June 19, 2018, 11:07:18 PM

Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child  (Read 2897 times)

December 23, 2015, 03:03:00 PM
Reply #20

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Stunning indeed. I think it is brilliant! One thing that left me wondering was that there was no mention of casting for Ginny. There is a little note saying that further casting will be announced later, but I wonder?  What do you suppose that means? Surely Ginny will be a significant part and if not, why not? :hmm:
January 10, 2016, 09:07:42 PM
Reply #21

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Stunning indeed. I think it is brilliant! One thing that left me wondering was that there was no mention of casting for Ginny. There is a little note saying that further casting will be announced later, but I wonder?  What do you suppose that means? Surely Ginny will be a significant part and if not, why not? :hmm:
I assume they've casted - and gone public with - the trio first because they are the most well known - and indeed loved - characters. Given that Albus Severus is supposedly a main character in the play, his casting is as much of a mystery as Ginny's, as well as several others, indeed. I wonder, though, if others are also casted, just not known yet? Surely they'll need a few months worth of rehearsals, don't you think?

I don't know how it works in the UK, but in my country any kids roles would need several kids casted, so they could alternate in the role. Otherwise the kids would have to play almost daily, and sometimes the whole day, too! So maybe they need a lot of kids per role in this play?
January 12, 2016, 04:39:42 PM
Reply #22

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
I don't know how it works in the UK, but in my country any kids roles would need several kids casted, so they could alternate in the role. Otherwise the kids would have to play almost daily, and sometimes the whole day, too! So maybe they need a lot of kids per role in this play?

Ooh good point about child actors. I would think that a 12-year-old casted might be different vs a 16-year-old? So I think we are going to have to wait and see on that. It may be that for the first part one Albus will be casted and in the second part another actor will portray that part.
January 13, 2016, 01:57:36 AM
Reply #23

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
They've now cast Harry, Hermione and Ron: Trio Cast (Pottermore). I'm a bit stunned. What's your reactions?

Just a guess, but I'm thinking by your comment that you were initially surprised by the non-traditional casting of Hermione.  :hermioneread: Since JKR confirmed on Twitter that she is happy with the choice, I think it's kind of cool!  :thumbup: The Hermione actress even has a bit of the canon Hermione buck teeth that lovely Emma Watson noticeably lacks.  I can also see this actress and the Ron actor as a couple.  He looks suitably Ron-like to me.  :ron: The one that really gets me is the man they cast as Harry.  I think perhaps it's just weird for me to look at a middle-aged man and think, That's Harry Potter.  That's The Boy Who Lived.  I don't yet see this man as the person who endured all of the things that Harry did in his young life.  But I imagine when the play is produced he'll end up winning me over.  That is, if I ever get to see it!  I'm quite envious of you, Evreka!  I'm counting on the play making it onto video one day, or perhaps being produced in NYC where there could be a remote chance that I would see it.

The bios provided for these three actors show that they all have extensive experience in theatre, which can only be good.  :)

I think you are right about multiple actors being cast for the child roles.  If London theatre is like NYC, they will probably be performing 8 shows a week, 6 days per week.  That's a bit much for one kid, especially if he's the central character.  It sounds a bit grueling even for an adult performer!

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
January 13, 2016, 08:14:56 PM
Reply #24

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
They've now cast Harry, Hermione and Ron: Trio Cast (Pottermore). I'm a bit stunned. What's your reactions?
Just a guess, but I'm thinking by your comment that you were initially surprised by the non-traditional casting of Hermione.  :hermioneread:
You're quite right on that, particularly as the HP films were so unusually good at casting people as they are described in the books, particularly ethnic wise. Therefore, at first sight, I was very surprised.

