June 21, 2018, 09:17:42 PM

Author Topic: Minor titbit on Galbraith 4 (info from Jo)  (Read 1104 times)

December 02, 2015, 09:22:32 PM

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
A very minor part of the long Conversation between Lauren Laverne and Jo Rowling that the Guardian has published a few days ago contains some information from Galbraith book 4 READ at your own risk but not really much of a spoiler

LL I wondered how you measured success. ....

LL But once you’ve got the Légion d’honneur, how do you measure it?

JR It’s really weird you’re asking me that question, because four days ago I wrote the answer in the fourth Robert Galbraith book. Because when you meet my detective in book four, he is reflecting on how success never feels the way you think it will be. Some people would assume that you’re sitting around feeling simply marvellous and shining your baubles. But I remember, a week after I got my American deal, which got me a lot of press, one of my very best girlfriends rang me and said, “I thought you’d sound so elated.” From the outside, I’m sure everything looked amazing. But in my flat, where I was still a single mum and I didn’t know who to call to do my hair, everything felt phenomenally overwhelming. For the first time in my life I could buy a house, which meant security for my daughter and me, but I now felt: “The next book can’t possibly live up to this.” So I managed to turn this amazing triumph into tragedy, in the space of about five days.

LL I think of that as the Big House Syndrome, which slightly scares me. Because lots of my contemporaries have gone off and done really amazing things, and I think of myself as chugging along, slightly under the radar, but consistent, right? I’m like a medium termer: stay in work, keep your head down. The scary thing about that really visible kind of success is that you then have to keep doing it – and you don’t know how you did it in the first place.

JR You did the thing that felt natural, and then you’re put in this position where it feels very unnatural. You’re trying to reconnect with this thing that felt normal five minutes ago.

So apparently he will now be successful. None of the things we're burning to know where hinted at however...

More info on this Conversation.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:24:19 PM by Evreka »

December 06, 2015, 02:51:59 PM
Reply #1

Conchie

Great to see that and not unexpected.  For a third time Cormoran has beaten the police to solve a case he was so publicly involved in.  I'm guessing business is booming in the next case.  Could he even have moved premises, he may well have.  It does not of course hint at the answer to the only question we all want to know, but that is good. Makes for a proper stampede when publication day comes ! 
December 07, 2015, 05:30:58 PM
Reply #2

roonwit

Great to see that and not unexpected.  For a third time Cormoran has beaten the police to solve a case he was so publicly involved in.  I'm guessing business is booming in the next case.  Could he even have moved premises, he may well have.  It does not of course hint at the answer to the only question we all want to know, but that is good. Makes for a proper stampede when publication day comes !
I think success means more cases than he can deal with (even with Robin helping) so he is working harder than ever. It probably also means a difficult time with the police, unless he is lucky enough to have a main case which Wardle or (perhaps) Anstis is the detective on, as the success was at their expense. He may also be suffering by the fame associated with success, as he might be becoming too recognizable, meaning that Robin is doing more of the surveillance work.
December 08, 2015, 10:51:06 PM
Reply #3

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
The obvious thing about Cormoran being very successful and having too many cases would be that he then would need more help - thus giving him a reason to beg Robin to come back and work with him. What do you think?

BTW I think it is brilliant of JKR to put her answer about fame onto the lips of one of her characters!
December 09, 2015, 07:26:56 PM
Reply #4

roonwit

The obvious thing about Cormoran being very successful and having too many cases would be that he then would need more help - thus giving him a reason to beg Robin to come back and work with him. What do you think?

BTW I think it is brilliant of JKR to put her answer about fame onto the lips of one of her characters!

I think Robin will be back soon after the honeymoon, and certainly by the start of the next book. She wants to go back and Strike wants wants her back so I don't see there being much of a delay. Robin might hold out for a more formal contract (which I think would be good for both of them), and Matthew will probably try to dissuade her but I can't see him being successful. I suspect business will soon pick up and provide work for two detectives.
As well as the in-story reason the book works better with a lead detective and someone to discuss the case with, which is why a lot of detective novels fit this pattern.