April 21, 2018, 01:12:57 AM

Author Topic: Scout's Journey Home  (Read 457 times)

August 08, 2015, 08:20:42 AM

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
Jean Louise has not been back to her hometown of Maycomb for many years. Rather than fly she decides to embark on a rail journey. She states that it is for the convenience of her father but seems delighted to be venturing back into the familiar. Her renowned stubbornness shone through at her refusal of help when stuck in the train bunk even though her modesty was the ruling factor.

The long trip gave Jean Louise time to reminisce and recall times past and the Maycomb that she had left behind.

How do you think Jean Louise felt about returning to Maycomb?

Do you think that years of big city living has changed the way she looks at her hometown and it's residents?

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 09:38:27 AM by RiverSpirit »

August 30, 2015, 03:29:40 PM
Reply #1

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
As I began the book, I could feel the excitement that Jean Louise was going through. I loved how Ms Harper used the changing landscapes as she rides the train  :train: to describe the differences between where Jean Louise was living in NYC to Maycomb.  As you are pulled into the story, JL shares the little jokes about her journey in such a way that you understand that many things have not changed in the Maycomb area, but JL has. Yes, I do agree that living in the North/Big City has changed JL. She had adjusted to a place where race was not as much a defining issue (Although as we know that's not entirely true) as it was in her tiny home town of Maycomb. Her outlook of being 'color blind' was more supported in the North, so going back to this little town after maturing into an adult makes her realize how in the past her ideas of how things were - were not necessarily how they actually were.

I think this is rather typical of when adults return to where they lived as children - especially if they have experienced a much wider world outlook than how they were raised. It's just in this return you have the whole background of Civil Rights which is a pretty significant time in the USA history. That's what makes this story so relevant to understanding that time.