Since JKR confirmed on Twitter that she is happy with the choice, I think it's kind of cool!  :thumbup: The Hermione actress even has a bit of the canon Hermione buck teeth that lovely Emma Watson noticeably lacks.   
Yeah, I agree about this and of course what matters is if they can convince us in their roles, more than anything else.  :disapparate:

I can also see this actress and the Ron actor as a couple.  He looks suitably Ron-like to me.  :ron: The one that really gets me is the man they cast as Harry.  I think perhaps it's just weird for me to look at a middle-aged man and think, That's Harry Potter.  That's The Boy Who Lived.  I don't yet see this man as the person who endured all of the things that Harry did in his young life.  But I imagine when the play is produced he'll end up winning me over.
Actually, I can easier see them as a group of three than as a couple with their friend, if that makes sense. But, I too think they'll grow into their roles and make a good job in them.

I remember when the Marauder actors where first announced some 10+ years ago. I couldn't imagine either David Thewlis or Gary Oldman as Remus and Sirius respectively, and after seeing POA once, they won me over completely!  :love: And I had the same initial feeling after seeing early stills over Fawkes prior to COS coming out as film, thinking he looked very cross and lethal, and that I'd never want to let him near enough so he could heal me...  ;) And then, in the films - as well as the animatronic at Leavesden - he's just the most amazing bird ever!  :hug: :love:

So, this first photo doesn't say so very much on how they'll come across, I guess.

I watched a fairly recent interview with Dan Radcliffe on Youtube some weeks ago (I think I linked to it under News somewhere, though not entirely sure). In it he talked briefly about his reaction to this play and its casting. One of his comments was something on the lines of wishing he could go and see it, but feeling that it might not be the best place for him to be at.... (surrounded by excited HP fans).  :7potters:

That is, if I ever get to see it!  I'm quite envious of you, Evreka!  I'm counting on the play making it onto video one day, or perhaps being produced in NYC where there could be a remote chance that I would see it.
Aww,  :console: I'd loved to see it with you - all of you! A gang of long time HP fans, that would have been even better!

I think you are right about multiple actors being cast for the child roles.  If London theatre is like NYC, they will probably be performing 8 shows a week, 6 days per week.  That's a bit much for one kid, especially if he's the central character.  It sounds a bit grueling even for an adult performer!
Due to it being in two parts the performance schedule looks like:
Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday: Part 1 + Part 2 (afternoon + evening)
Thursday: Part 1 (Evening) + Friday Part 2 (evening)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:17:46 PM by Evreka »
January 31, 2016, 10:44:16 AM
Reply #25

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Pottermore released a LOT of new information in the past few days, whereof one News event centred around this play:

It's Harry Potter: anything is possible quote from Cursed Child producers. In the latter a behind the scenes video is linked.
February 10, 2016, 08:52:29 PM
Reply #26

roonwit

Pottermore has an announcement that Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is being published as a Special Rehearsal Edition of the script book on 31st July, and later replaced by a Definitive Collector’s Edition.
There is also a blog post on the Blair Partnership website about other  publications coming in few years.
February 10, 2016, 09:23:13 PM
Reply #27

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Pottermore has an announcement that Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is being published as a Special Rehearsal Edition of the script book on 31st July, and later replaced by a Definitive Collector’s Edition....
This information is spreading like wildfire across the Internet.  :stars: :yay: I posted a few other links about it in this News post .

The book is coming both as hardcover from Scholastics and as ebooks from Pottermore. Does anyone know if the hardcover will be available in Europe?

And although both parts of the play will be published on 31 July, the  Definitive Collector’s Edition has no known publication day yet, have it?  :crabbegoyle:

Are you excited? Are you going to want the early edition or the definite one? Or both?

Some other things I wonder over is why this came first as a play,  if the screenplay's script is now being released as a book almost simultaneously as the play's premier? Particularly as Jo said in 2015(?) or earlier that:
"To answer one inevitable (and reasonable!) question - why isn't Cursed Child a new novel? I am confident that when audiences see the play they will agree that it was the only proper medium for the story."
:crabbegoyle: Eh? :crabbegoyle:

What do you think and how do you feel over this?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:34:53 PM by Evreka »
February 10, 2016, 10:13:21 PM
Reply #28

roonwit

Pottermore has an announcement that Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is being published as a Special Rehearsal Edition of the script book on 31st July, and later replaced by a Definitive Collector’s Edition....
This information is spreading like wildfire across the Internet.  :stars: :yay: I posted a few other links about it in this News post .

