June 19, 2018, 10:54:12 PM

Author Topic: The Best Film You've Never Heard Of  (Read 699 times)

November 04, 2015, 01:24:57 AM

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
Every once in a while, a visit to the cinema, the dvd shelf at the library, or your favorite online movie source will yield a previously-undiscovered gem that makes one think, "Why has no one told me about this film before!?"  Well here is your chance to pass on some of your little-known favorites that never quite made it to blockbuster status.  Which truly great dramas or hysterically funny comedies (or favorites in any genre) do you think never got the praise and widespread acknowledgement that they deserved?  Please share your favorite film treasures with us right here.  :)

I'm going to start, with one of my favorite animated movies, Monsters vs. Aliens.  Yes, you may have heard of it, but have you seen it?  It is really really funny and has an excellent cast, consisting of Reese Witherspoon, Seth Rogan, Will Arnett, Hugh Laurie, Rainn Wilson, and Stephen Colbert (and many others you'll know), all at the top of their game.  I guess the basic plot description of A team of monsters seeks to defeat an alien seeking world domination wasn't enough to bring in the big bucks for this film, but I think there should have been sequels all over the place for this one, it is that good, IMO.  If you are looking for something with spot-on performances and a clever script filled with laughs (granted, not necessarily the sophisticated kind), definitely check this one out!

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
November 04, 2015, 05:25:28 PM
Reply #1

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
These might not really fit your category as I have no knowledge of how well known they were/are, but to me they were a very pleasant surprise.

I am very interested in all sorts of "Behind the scenes" info about how films are made: Anything from "page to screen", location scouting, casting, film tricks, interviews with cast and crew,.... you name it. As a result I often buy DVDs on behalf of whether they seem to include potentially interesting behind the scenes info. Many of these films I have never heard of before. Consequently, I have come home with a wide range of qualities on films, in my opinion.

One day I bought The Secret Life of Bees. And this, this was a real gem!
It's an interesting drama which apparently is adapted from a book. At the onset a teen age girl, Lily, lives with a way too stern father since her Mum's death when she was very young. She stumbles upon information from her mother's past, pointing out the town she came from and decides to leave her father and go there to try to understand the fleeting memories that she has a bit better, and hopefully learn more about her mother along the way. From the people she meet upon arrival to this town and the events as they unfurl, this is a most charming, warm and inviting tale, at the same time as it holds both suspense and tragedy as well. All in all, it was a wonderful story to behold.   :love:

Another of those very positive surprises was the film The Blind Side, which tells the [apparently] true story of a homeless youngster with learning difficulties who out of pure chance are accepted into a high-profile private school under the presumption that he can play football very well. When one of the parents to other kids on the scool realises that he has nowhere to sleep one night, she offers him the coach in her home. From that moment onwards things take an upturn for the youngster, who eventually became an NFL player. This too, is an interesting and heart-warming story which it was a pleasure to see.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:28:07 PM by Evreka »
November 28, 2015, 12:41:42 AM
Reply #2

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator
One day I bought The Secret Life of Bees. And this, this was a real gem!
It's an interesting drama which apparently is adapted from a book. At the onset a teen age girl, Lily, lives with a way too stern father since her Mum's death when she was very young. She stumbles upon information from her mother's past, pointing out the town she came from and decides to leave her father and go there to try to understand the fleeting memories that she has a bit better, and hopefully learn more about her mother along the way. From the people she meet upon arrival to this town and the events as they unfurl, this is a most charming, warm and inviting tale, at the same time as it holds both suspense and tragedy as well. All in all, it was a wonderful story to behold.   :love:
I've heard of this one I think (I believe it's based on a novel); it seems like it would be worth checking out!

Another of those very positive surprises was the film The Blind Side...
This one did end up becoming quite popular.  I never saw it because I thought it might be a little too heavy-handed with the sentimentality for me.  Glad you liked it, though!

I am very interested in all sorts of "Behind the scenes" info about how films are made: Anything from "page to screen", location scouting, casting, film tricks, interviews with cast and crew,.... you name it. As a result I often buy DVDs on behalf of whether they seem to include potentially interesting behind the scenes info. Many of these films I have never heard of before. Consequently, I have come home with a wide range of qualities on films, in my opinion.
A bit off topic, but... earlier this year I checked out the second Hobbit movie, The Desolation of Smaug, as I wanted to refresh my memory on what happened before I saw the final film of the trilogy in the cinema.  My impression was that the bonus features of this film were perhaps the best of this type of any that I have seen! :thumbup:  The "Behind the scenes" info was so complete that it covered every viewpoint from the director to the stars to the extras to the caterers.  And it was all really interesting!  There is a lot of fascinating technical information about special effects as well.  My favorite was probably when they showed the actors working with the director right before they shot a scene -- the actor might spontaneously make a suggestion of how to carry out something in the scene, the director likes the idea and they shoot it, and then you see the scene in the film, knowing from where that idea came.  My guess is that all of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings films have these really good bonus scenes, but I can at least recommend the Smaug one, if you are into these films!

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!