April 19, 2018, 12:42:34 PM

Author Topic: He's b-a-c-k! > Career of Evil  (Read 1110 times)

October 03, 2015, 06:37:11 PM

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Just a reminder! The new Robert Galbraith novel, Career of Evil, featuring Cormoran Strike will be out this month! > Oct. 22 in Sweden and England and the 20th in the USA. (Not sure about elsewhere.)

Here are some suggestions for discussion, Feel free to bring in any other points or questions you'd like to discuss.

~ Are you looking forward to this third title in the Strike novels? What in particular are you looking forward to about the book?

~ What can be gleaned from the new book's title and the book's jacket?

~ Have you visited the Robert Galbraith's website: http://robert-galbraith.com ? What do you think of the promo there? Any other social media you are following about the book?

~ How do you think that Cormoran's and Robin's characters and relationship will develop?

~ Do you think Robin's relationship with her boyfriend will continue? If so, do you think there will be any changes in his attitude to Cormoran or Robin's job choice?

October 05, 2015, 02:46:04 AM
Reply #1

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
I can't wait for this book! I have fallen for Cormoran and am keen to see where he is heading in this book. 

Robin is perfect for him but I don't see her leaving her fiance  yet but I don't think she will marry him. Maybe it's time to introduce a love interest for Cormoran and get Robin jealous.

The Australian release date is the 20th so I will have a head start on the rest of the world.

October 06, 2015, 02:11:04 PM
Reply #2

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
I agree that the Robin/Cormoran relationship is what I am looking forward to the most. I think you are right that Cormoran may get involved with someone else just at the point when Robin may have a falling out with her boyfriend.

Have you seen that cover and the tag line about the book? It sounds pretty evil. Parts of bodies sent through the mail? Wicked. I have a feeling this is going to be a very dark book, but on the other hand we may be treated to more of Cormoran's back story which should be worth the gore in the book. I thought the last book was rather gory but this one appears to be in line to rival The Silkworm. It seems like Galbraith is channeling his (her) inner Steven King!

Oh and the Title - Career of Evil? I wonder if that refers to Strike or to someone else? What do you think?
October 06, 2015, 07:52:47 PM
Reply #3

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I'm definitely looking forward to another instalment of this crime series by my favourite author. I think mostly I want to know what's in store for Robin and Cormoran, but I'd also love some more back story on them.  As this is already known about it:
Spoiler
A fiendishly clever mystery with unexpected twists around every corner, it is also a gripping story of a man and a woman at a crossroads in their personal and professional lives.
I am guessing that Robin's relationship with her fiancé is becoming even rockier and that they will break up. I would actually like to see her and Cormoran as a couple, but I guess it could well be that he meets somebody else or Charlotte comes back instead. I do think Robin and Cormoran fit each other, though.

I'd also love to know what it is in Robin's past that made her fiancé so surprised that she wanted to work as a private eye. It's been hinted to in both previous books...

As for the crime story itself, it's impossible to be sure of anything, but I'd guess the Career of Evil refers to the Murderer. Maybe he's been a secret Agent and have been taught to kill? And now is deploying his skills in ways no one would want?

I also found certain aspects of the murder case in The Silkworm quite EWWW  :yuck: and this title unfortunately sounds as if there are more EWW :yuck: to come....
October 06, 2015, 09:38:16 PM
Reply #4

roonwit

I think I am alone in thinking that Robin and Cormoran won't end up as a couple. I haven't spotted signs that Robin thinks of Cormoran in that way, for example she is astonished, not jealous, when it seems likely that he spent a night with a supermodel. Robin and Matthew seemed to be getting on better towards the end of the last book, so I think we will have the prospect of the rearranged wedding during this book. I do think they will get married but I think it would be difficult to put the wedding off again so I think their situation is likely to get resolved one way or another. Also the author seemed happy for the main male and female characters not to end up together in another series.

So far we have had murderers in both books and either Robin or Cormoran have been attacked by the murderer at the end, so we might see that again (perhaps it is Matthew's turn!), and I think it is more likely than not that we will have a murder or murders in this book. I can see Robin doing some of the investigating, and not just when Cormoran is incapacitated, though that might include the side investigations.
October 07, 2015, 07:49:36 PM
Reply #5

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I think I am alone in thinking that Robin and Cormoran won't end up as a couple. I haven't spotted signs that Robin thinks of Cormoran in that way, for example she is astonished, not jealous, when it seems likely that he spent a night with a supermodel.
Isn't this in Cuckoo's Calling? I don't recall any supermodels from The Silkworm? I think Robin, more or less in the whole first novel, sees Matthew in a pink light. Whereas in the second novel she gradually starts to see other sides to him, sides that she really doesn't like - although she isn't keen to admit it even to herself. As such, I don't think this incident shows where her and cormoran's relationship may or may not go.