The book is coming both as hardcover from Scholastics and as ebooks from Pottermore. Does anyone know if the hardcover will be available in Europe?
It will be in the UK (Amazon and Waterstones both have it for £10).

Are you excited? Are you going to want the early edition or the definite one? Or both?
I have ordered the Special Rehearsal Edition (e-book). I may decide to get the final edition as well.

Some other things I wonder over is why this came first as a play,  if the screenplay's script is now being released as a book almost simultaneously as the play's premier? Particularly as Jo said in 2015(?) or earlier that:
"To answer one inevitable (and reasonable!) question - why isn't Cursed Child a new novel? I am confident that when audiences see the play they will agree that it was the only proper medium for the story."
What do you think and how do you feel over this?
Well it isn't exactly a novel. I am pleased it will be out in written form as I don't think I would have gone to see the play, and it allows a lot more people to find out what happens. This might also have been a practical move as the script would be likely to make it to the internet in some form or another anyway at some point.
February 11, 2016, 07:43:52 AM
Reply #29

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
:) I am quite happy they decided to publish the play's script. Most plays do publish the script at some point. It certainly does give access to the contents to a whole lot more people than just those able to score tickets to the play.  This is great news! I already have put the book on my Wish List!
February 28, 2016, 08:36:46 PM
Reply #30

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
The full cast was presented this Friday.

At Pottermore
Cursed Child Website
March 01, 2016, 07:47:35 AM
Reply #31

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale

At Pottermore
Cursed Child Website

The question I have is  - who is portraying who? I tried to guess but was stymied. I hope they fill us in soon.
March 01, 2016, 07:45:42 PM
Reply #32

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix

At Pottermore
Cursed Child Website

The question I have is  - who is portraying who? I tried to guess but was stymied. I hope they fill us in soon.
Yeah, me too! The kids would be alternating in roles if I understood Pottermore correctly, but the rest of the cast have set roles I assume... 
April 22, 2016, 09:47:32 PM
Reply #33

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
New information on the play on Pottermore, including an almost 2 min long video with J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne discussing rehearsals and their thoughts on the previews. A rehearsal is going on in the background , with a few glimpses possible.

Rehearsals of the Cursed Child
June 03, 2016, 03:14:15 AM
Reply #34

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Came across this interesting article and photos from MTV News about Draco and son, Scorpius, in The Cursed Child.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2887845/draco-malfoy-harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-photos/

If you scroll to the bottom of the article you will find some further links to other articles about the cast playing our favorite Trio and children.

Here's another article about what JK Rowling said about crying over the new story.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2886208/harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-cry-jk-rowling/?xrs=_s.web_aol

It is very difficult to wait to get my hands on the book/script coming out July 31st - Harry's 36th birthday. How about you? I know at least one of our number is lucky enough to be going to the actual production of the plays. That's got to be nerve-wrecking waiting for that! Tell us what you really think about this upcoming addition to the Harry Potter canon!
June 10, 2016, 01:08:49 AM
Reply #35

Laura W

Well, I am totally jealous of whomever it is who will be going to see the play.   :censored:  That's what I have to say. (grin)

LW
July 14, 2016, 03:38:52 PM
Reply #36

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Well, I am totally jealous of whomever it is who will be going to see the play.   :censored:  That's what I have to say. (grin)

LW
That would be me. :)

It is very difficult to wait to get my hands on the book/script coming out July 31st - Harry's 36th birthday. How about you? I know at least one of our number is lucky enough to be going to the actual production of the plays. That's got to be nerve-wrecking waiting for that! Tell us what you really think about this upcoming addition to the Harry Potter canon!
I have spent a couple of months considering this, and I've actually decided to not get the book on 31 July. I don't think I'd be able to not open it if I did. And I have decided to attempt to stay unspoiled for the fortnight that will elapse between the book release and my theatre visit. Wish me luck! I do expect to bounce in ready to discuss with everyone in mid-August.

