April 23, 2018, 04:52:28 AM

Author Topic: Newest Potter Theories  (Read 395 times)

May 16, 2016, 09:36:05 AM

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
Yes, it has been years since the last book came out; it has even been a couple of years since the last film. And yet, still new theories and ways of viewing the material keep emerging. Let us take a look at them as they emerge. Some are just interesting, others might not fit but suddenly open a little door to a new way of looking at a detail. And then there are those that have an impact.

To start us off: I just discovered an extension on an older theory. The story of the three bothers has been paralleled as such: Voldemort is the oldest brother, seeking power (he also gains that wand)
Snape is the middle brother, unable to let go of his love for lily (he casts a reflection of her in his patronus)
Harry is the youngest, defying death again and again, (plus the actual owner of the cloak)

The new addition is Dumbledore embodying death: "He greeted Harry at King’s Cross and was the one behind Snape and Voldemort’s death." (harryjxmespotter, who formulated this extended idea on tumblr)
What is more Rowling has commented that she really likes the theory. You can read more here.

What do you think about this take?
Any theories you have come across or come up with, you would like to share?

"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
May 19, 2016, 11:03:45 PM
Reply #1

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Wow! My jaw dropped when I realized what you were saying: putting together the story of the Three Brothers and the reference to Death greeting the third brother as an equal. Then putting together the three main characters being portrayed as the brothers and Dumbledore being portrayed as the symbol for Death. Wowzer! ! Just Wow! Bows to JKR.

Since she felt this was the best of the fan theories, does that mean she didn't realize this was what she had written? OR was she just surprised someone had figured it out? Hmmm, scratches head. She is a witch! That lady! What a master storyteller = X 2! (the Harry Potter series and the Tale of the Three Brothers!)Just love that theory!
May 22, 2016, 06:17:59 PM
Reply #2

roonwit

Wow! My jaw dropped when I realized what you were saying: putting together the story of the Three Brothers and the reference to Death greeting the third brother as an equal. Then putting together the three main characters being portrayed as the brothers and Dumbledore being portrayed as the symbol for Death. Wowzer! ! Just Wow! Bows to JKR.

Since she felt this was the best of the fan theories, does that mean she didn't realize this was what she had written? OR was she just surprised someone had figured it out? Hmmm, scratches head. She is a witch! That lady! What a master storyteller = X 2! (the Harry Potter series and the Tale of the Three Brothers!)Just love that theory!

I think Jo is appreciating the fan theory for what it is rather than spotting something she deliberately placed for fans to find. I think there are some rough edges that Jo would have tidied up if it was intended, for example Voldemort is apparently descended from the wrong brother (Cadmus rather than Antioch), and he was never actually master of the Elder Wand and Snape doesn't kill himself (though he might have done if Dumbledore hadn't directed him onto a new purpose.
May 25, 2016, 02:00:23 PM
Reply #3

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
I agree, roonwit, that Jo is appreciative of what fans discover in her work. For me it is a sign of great work when you can find new points of view or ways of interpreting the material, beyond what the artist/writer consciously intended. Her acknowledging this shows another level of "greatness", as she allows the fans to explore and understand her work for themselves.

And yes, Healerone, I found it a very profound reading of the parallels, too. Very simple, but in doing so it offers so much depth. True some of the details are not there, as roonwit pointed out, but this is like an entry point to look at these dynamics from another point of view.

In a way I also feel that seeing these three as "brothers" works, well. As each found a home and/or a family when coming Hogwarts. Coming to the school they sort of crossed the bridge into the magical world, finding a sense of belonging. You could call them children (brothers?) of Hogwarts. And with Dumbledore meeting them and helping to shaping their paths, although they each made their choices how they would use the tools/gifts/knowledge they receive whilst there and beyond.

Have you come across any other new interpretations or parallels over the years since the series was completed?
"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)