April 23, 2018, 04:56:28 AM

Poll

Author Topic: How would you rank Robert Galbraith Books so far?  (Read 1098 times)

October 20, 2015, 08:16:29 PM

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
How would you rank the Cormoran Strike novels? Which is your favourite so far? Which one do you like the least? Come share how you'd rank them, and not least, why you rank them thus! We'd love to hear it!  :grouptalk:
October 27, 2015, 09:17:25 PM
Reply #1

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Interestingly, I would consider this book much more a thriller than a run-of-the-mill detective book. It was by far the most 'intense' book of the series. I was on edge with anxiety through most of the book. I don't know how JKR is able to get into the mindset of these most evil characters. She leads us along in the dark as we get to know these evil beings. She makes sure that we realize these creeps are capable to really dangerous stuff and then she mixes in the characters we care the most about - Robin and Cormoran. It makes for scary, tension-filled reading. It sure made you want to turn those pages!
November 24, 2015, 12:30:02 AM
Reply #2

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
There are a few things that really differentiate Career of Evil from the other Strike novels.  One is that the driving thread of the book is not justice for the victims (as it was in the first two books) but the threat against Robin.  This gave solving the case a real sense of urgency -- we don't want our Robin to be in danger!  Also in this book, no one hired Strike to find the killer, he was doing it because he was personally involved in the case.  The other big difference is that this is the first Strike novel to provide chapters written from the killer's POV, which (among other things) gives readers a much better chance to figure out the killer.

So, did these changes make me like this novel more than the others?  I'd say Yes, particularly the chapters with the killer's POV.  I think it was an effective way to draw me deeper into the story and really want to try to figure out the identity of the killer.  I'm not completely certain that I like Career of Evil more than Cuckoo's Calling, because there's always a soft spot for the first one.  :) I surely liked it better than The Silkworm, though.  I still can't get over how gruesome the crime scene was in that one, and I didn't find The Silkworm's characters as relatable as in the other two books.

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!