December 19, 2018, 02:43:08 PM

Author Topic: Severus Snape and the Marauders  (Read 690 times)

March 06, 2016, 11:08:13 AM

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
On March 1st a non-profit fan film was released on youtube called Severus Snape and the Marauders, which was funded through Kickstarter. It offers an interesting take on the dynamics between the marauders, Snape and Lily and also explores how they all developed into their wartime roles (and beyond).

You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/embed/EmsntGGjxiw

What do you think about the interpretation of the characters? Does it differ or flow along closely from the books/movies?
What are your thoughts on the scene/plot choice?
Do you like the idea of independent artists exploring the potterverse?

"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
March 07, 2016, 04:11:46 PM
Reply #1

T-Dane

• Staffer
  • There's only forward!
What do you think about the interpretation of the characters? Does it differ or flow along closely from the books/movies?
What are your thoughts on the scene/plot choice?
Do you like the idea of independent artists exploring the potterverse?
For me it seemed very close to their original characters, although something I can't put my finger on right now, didn't! (It wasn't as "amateurish" as I had feared at first)
The scene itself didn't seem plausible to me, seeing that Lily had already influenced James severely at this time, but I would think he had enough hot air in his head at this time to even consider Snape worth fighting - at least not for the reason described in the fan film? Again something didn't work all the way for me.
With a quality like this I wouldn't mind at all that the potterverse was explored even more. Sadly I've seen a fair share of toe-nail-curling snippets through the years - and as my toe nails curl upwards when it gets too awkward to look at for me.

:hedwig: Delivered by owl from a very dark spot of the universe!  ;)
March 08, 2016, 06:16:38 PM
Reply #2

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
For me it seemed very close to their original characters, although something I can't put my finger on right now, didn't! (It wasn't as "amateurish" as I had feared at first)
The scene itself didn't seem plausible to me, seeing that Lily had already influenced James severely at this time, but I would think he had enough hot air in his head at this time to even consider Snape worth fighting - at least not for the reason described in the fan film? Again something didn't work all the way for me.

I also feared at first it would be amateurish, so I was surprised when I saw how high quality and well thought out it was. I agree that by that time James had grown up more – at least that's how it came across for me in the books. I could see this scene fitting in the summer after Snape's worst memory, maybe even between 6th and 7th year. But then of course they could not have used apparation, which added some beautiful details.

At first it felt like they were going for an excuse to set up a flashy wand fight, but when the aftermath unfolds Mick Ignis (Snape) sold it to me as so much more. This not only explores the dynamics, but also touches on how bullying escalates. Might it even be asking whether James (egging the group on to join him) is to blame for Snape joining the Death Eaters, and for his and Lily's death. And what about Sirius barely batting an eye, Peter who rightly points out how formidable a spellcaster Snape is, or Remus rightfully interpreting this is dangerous and almost saying no?
Could this (setting minor plot inconsistencies aside) be used as a discussion starter about bullying in schools?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 08:59:22 PM by atschpe »
"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
March 21, 2016, 07:57:09 PM
Reply #3

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I just got around to see this, and like others have said the quality was surprisingly good.

I do agree that the characters, by and large, behave as could be expected of them as characters (as opposed to the scene as such).

I agree with T-Dane here, while this is good acting and good quality of effects, the scene feels just wrong - and I am also not convinced of some of the ways in which they behave.

First off, I can't really see the 17 year old Marauders behaving like this. There is a war around the corner, Lily has influenced James by this time, real life is about to begin and Lily is already James' girl. Give me one reason they'd do something as stupid and as unfair as this, and to top it off to start it in a pub with lots of witnesses who can tell Lily who began it and how uneager Snape was?  :shake: Further, James might have saved Remus back primarily when he saved Severus life a year earlier, but it makes absolutely zero sense to me that he'd willingly attack Severus, four on one, like this, after saving his life earlier.

So as well done as the project seem to be, as off it seems in its choice of a scene.  :mcgonagall2:

Further, I do agree that Peter behaves in a way that fits his character as we learn about it, in the Shrieking Schack, a little over 15 years later. However, I do not find it the least likely that he would behave as he does confronted with Snape at the end, within hearing distance from his three friends. If such a scene had really happened there and then, I do not believe Sirius would ever have swapped Secret Keeping with him. He as good as says that he'll go with the winning side - the other three Marauders, in my mind at least - would regard that as high-treason.

