April 23, 2018, 04:56:30 AM

Author Topic: Cormoran, Robin & other Characters  (Read 8096 times)

November 28, 2015, 01:04:24 AM
Reply #20

roonwit

I think the phone thing could have stopped the wedding or perhaps the honeymoon. However I see her "I do" addressed to both Matthew and Strike - she is accepting Matthew as her husband, but she is also answering Strike's implied question - by turning up at the wedding he is showing he has forgiven her and is asking her to come back. She is happy because her dream job as a detective is back on. I think Matthew's best course is to confess to what he has done to her phone while she is still on a high and ask her to leave Strike blocked until the honeymoon is over. He could suggest she gives Strike a few minutes at the reception to discuss the main points of the case (it would probably result in a better honeymoon if Robin knows the key points as I can see her glued to the news as the full story comes out otherwise).
I, too, expected that phone incident to stop the wedding from happening, but as it did...  :ron: I suppose Robin does not yet know about it.

I wonder if she really read in all that in that instantly at seeing Cormoran?  I'm still inclined to think she married Matthew in spite, to show Cormoran that all is well and she can take her being fired and yet become happy (on the surface that is).
She decided (or re-decided) to marry Matthew when she decided to forgive him in front of the Royal Wedding, so I don't see that continuing in a mostly completed wedding had anything to do with Strike. I do think that Robin saw at least the possibility of the things I said above, and it may not be an instant reaction because I think it is reasonably likely that she has considered beforehand the possibilities of getting her job back and what it would mean if Strike did come to the wedding.
But we know that Matthew has very little imagination and I can't imagine him wanting to discuss what happened to her phone on their wedding day. So I doubt he'd be at all happy to give Robin and Cormoran any time together on the wedding. Now, whether he can stop it is another thing entirely...
I said that is what Matthew should do, but I am not convinced that Matthew would do it either. But I don't think Matthew can stop Strike and Robin talking, the best thing he can do is take control of the meeting, for example by being present when they talk. His best attempt was to block Strike on Robin's phone, but that was only going to work if Strike wasn't at the wedding and Robin didn't decide to phone Strike.
Also, I wonder if not some part of Cormoran's decision to fire her came from his wish to keep her out of harm's way? This way he could also truthfully spread the knowledge that he had a new secretary and set the trap up for the killer.
I don't think so. Robin's actions could have seriously hampered the police investigations meaning that Strike's detective agency would be finished, and her actions could have led to the death of another victim if Brockbank had been the killer and killed again. I think Strike merely took advantage of Robin's sacking to lay a trail to keep Laing out of the way while he checked out his flat and provide a plausible version of how he caught Laing that missed out his more dubious actions.
I think Strike is right when he decides that Robin is the marrying kind, and he is definitely not ready for that kind of commitment. Despite what he thinks of Matthew I think he will be glad that Robin is married, providing a firm barrier to romance, meaning Strike can be more relaxed about their working relationship.
Yeah, I can see why this would make sense to Cormoran, I'm just not sure this particular barrier has much chance of a long time survival...  :P
I think it will survive, partly because it is convenient for Jo to have two detectives that are close but without romantic complications. Robin must surely have realized by now what Matthew is like, and has decided to tolerate his more annoying actions, to some extent at least. I am sure there will be rows but I think Matthew will have to do something really stupid to cause a lasting breakup.
I'm almost wondering if Robin and Matthew didn't have some sort of agreement about Strike that hinged upon whether or not he attended the wedding.  Something like, Matthew made Robin promise to cut Strike out of her life completely if Strike didn't contact her before Robin and Matthew became man and wife.  (Since he's already put the block on her phone, Matthew probably thinks he's got it sewed up at this point.)  Robin would be very sad that Strike never calls her, but when he shows up at the ceremony just in time (and his battered state would likely support a good reason why he couldn't have called), Robin is super-happy that Strike has made contact again, and at the very least they can still be friends.
I can't see Matthew proposing such an agreement or Robin agreeing to it. I think he hopes that Robin has heard the last of Strike and may still be worried that Strike is a rival for Robin's affections and even at this late stage that she might dump him for Strike, but I think the most he could do is suggest that Strike isn't going to call and that she uses the wedding as point to make a fresh Strike-less life for herself.
I also think that Robin values the possibility of being a detective again more than her friendship with Strike, though I am sure she misses Strike as well.

