June 21, 2018, 09:09:51 PM

Author Topic: Go Set a Watchman  (Read 893 times)

July 14, 2015, 08:26:52 AM

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
It's finally here: Go Set a Watchman, Harper Lee's previously unpublished first novel, some sixty years after it was first written.  Even though it is a chronological sequel to To Kill a Mockingbird, its writing predated that of the beloved classic by a few years.  Will you be on line at the bookstore on Tuesday to get your copy?  Did you pre-order it weeks ago?  Or have you chosen not to read it?

What are your thoughts prior to reading this book?  Have you been influenced by the controversy about whether the author has given her informed consent for it to be printed?  Have you read any reviews or rumors about it that concern you?

If you've yet to get your copy (or if you've yet to decide whether to read it), if you like you may start by reading the first chapter here.

What do you think of it so far?  :hermioneread:

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
July 14, 2015, 09:27:59 AM
Reply #1

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
I popped into a bookstore just before it closed this afternoon. I haven't had a moment to look at it yet as I am in the middle of cooking a very yummy curry. It is quite cold here so I think an early night with a new book is just the ticket.

I have tried to keep away from the hype but I did participate in the To Kill A Mockingbird reread (even though I read it last year). I am a little nervous about reading this book but I have not got into the mindset that it will be as good as the original.

Just have to dive in and see. Looking forward to the discussion.  :reading:

July 14, 2015, 11:51:12 PM
Reply #2

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
 :reading: I downloaded the Kindle edition early this morning, but haven't gotten to it yet. I'm crossing my fingers that the book will be well written. I am a little suspect in that the manuscript was said not to be edited before it was published. That could be very unfortunate for Harper Lee and the characters she constructed. From what I saw of the few interviews and things that were said about the book. Ms Lee did agree to have it published so I think a lot was made over her not wanting it published. She still had the rights and several friends have stated she still has a sharp mind, so in my mind I think she did give her permission without coercion.

Looking forward to reading it.
July 15, 2015, 12:11:51 AM
Reply #3

Laura W

In the city in which I live, there are 18 branches of the public library.  The libraries have ordered a total of 40 copies of that book, which has not come in yet.  As of today - July 14 -, there are 446 "holds" on that book.  Well, 446 holds on the 40 copies when they get here.   :censored:

Laura
July 15, 2015, 02:58:33 AM
Reply #4

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
The situation is similar at my library.  There are 458 holds on 72 copies of the book between 6 branches.  I think the books have arrived but still need to be labeled, etc., before they can be put in circulation.

I started to read To Kill a Mockingbird for the first time in February but haven't finished it yet (mostly due to a severe lack of reading time), so I'm not quite ready for Go Set a Watchman anyway and don't mind the wait for the book.  If I see a good price on the book while I'm waiting, I might buy the book instead.  I'll need a lot longer than 3 weeks to finish the book so I'd need to borrow and return the book multiple times if I get it from the library.  We'll see.
July 16, 2015, 12:26:11 AM
Reply #5

Laura W

I think that's a good idea.  I would recommend everybody who wants to read Go Set a Watchman should read To Kill A Mockingbird first.  Why?  Because if Go Set a Watchman is not very good, one might not bother to read the remarkable To Kill A Mockingbird(grin) 

Laura
July 28, 2015, 12:45:06 AM
Reply #6

paint it Black

• Forum Moderator
I was really tempted to re-read To Kill a Mockingbird before starting Go Set a Watchman, but I was able to get a copy of the latter from my library and couldn't resist starting in.  :ashamed: In some ways it is good that I'm not super-familiar with TKAM (I've only read it once, two years ago), because I am enjoying GSAW without worrying too much how it contradicts its cousin.  However, I may decide to do that TKAM re-read after I finish GSAW.  So far, I am enjoying both the story and the style and quality of the writing.

August 07, 2015, 03:51:19 PM
Reply #7

Cleo

Hello all! Evidently, the revision of Go Set A Watchman became To Kill A Mockingbird. Lee's editor had recommended focusing on and publishing the lives of the characters when they were younger. Talk about the lessons of revision and the effort necessary to come to a tighter written work! However we view Atticus now, the books provide wonderful insight into the ways in which we are influenced throughout our lives by tradition and environment. Even better, how do we learn to look beyond or through our own experiences at the needs of others? Go set a watchman; listen to conscience, if we dare! 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 03:52:54 PM by Cleo »
"That's the thing about people; they're so damned human."
August 07, 2015, 04:55:52 PM
Reply #8

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
I agree Cleo, that Go Set A Watchman has moments where it could have used some editing and tightening up of the characters and even the plot, and yet ... there are lovely passages to this book. The characters are familiar. As readers we are drawn to the main characters of Jean Louise (Scout)  and Atticus Finch. The story is an amazing one and I am sure that when it was first presented to the agent they probable thought Harper Lee might be lynched for presenting such a story. No wonder the agent wanted Ms. Lee to write about Jean Louise's past rather than the reality of the (then) present!

I was pretty impressed with the very truthful picture that she drew of the South during that early Civil Rights struggle in the US. And unlike some, I didn't come away with a feeling that Ms Lee had been untrue to the Atticus' character. This book was like a coming-of-age for Scout to discover the truth of her father's inner struggle to champion equal rights. This book really makes Atticus more 'real' rather than a 'Knight in Shining Armor' that we see in Mocking Bird.

I know I will need to reread the book again (and perhaps again and again!) to really be able to sift through all that this book has to offer. I am really looking forward to the opening of a book club discussion soon in Platform One:Books here in DiscussionStation!

Edited to indicate that the book club discussion will be in the The Platform Café: Book Club Area. Look for it soon!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 04:11:14 PM by HealerOne »
August 18, 2015, 10:47:20 PM
Reply #9

paint it Black

• Forum Moderator

Edited to indicate that the book club discussion will be in the The Platform Café: Book Club Area. Look for it soon!

It's true!  It's here!  Finish up your reading everyone and come join us!    :hermionelibrary:

Cuppa Presents: Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee