October 16, 2018, 09:41:11 AM

Author Topic: Why Dumbledore went to the hilltop  (Read 845 times)

October 27, 2015, 10:29:22 PM

roonwit

Jo has posted an opinion piece discussing her position on boycotting Israel entitled Why Dumbledore went to the hilltop. I think it is an interesting read whatever your position on the boycott.

October 28, 2015, 12:48:39 PM
Reply #1

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
For someone who doesn't have twitter it would help if you included some info on the underlying issue that Jo is reacting to? I seem to have missed this debate altogether?
October 28, 2015, 11:57:03 PM
Reply #2

roonwit

For someone who doesn't have twitter it would help if you included some info on the underlying issue that Jo is reacting to? I seem to have missed this debate altogether?
I am not an expert on twitter either, but there is an earlier post here and the article it links to here that gives some background.
October 29, 2015, 02:15:46 AM
Reply #3

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
I read all the links you put here on the subject and I must say I was impressed. I totally agree that cultural and academic boycotts are worthless. It is through books like Harry Potter that people learn what tolerance and love is all about. Putting forward the arts touches the heart of every human. It's a universal language. Cultural exchanges help to build bridges not knock them down.

Personally I really love the mental image of Dumbledore going to the hilltop. That's really powerful.
August 20, 2016, 11:49:38 AM
Reply #4

alongside

.......as long as all representatives are invited to the hilltop discussions, not only the ones we want to listen to......
August 26, 2016, 08:41:14 PM
Reply #5

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
.......as long as all representatives are invited to the hilltop discussions, not only the ones we want to listen to......
I can certainly see what you are saying and it is a valid and important point.  :nod: Yet, I think the hilltop meeting discussed here is also symbolic of the need to be able to listen to any one side in a conflict - other than your own. Even if there had been three sides during Voldemort War I, say the goblins would have been a third "side" for instance, that meeting between two people on two different sides would still have been important, I think. It's all about keeping the lines of communication opened, after all.

:welcome: to DS, by the way!  :harry: