June 21, 2018, 09:18:12 PM

Author Topic: CC SPOILER -Bridging the Gap between Harry's and Albus' story  (Read 715 times)

July 12, 2016, 07:25:49 PM

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
Bridging the Gap between Harry's and Albus' story

Potter
: Long gone is pain and fear of yonder years
When darkness riddleth our world and lives,
If thinketh thou now that past remaineth past
Ye have not pondered magic, souls and life.
My scar doth twinge not e’er more since then
Oh, memories! Friends and family still are missed
They say the world hath changed for ever more,
Yet change is but to those who knew before.
And so my son lives in these happ’er times
To guess at legends decades old he’s told.
Mix old and new, make memories and life one
The magic bond of son’s and father’s life.
Whilst I was orphaned, Al is young'st of three
What help, advice and guidance I could provide?
We differ much in background, cards life's dealt
As one we stand and face what life us brings.

As we prepare to open a new chapter in the potterverse, we look back on the plots past (but maybe not as far back as the above Shakespotter wants us to go) and forward to the new dynamics and characters that await us in the Cursed Child. So as we count down the last weeks and then days until we hold the play in our hands (or hand our ticket to the usher at the theater door), let us reflect on and gather the information we have from the Harry era, pottermore, previews and other tidbits of information we have.

• Which details from the Harry novels do you think will become or remain important for the play? What might have changed since his youth (e.g. in the Ministry of Magic or in Hogwarts)?
  • What kind of father do you think Harry is based on his experiences? How about Ginny as a mother?
  • Do you think the dynamics between Harry, Ron and Hermione have changed? How do they interact now?
  • In what kind of a world do you think Albus and his siblings and friends are growing up in?
  • The description of the play says,  "sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.”  Where do you think the 'darkness' lies?
Thanks to HealerOne for adding some great questions!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 10:40:02 AM by atschpe »

"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
July 16, 2016, 06:05:57 AM
Reply #1

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
What kind of father do you think Harry is based on his experiences? How about Ginny as a mother?
  I would think Harry had the potential to be a 'Broomstick Dad', i.e. like a 'Helicopter Mom', because of his upbringing, as well as all that happened to him as a youth. He could be quite protective of his children. However, in truth, I think because of his good heart and the down-to-earthness of Ginny, Harry would more likely be a father who tries to be an example to his children.  He certainly won't be a 'perfect dad' - as we know he has his faults - but mistakes or not, he will try to be the best Dad he can be.
 Ginny? I think she will be a lot like her mother. Strong and strict, but with a soft heart.

Do you think the dynamics between Harry, Ron and Hermione have changed? How do they interact now?
  I really wonder about this. I imagine that Ron & Hermione are still supportive of Harry and may be the first people he consults with when faced with a difficult situation or problem, however I can't imagine that their friendship will be as close now as it was at Hogwarts. They still maybe his best sounding board for difficult times. I would imagine that Ron & Hermione have their own problems now and may be embroiled enough in those that they can't be as involved with Harry & Ginny's problems.

In what kind of a world do you think Albus and his siblings and friends are growing up in?
  Knowing J K Rowling I would assume that the world they are facing is similar to the one we are facing - very divided and contentious. I do hope that Hogwarts has changed some of it's traditions in the wake of the war. It will have been rebuilt since the war. I wonder if they actually changed how they rebuilt it? Maybe got rid of the Chamber of Secrets and hopefully better plumbing! Maybe made it more modern? Or would it have been rebuilt very traditionally? Do you suppose the ghosts still haunt the new Hogwarts? Or are there new ghosts that are from the war? I also would wonder that communication and instant access to news and social media might have changed in the WW to keep up with the Muggle world. What do you think?

The description of the play says,  "sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.”  Where do you think the 'darkness' lies?
 Now don't guffaw at this - or do, if you like - but I have a theory that Dudder's child/children may be involved. OK, so maybe that is too far fetched! We would expect the darkness to come from Scorpius, but maybe it comes from one of the Weasley children or how about Uncle Percy? I do know this - I'm sure the plot will take many twists and surprise all of us!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:53:34 AM by HealerOne »
July 16, 2016, 03:02:25 PM
Reply #2

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
In what kind of a world do you think Albus and his siblings and friends are growing up in?
  Knowing J K Rowling I would assume that the world they are facing is similar to the one we are facing - very divided and contentious. I do hope that Hogwarts has changed some of it's traditions in the wake of the war. It will have been rebuilt since the war. I wonder if they actually changed how they rebuilt it? Maybe got rid of the Chamber of Secrets and hopefully better plumbing! Maybe made it more modern? Or would it have been rebuilt very traditionally? Do you suppose the ghosts still haunt the new Hogwarts? Or are there new ghosts that are from the war? I also would wonder that communication and instant access to news and social media might have changed in the WW to keep up with the Muggle world. What do you think?

I wonder whether the school might rebuild itself, as part of its protective spells. If so, how much say would a current headmaster, teacher or other occupants have in the matter of any changes in architecture or similar? Even if not, could the headmaster (or who ever is in charge) have enough weight to counter any voices talking about keeping up tradition? And of course the same question holds for any non-set-in-stone decisions (not the building itself) of how classes, sorting and other things are handled.

