December 17, 2018, 01:20:20 AM

Author Topic: Let's look at the Malfoys! SPOILERS INSIDE!  (Read 882 times)

July 31, 2016, 07:01:56 AM

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
THIS DISCUSSION CONTAINS SPOILERS!

A new generation at Hogwarts means the enrollment of a new young Malfoy. Draco arrived at Hogwarts and immediately tried to ingratiate himself with Harry and stamp his authority on his cohort. This was probably a result of the preparation he received from his father, Lucius, who would expect his son to "rule the school".

Now it is time for Scorpius, son of Draco, to make his (possibly dark) mark. Surely the name Malfoy would carry a legacy of sorts. Students would have some preconceived ideas of what young Scorpius will be like. Will he have a lot to live up to? Will he be loathed by some just because of his name or will he be accepted for who he is?

The end of Deathly Hallows showed us a glimpse of a more reserved Draco, a man who seemed unwilling to attract too much attention. Does this mean that we are going to meet a meek and mild Malfoy in Scorpius?

We would love to hear what you think about Scorpius and Draco and explore their relationship now that we so much more information.

July 31, 2016, 03:21:04 PM
Reply #1

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
Scorpius is a wonderful character and has a beautiful growth throughout the plot line. there were moments at the start where his relationship with Albus reminded me of Severus and Lily, but not so much as that it just seemed a carbon-copy.

Likewise it is great to see Draco coming into his own. The emotion and maturity, finally working side by side with Harry and his friends. And together with Harry growing as a father, discovering their vunerability and strength in their role – in a way helping them to overcome their past differences.

The plotline is beautifully woven, to show how the father son relationship can grow and strengthen both parties – and does this both with Draco and Scorpius, as well as Harry and Albus. The Draco-Scorpius relationship helps us see that whilst there are similarities in each of these relationships, the circumstances and individuals involved also create very unique relationships. The father is not only helping the son, but the son helps to shape and teach their father if the latter allows it.
"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
August 01, 2016, 01:56:28 AM
Reply #2
Honestly the mushy sap in me was hoping to see a more mature, self-aware Draco, but at the same time, not so much that he became untrue to the original character. I was pleasantly surprised to see a bit of that in all the main characters. They still had the traits that made them "them." (Draco's arrogance, still ready to isolate him, Harry's temper still getting the best of him, Ron still diffusing situations with humor and self-deprecation.) But each had a maturity that matched this character. I LOVE how JKR did that.
August 02, 2016, 01:57:53 PM
Reply #3

Rudius Hagrid

• Keeper of the Keys
  • Administrator
    • The Discussion Station
I must say I loved Scorpius' sense of humor and turn of phrase.  The character is wonderfully written with an amazing sense of humor. 

Draco's growth and development was intriguing and the way he finally found common ground with Harry and stood side by side with him actively helping in the fight against the Dark was wonderful to see.
:hagrid: Welcome to the Discussion Station!! :hagrid:
August 02, 2016, 10:31:11 PM
Reply #4

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
OK I just want to say, I thought it was brilliant that Albus chose to be friends with Scorpius. That right there is the big ball that gets the story rolling in a whole new way. It signals that freedom of choice is alive and well. That Albus is Harry Potter's son, and Scorpius has some of the attributes of his paternal Grandmother. I did indeed enjoy Scorpius' story, but even more I thought Draco's journey of maturity and shedding his schoolboy jealousy was in contrast to Snape and Sirius. Draco comes out of this as a much more rounded character which in turn allows Scorpius to move forward.

The 'adventures' of Albus and Scorpius are reminiscent of Harry and Ron, as is, their friendship. The traits of each family show in each child. We really have little to go on about Draco's wife, Astoria, or what she added to the Malfoy's genetic line - other than her "Bloodline was cursed." You know the whole maturing of Draco seems to stem from his love of Astoria (Good old 'Love-over-evil' theme).

Seems I have run out of ideas but If I get any more I will come back! Maybe you can jog my interest. Tell us what you thought was interesting about the Malfoys? No one has commented on Lucius yet. What's your take on him?
August 05, 2016, 08:29:29 PM
Reply #5

JaneMarple9

• Staffer
I really. really liked the character of Scorpius, he seemed the most pleasant of all the Malfoys. He had a hard time too, nearly as much of Albus, to live up to his surname. Scorpius seems to know right from wrong, and eager to please. The friendship between Scorpius and Albus was really good. Draco seemed to have matured a great deal during the play, the loss of his wife affected him massively. I have hopes that Draco will remain on friendly terms with Harry, Ginny, Hermione and (more improbably :D ) Ron.

"There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with a really big library"
August 06, 2016, 05:02:43 AM
Reply #6

wordsaremagic

• The Only Wizard Bob the Duck Ever Feard
  • Administrator
The only thing about Scorpius that bothered me, at least at the beginning, was the feeling that he was over compensating for the reputation of his father as a loser death eater, as though he had grown up with criticism of many people, especially many children. That would be the case if he were a muggle, going to a public school.
But in the Wizarding World, children aren't necessarily sent to school until they go to Hogwarts, meaning that they are exposed mostly to the environment created by their parents. I did not think it likely that Draco would place his son in the company of people who would talk about how badly he (Draco) had behaved to the degree that Scorpius would have developed such guilt. Some, yes, but he just seemed to be over the top.
It would be tempting to see him as a mirror image of Albus, but that doesn't quite work. Albus may have grown up wondering if he could live up to his father's life (not really an uncommon experience), but his early life before Hogwarts wouldn't have made him ashamed.
August 19, 2016, 10:43:34 PM
Reply #7

alongside

wordsaremagic, I too had the feeling that missing from the story was a natural progression into whatever stance Scorpius and Albus were to take from their earlier childhood; the boys just arrived having been shaped by overly dramatic childhood experiences given their family backgrounds. I thought that we were asked to assume too much. Perhaps the 'scrunching' into a staged format the quick progression from one year at Hogwarts into a few didn't allow for the subtle discovery of growth between characters that I had enjoyed in prose form?
While there were some nice exchanges of loyalty between Scorpius and Albus (I'm glad these two are Slytherin friends) I thought they sounded at times like two old men. At times I thought the adults spoke as kids would. When Draco and Harry decided to duel, I thought it ridiculous; they are the characters who should have been through enough of life to be able to prevent a Sirius/Severus exchange. Let's hear more from the creativity of JKRowling, less re-do of the same. I did enjoy the bonding between Draco and Harry which occurred when they discussed parenting. I thought Draco helped Harry to keep a cooler head at times, and loved Draco's admission of missing the support that still binds the Trio (& Ginny).