Robin and Matthew seemed to be getting on better towards the end of the last book, so I think we will have the prospect of the rearranged wedding during this book. I do think they will get married but I think it would be difficult to put the wedding off again so I think their situation is likely to get resolved one way or another.
I don't know about that. I read it more as Matthew reluctantly gave in to Robin and is likely to let her know of his displeasure in more or less subtle ways now. I don't really see them as fitting together either, given the little we know about them now.

So far we have had murderers in both books and either Robin or Cormoran have been attacked by the murderer at the end, so we might see that again (perhaps it is Matthew's turn!), and I think it is more likely than not that we will have a murder or murders in this book. I can see Robin doing some of the investigating, and not just when Cormoran is incapacitated, though that might include the side investigations.
I'm sure there'll be murders - these are crime stories after all - and most such books always gets some of the main characters in danger sooner or later. So, yes, Cormoran and/or Robin (or Matthew) will be targeted in this one too, I'm sure.

Interesting thought that it could be Matthew... That would really throw a screw ball out there...  :hmm:

Two other things I'm interested in seeing are:
* If Robin does get away on the investigation course or if she has that behind her when the book begins? If not, Cormoran might have to do a lot of things without her for awhile... But it doesn't sound so on the back side text on the website, does it?
* "Galbraith" said at some point that The Career of Evil would be quite different from the other two, and that we'd learn a lot more about what life's like for soldiers returning home. I do wonder what that means?
October 20, 2015, 09:17:11 PM
Reply #6

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
I've jumped in head first and it looks like it's going to be a very bumpy ride! I was only at the top of page two before I first yelled "oh, no!"

I have to go to work today but I will be spending my lunch break with my nose in the book. Already it seems darker and I am only a few chapters in.

October 21, 2015, 05:15:55 PM
Reply #7

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Glad there were all thee reminders here!  :o I almost forgot to download the book! Yikes!  :( So I am off to Amazon to get my copy! can't wait!
October 21, 2015, 08:24:04 PM
Reply #8

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Just a friendly reminder for everyone's sake: This thread in the book board. Let's keep it spoiler free.

For in depth discussions of the content, please use the Career of Evil board under The Platform Café, OK?

I just realised today that since Amazon.co.uk redirects to Amazon.com for non-UK residents trying to get a Kindle edition, I too could have got it yesterday!  :o Anyway, now I have it.  :)  :hermioneread:

I'm off to read.... POP!  :disapparate:
November 02, 2015, 08:52:46 PM
Reply #9

roonwit

There is an audio clip of Jo speaks on writing as Robert Galbraith here. There are spoilers on Career of Evil, and a longer interview here.
November 03, 2015, 07:23:45 PM
Reply #10

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
There is an audio clip of Jo speaks on writing as Robert Galbraith here. There are spoilers on Career of Evil, and a longer interview here.
Thank you very much for those links!  :hug: They're really interesting and in the latter case feels like a really charming conversation that you are allowed to listen in to.

Apart from Galbraith and "his" characters, she also talks briefly about other aspects of writing and other projects, such as Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and of the fact that she has plans for more books in her own name (though not Potter books) and more. I guess we'll see what will happen on that front...
November 04, 2015, 12:13:07 AM
Reply #11

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
Thanks; I'll look forward to checking out those links after I finish reading the book.  :thumbup:

I am joining you all in being definitely interested in picking up where Cormoran's story left off!  I'm much more likely to get books from the library than to purchase them, but I made an exception in this case so I could start right in.  I'm only a few chapters in so far, but I'm already enjoying being back in Cormoran and Robin's company, and getting caught up on what's happened since the last book.

I was kind of hoping that the central crime would not be quite as gruesome as in The Silkworm, but I read here that researching for this book gave JK Rowling actual nightmares!  :-\ (There are no real spoilers in this article, but I can't vouch for the contents of the audio interview or the comments below it.) I'm still in for the ride, though!  :thumbup: I can't wait to finish and take part in the Discussion Group:clap:

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!