deny it!  :lol:
October 24, 2015, 08:01:45 PM
Reply #13

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I am impressed with the art work - Albus Severus in a nest that looks like it has Quidditch wings on it? Maybe indicating he is leaving the nest through Quidditch?  ...
I think it looks mostly as if he is stuck inside a snitch - although not a metal one, but one made of twigs... Whatever that would suggest?

... There is another possibility  :what: and that is JKR wanted Daniel Radcliffe to continue in the role as Harry?  :o He might have balked at the idea of a movie but agreed to a play - just putting that out there! Purely conjecture on my part.   ;) I am positive he will be asked in the near future by all the media and will deny it!  :lol:
According to the synopsis for the play, it will feature events "19 years later", a time at which Harry and his former class mates are 39 years old. Dan Radcliffe has just turned 26.  It's one thing to have your features digitally changed for an Epilogue and quite another to appear 13 years older than you are, night after night in a theatre. As much as I'd love to see familiar faces on the casting list - I can't help but finding that quite unlikely.

And then, adding to that is all the thing's Dan said in the past of not being very inclined at reprising that particular role. So, no, I don't think we'll see him... Given the age dilemma, I guess only ghosts would be likely to re-appear (although I am far from convinced they will). But it would be interesting to know the cast none-the-less.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 08:03:35 PM by Evreka »
October 26, 2015, 12:32:16 PM
Reply #14

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
We now have a list of more creative persons involved in the play's crew (among other things), but that's essentially what's new in it: https://www.pottermore.com/news/everything-we-know-about-cursed-child-so-far
October 28, 2015, 05:43:17 PM
Reply #15

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Quote from the dedication in DH:
The dedication of this book is split seven ways: ... and to you, if you have stuck with Harry until the very end.

Seeing as that particular part of the dedication speaks to me (and millions of other fans), I am really, really, really interested in this play. So... I made sure to get tickets today when the priority booking began!  :yay: :stars:

Anyone else who have procured tickets or are considering doing so?
October 29, 2015, 02:20:19 AM
Reply #16

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
 :stars: Congratulations! I am jealous. Of course I have thought about going, but it just doesn't seem to be in the stars. I do hope you will report on the play and tell us all the good parts!

Just curious - did you get tickets for the opening days? Two day tickets? Or a matinee and evening performance?

October 29, 2015, 08:00:01 PM
Reply #17

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
:stars: Congratulations! I am jealous. Of course I have thought about going, but it just doesn't seem to be in the stars. I do hope you will report on the play and tell us all the good parts!

Just curious - did you get tickets for the opening days? Two day tickets? Or a matinee and evening performance?

After much debate with myself I realised I was far more interested in seeing the finalised show than a preview. (If I've lived in London - or anywhere near in UK - I might have gone for one of each, but that's definitely over my limit as it is.) I also wasn't going for the opening night, so I've got tickets for August.

I went for a matinee + evening show.  If I'd gone for the consecutive nights, and the play turns out to be great, I can imagine that most of day 2 would be spent wondering how it would continue, and that would mean a tourist day veiled in HP thought. If I'd gone with another avid HP fan that might have been great. And even possibly, given place for lots of discussions, if we were lucky.  As it is, I am going with a friend, but she never reached my level of fandom, and I don't think it would be fair to her that I spent an entire day thinking of the play's continuation. :)

Further, we were both leaning towards shows on the same day, so it seemed like the best choice.

Sure, if you want to know something of the plot, I'll let you know (under heavy spoiler warnings) - unless it ends similar to The Mousetrap...  :fredgeorge: (In which you are threatened to your life if you tell....) Here they might put a Silencio on us.... , I guess.... :-X  :mcgonagall2:

Funny thing is... I was online and in what was about to become the queue for tickets minutes after the instruction letter arrived. Everyone who was in priority booking and in that particular place when the queue opened, had the same chance of getting a low queue number. I initially got place ~4500 (I think)  :o which took about 50 minutes to get to the head of! I don't think any performances (in August at least) were sold out at that time, but I very much doubt I was last in line, so I'm curious on how many tickets were sold before everyone in the initial line-up was through...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 08:53:53 PM by Evreka »
November 04, 2015, 06:48:30 PM
Reply #18

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
:o  Wowser! I am so excited that you have gotten tickets. I think I would have opted for the same day seeing both shows too. I am sure I would be so excited that I couldn't think straight until I saw the whole performance.  :stars: Congrats and I sure hope you give us some spoilers too!  ;)
December 21, 2015, 10:22:51 PM
Reply #19

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
They've now cast Harry, Hermione and Ron: Trio Cast (Pottermore). I'm a bit stunned. What's your reactions?