So, although I might see it again, for the quality, it does not fit in well with canon Potterverse as I see it, which is a pity.

Under the express condition that WB and Rowling do not mind these kind of free projects (which I am not entirely convinced is the case), I guess I wouldn't mind either, as long as they stay true to the story. Here, they are not quite there, although the high quality still make it a bit interesting in the wake of more of the real, official HP verse.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 08:00:00 PM by Evreka »
March 26, 2016, 07:44:57 PM
Reply #4

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
First off, I can't really see the 17 year old Marauders behaving like this. There is a war around the corner, Lily has influenced James by this time, real life is about to begin and Lily is already James' girl. Give me one reason they'd do something as stupid and as unfair as this, and to top it off to start it in a pub with lots of witnesses who can tell Lily who began it and how uneager Snape was?  :shake: Further, James might have saved Remus back primarily when he saved Severus life a year earlier, but it makes absolutely zero sense to me that he'd willingly attack Severus, four on one, like this, after saving his life earlier.

So as well done as the project seem to be, as off it seems in its choice of a scene.  :mcgonagall2:

Further, I do agree that Peter behaves in a way that fits his character as we learn about it, in the Shrieking Schack, a little over 15 years later. However, I do not find it the least likely that he would behave as he does confronted with Snape at the end, within hearing distance from his three friends. If such a scene had really happened there and then, I do not believe Sirius would ever have swapped Secret Keeping with him. He as good as says that he'll go with the winning side - the other three Marauders, in my mind at least - would regard that as high-treason.

So, although I might see it again, for the quality, it does not fit in well with canon Potterverse as I see it, which is a pity.

Under the express condition that WB and Rowling do not mind these kind of free projects (which I am not entirely convinced is the case), I guess I wouldn't mind either, as long as they stay true to the story. Here, they are not quite there, although the high quality still make it a bit interesting in the wake of more of the real, official HP verse.

It is not a free project but a non-profit. I.e. the money form the kickstarter can only be used to pay for the production of the film nothing else. WB actually asked them to stop raising further money and keep this a one off, yet all the while supporting the project.

At first I also thought that it did not fit for James to still be such a bully after the 7th year. But one of the cast made an interesting comment (can't find who it was anymore, as I've read several reactions and watched some of their interviews to get a fuller picture): After Harry has witnessed Snape's worst memory he seeks an explanation from Sirius – Lupin happening to also be there. here is the back and forth:

Quote from:  OOtP, British paperback p. 590
"Look, Harry," said Sirius placatingly, "James and Snape hated each other from the moment they set eyes on each other, it was just one of those things, you can understand that, can’t you? I think James was everything Snape wanted to be — he was popular, he was good at Quidditch, good at pretty much everything. And Snape was just this little oddball who was up to his eyes in the Dark Arts and James —whatever else he may have appeared to you, Harry — always hated the Dark Arts.”
(…)
“Well,” said Lupin slowly, “Snape was a special case. I mean, he never lost an opportunity to curse James, so you couldn’t really expect James to take that lying down, could you?”
"And my mum was OK with that?"
"She didn't know too much about it, to tell you the truth," said Sirius. "I mean, James didn't take Snape on dates with her and jinx him in front of her, did he?"
Sirius frowned at Harry, who was still looking unconvinced.
"Look," he said," your father was the best friend I ever had and he was a good person. A lot of people are idiots"

James is still bullying Snape to some extent whilst dating Lily (7th year). Is it this bad – hard to say. Also, Harry is contacting them both out of the blue and I am sure they can tell he does not have much time. So their focus is to help him come to terms with what he witnessed and keep his positive view of his father, with comments such as "we were all idiots". And Sirius stresses James was his best friend, which could speak to him trying to view or subconsciously viewing his mate as the good person he wants to remember, taking Harry along for the ride.

I am not saying that James was bad through and through – far from it. But keeping in mind that we read about these things through the Harry filter and in this case through the account of two good friends and fellow Marauders ontop, who joined in to varying degrees with the "fun" (Lupin not doing anything is like offering silent concent), I would not fully say no to the interpretation this film offers. Taking the offered story line, one might even say that Snape was a catalyst in James finally outgrowing his bully-shoes and fully turning into the great man he became.

As to your comments about Peter – great catch. I have to agree, that Sirius would not do the secret-keeper swap, or should have not registered what Peter was doing for some reason.