You bring up an interesting point, which is also important outside the potterverse. How much should one maintain of traditions, how can one change things for the better without forgetting? When is one an Umbridge pruning and changing and when is one truly striving for selfless improvement.

As for the Chamber and plumbing: if they can make changes, how about an indoor swimming pool? After all, flying broomsticks can't be the only sport wizards enjoy  :P

The description of the play says,  "sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.”  Where do you think the 'darkness' lies?
 Now don't guffaw at this - or do, if you like - but I have a theory that Dudder's child/children may be involved. OK, so maybe that is too far fetched! We would expect the darkness to come from Scorpio, but maybe it comes from one of the Weasley children or how about Uncle Percy? I do know this - I'm sure the plot will take many twists and surprise all of us!

Oh, I like how you're thinking. It'd be great to keep the muggle-side of things going and show how the wizarding world now reacts to muggles (whether they come from a "pureblood" spouting family or not. I agree that it will probably not be as straightforward as the title might suggest. Rowling is brilliant at throwing curve balls (or are those bludgers?).
"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
July 31, 2016, 04:29:13 AM
Reply #3

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator

Some of you may be finding this out as I type, but the book will be released here within the hour, and I will probably not be reading it for another few days.  So this is my last wild pitch of an idea before we all know the truth.  I'm wondering if the child (whom I do think will be Albus) is affected by something in addition to the curse of being a famous wizard's son.  Maybe he has a physical or mental disability, or a unique or rare wizarding gift (as Tonk's gift was metamorphmagia) that makes his life more challenging.  My guess is that this "curse" will turn out to be something of a blessing in the end.  :)

I could be totally wrong, maybe one of the children is literally cursed within the scope of the play!  :o  Have fun finding out!  I'm happy for every one of you.  :yay:

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
August 15, 2016, 05:59:10 AM
Reply #4

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
:hmm: Wasn't sure where to put this , but I thought here might be a good thread to talk about the fact that the story of Albus and Scorpius mirrors the story of James and Sirius. They both meet on the Hogwarts train and become fast friends; Sirius comes from a Pure Blood family as does Scorpius; Sirius and Albus turn away from the House they most likely should have been in (- to defy their heritage?); Albus and Sirius are adventurous kids that leads the respective pair into troubles.

I am unsure as to why JKR made this story a mirror of her original characters other than to give us an insight into the alternate reality of what could have been, had things been switched originally. What do you think? Do you see any other things that appeared mirrored in the two stories?
August 15, 2016, 12:51:35 PM
Reply #5

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
Great catch, HealerOne. Makes me think that Harry might be glad he broke that two way mirror, or Al and Scorpius might have gotten into more trouble (they have after all a couple more years to do at Hogwarts).

I think Rowling wants to show how things repeat themselves through the generations, each reprise taking on a new interpretation of the reoccuring situation. It makes me wonder if this also happens as pronounced with Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw, or if the Gryffindor-Slytherin rivalry creates the extra tension to create these strong relationships and growth.
This also brings us back to the old "what if" with Lily and Severus. Sev could have chosen Gryffindor had he not the negative Gryffindor traits through the Marauders to be on the train. Rowling seems to be commenting on the far reaching effects of a seemingly simple decision made that effects life for years to come.

As for other parallels: I was thinking of Draco/Snape. We see Draco fighting his emotions and his pureblood mania heritage, similar to Snape. They also indicate a Scorpius/Hermione mirroring. On the flipside, Delphi feels like a "new" character, as I don't see her built on any former characters.
August 16, 2016, 05:40:07 AM
Reply #6

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Delphi does indeed appear to be more a new character than based on any of the more familiar ones. There could be a case made that she is a mirror character to Bellatrix, but she just doesn't have that 'soppy feel' for her 'father', Voldy, like Bellatrix had. She's also too smooth to be like Bellatrix. Bella was always so condescending when dealing with others, but Delphi tries hard to be a 'pal' - even a 'girlfriend' to Albus. Even with Mr Diggory she seems way too nice - something that Bella never could have done!

I do think that this character is a merging of Bella and Voldy. It is interesting that she was orphaned; raised by a surrogate parent - Mrs. Knott, who was not at all sympathetic to her, and apparently kept in a cage for some time. Sort of reminds you a bit of Harry? Could she be a mirror image or distorted mirror image of Harry? One totally good; the other totally evil? Interesting ...  :hmm:
August 16, 2016, 04:50:00 PM
Reply #7

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
Reading your words, HealerOne, I also thought she could be mirroring Voldy – well Tom Riddle more like. He knew to charm people into doing what he wanted (think Slughorn, Dippet, Hepzibah, …), which seems similar to how Delphi plays Diggory, Albus and others. Makes me wonder how she thought of her father. Was she just fulfilling the prophecy or did she in a way look up to him, glorify him. Which brings me back to our topic here a bit: is she a bit like next generation youth only hearing snippets, legends and warped stories and thus glorifying figures for the wrong reasons (yes I am thinking of how neo-nazism and similar developed by the kids not getting a full picture of recent history)