For a long time this felt very far into the future, and now... suddenly, I'm starting to realise it is (for me) roughly a month to go, and for everybody else 2 weeks! Just two weeks.... WOW!

:stars:

These Pottermore articles makes me even more intrigued:
https://www.pottermore.com/news/cursed-child-set-design-christine-jones-interview
https://www.pottermore.com/news/cursed-child-actor-paul-thornley-interview
If you haven't seen them yet enjoy!

Do you remember that horrific smiley at Leaky Lounge, that used to buzz around showing excitement in a thoroughly annoying way, where ever it appeared? Stealing all attention from the text next to it? This is the first time it feels appropriate and I almost miss it....  ;)

For any SPOILER related thoughts, though, go to the brand new: Cursed Child Discussion Board.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 04:12:16 PM by Evreka »
July 15, 2016, 04:00:59 AM
Reply #37

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone

LW
That would be me. :)

I have spent a couple of months considering this, and I've actually decided to not get the book on 31 July. I don't think I'd be able to not open it if I did. And I have decided to attempt to stay unspoiled for the fortnight that will elapse between the book release and my theatre visit. Wish me luck! I do expect to bounce in ready to discuss with everyone in mid-August.

For a long time this felt very far into the future, and now... suddenly, I'm starting to realise it is (for me) roughly a month to go, and for everybody else 2 weeks! Just two weeks.... WOW!

:stars:

These Pottermore articles makes me even more intrigued:
https://www.pottermore.com/news/cursed-child-set-design-christine-jones-interview
https://www.pottermore.com/news/cursed-child-actor-paul-thornley-interview
If you haven't seen them yet enjoy!

Do you remember that horrific smiley at Leaky Lounge, that used to buzz around showing excitement in a thoroughly annoying way, where ever it appeared? Stealing all attention from the text next to it? This is the first time it feels appropriate and I almost miss it....  ;)

For any SPOILER related thoughts, though, go to the brand new: Cursed Child Discussion Board.

I am horribly jealous Evreka! I think that my end of the earth will probably be the last place that the play arrives! Have a wonderful time, you lucky thing!!!! :yay:

July 15, 2016, 03:57:28 PM
Reply #38

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix

LW
That would be me. :) ....
I am horribly jealous Evreka! I think that my end of the earth will probably be the last place that the play arrives! Have a wonderful time, you lucky thing!!!! :yay:
Thank you! I will...  :hogwartsc:

But look at it from the bright side instead... If I somehow manages to see it unspoiled, you will have delved into this story two weeks before I will.... And I haven't waited for a HP story since postponing the date to go and see PSS/SS the movie before knowing what HP was, nearly 15 years ago....!!
July 15, 2016, 11:30:25 PM
Reply #39

Laura W

Yeah, have a  wonderful time Evreka. You know I mean that. (ha, ha) 

In all seriousness, I hope the play lives up to all the hype.  I really do.  Just because something has the name "Harry Potter" connected with it, it doesn't mean it will be great - as in how great the books are.  Look at the eight movies.  Some people liked all of them, some people who loved the books were disappointed in at least some of the films.  Right?  As one who is a live theatre nut - and a Harry Potter book series nut? -, I sort of fear for the play.  You know?  But I genuinely hope it is great!

HealerOne wrote:
:) I am quite happy they decided to publish the play's script. Most plays do publish the script at some point. It certainly does give access to the contents to a whole lot more people than just those able to score tickets to the play.  This is great news! I already have put the book on my Wish List!

I also think it's cool that they are going to publish the script.  :reading:

Laura