ETA
Slightly off topic, it is Cormoran's birthday today (23rd November) according to this post on Twitter.
Did she ever answer when Robin's was?
I checked the link roonwit supplied, and she did later reply that Robin's birthday is October 9.
I didn't see any reply from Jo on this (though others did say October 9) but it is in The Silkworm towards the end of Chapter 7, where we also find out Strike's birthday is 23rd of some month (which has to be November given the context and days of the week of both birthdays).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 04:55:36 PM by roonwit »
November 30, 2015, 04:43:56 PM
Reply #21

Conchie

Very interesting to read all the theories re Robin and Matthew.     Are we really THAT sure that they are married.    The most interesting bit for me was hearing that up to the point Strike crashed into the flowers and got the beaming reaction from Robin,  neither Bride or Groom had cracked a smile throughout the entire ceremony.    Isn't that the real story of the day.      WHY are the bride and groom miserable.   Did something happen.      Surely Matthew,  with Strike well out the way and standing in front of Robin at last marrying her,  have been like the cat that got the cream.  Beaming…. delighted with himself, everything working out just as he wanted.   He gets the girl, and is rid of the man he has a seething jealousy of.    Something has therefore happened to result in this miserable tension at the altar.   Could it be that he told Robin about the phone wiping in order to come clean and she was fuming. No… I don't think that is even a possibility. He is not going to risk her fury so close to the wedding.       Could it be that in spite of everything, deep down he can see in Robin's own demeanor, on the very day that should be the happiest day of her life, that she is just going through the motions and in his heart he knows he has lost her anyway.     Wouldn't the dramatic change in Robin's mood turning from what seems to be disinterest or misery to joy at the sight of Strike have been the game changing moment when it just couldn't go on.    Even if it was, would the ceremony have proceeded long enough to have reached a "legal" stage.   Will it all come out about the phone before the confetti hits the ground and the bride does not even make it to the reception. !! Oh it's all to play for… so many possibilities.. and not an ounce of patience in me to wait a year to find out !    Most annoying.         
November 30, 2015, 07:23:49 PM
Reply #22

roonwit

Very interesting to read all the theories re Robin and Matthew.     Are we really THAT sure that they are married.
The text says they are married (Matthew is referred to as her new husband) so I think we can be sure that they did get married, though technically there is still more of the service to go including the signing of the register before they are actually married (legally and religiously). Also if Robin did want to back out she could have done so by not answering "I do".
The most interesting bit for me was hearing that up to the point Strike crashed into the flowers and got the beaming reaction from Robin,  neither Bride or Groom had cracked a smile throughout the entire ceremony.    Isn't that the real story of the day.      WHY are the bride and groom miserable.
Actually, it is only said that Robin didn't smile though the service until then, and Matthew's stony face is probably a reaction to Strike crashing into their wedding and Robin's reaction to it. I think Robin is still upset about losing her job and apparently being replaced, which is why her expression changes when she knows Strike is there. Of course smiling isn't obligatory and Robin could just have been appearing nervous rather than unhappy before then.
Could it be that he told Robin about the phone wiping in order to come clean and she was fuming. No… I don't think that is even a possibility. He is not going to risk her fury so close to the wedding.
I also don't think he would have told Robin about what he did to her until after the wedding (if at all), because I think he would like the security of being married before admitting to something that might cause a row and perhaps even Robin not going through with the marriage. But it is possible that Robin has already worked it out (it didn't sound like he was good at covering his tracks).