August 20, 2018, 11:47:52 PM

Author Topic: The Plays The Thing ... Overall Impressions SPOILERS  (Read 808 times)

August 02, 2016, 10:47:08 PM

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
The Plays The Thing ... Overall Impressions

Recently I have been doing some research about body language. One of the things under 'starting a good conversation' was how you know when you have struck the right subject about which the other person is passionate.  The body language cue is when you see this - an eyebrow raise and sometimes a smile - then you know you have hit on the right subject.

~ So having the play in hand, and read at least a bit of it (or more), at what point did that eyebrow go up and you fell into the story like 'an old shoe' - comfortable and fitting just right?

~ Have you ever read the play format before? Did you get comfortable with it, or did it seem cumbersome?

~ What passages made you gasp? Laugh? Be sad, or want to cry?

~ From the stage directions and dialog were you able to imagine what the actor's body language would be telling you? The voice changes and inflections?

~ On first Impression, did the characters ring true? How about the setting? All familiar? Or were you set down into a very unfamiliar and jarring place, time, or among unknown characters?   

~ Could you feel the influence of the Wizarding War on these characters? Which did you feel stronger - Harry's influence of good-over-evil, or Voldemort's influence about Pure Blood status and dominance over Muggles? 

~ Is there something that niggles at you brain about the story - good or bad?

August 03, 2016, 08:22:28 AM
Reply #1

paint it Black

• Notorious Mass Murderer OR Innocent Singing Sensation
  • Forum Moderator

Off the top of my head, I can remember two things that made me laugh.  One was the impostor "Ron" telling Hermione that he wanted to have another baby.  :ronhermionehug:

The best one though was Umbridge telling Scorpius that he was ruining "Voldemort Day".  :lol: Can you imagine?  I'm picturing schoolchildren cutting out paper chains of little Voldemort heads for decorating their classroom.
 :voldemort: :voldemort: :voldemort: :voldemort: :voldemort: And Dark Mark cupcakes. :darkmark: :cook: :darkmark: Yippee, it's Voldemort Day!  :stars:

On a slightly more serious note, what day of the year do you think IS Voldemort Day in this universe?  At first I thought it was the day of the second task, since that's the day when the boys time-traveled; this would indicate perhaps that Harry had died in the graveyard.  But the boys would not necessarily return to the anniversary of that day in the present. Also, Umbridge mentions that Harry died in the Battle of Hogwarts, though she does not seem to be indicating that the current day is the anniversary of that day, May 2nd....   :hmm:

Cuppa is discussing Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.  Please join us!
August 05, 2016, 08:39:55 PM
Reply #2

JaneMarple9

• Staffer
Before I begin, if there WAS  a Voldemort's Day, I'd imagine it on December 31st, Voldemort's/Tom Riddle Junior's birthday. Very possible that he'd consider the date of the third task (when he was reborn with blood flesh and bone) his birth-day.
I know I gasped when Delphi was revealed to be Voldemort's and Bellatrix's daughter. It was a really unexpected twist. I also gasped at the ingenuity, when Harry's old blanket was able to be useful, and receive a important message.
Ron was more like "movie Ron" for me, in the play. He played a far more comic role than he did in the original seven books.

"There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with a really big library"
August 06, 2016, 12:04:25 PM
Reply #3

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
Voldemort day could also be his "winning" the battle of hogwarts. Would he even acknowledge his birthday, seeing it spoke of him having a muggle father and a mother who did not want to live for her son?

Yes, I loved the blanket was a great device. And as things lead up to it, a smile crept over my lips as I started to see where things were going. Maybe not as well hidden as other devices were in previous books. The blanket and love potion incident was a bit too spotlighted, so as to not think of it further.

What got a big "wow" from me was when Harry went over board in telling Albus not to see his friend again. Ok this is a parallel universe, so the Harry is somewhat different, but it took me a bit to realise I was gaping at the book.
"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
August 27, 2016, 11:26:26 PM
Reply #4

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
My first impressions

~ Is there something that niggles at you brain about the story - good or bad?
I have to start by saying this: My first encounter with this story was the play, and as a play it is a wonderful story, quite in par with the rest of the HP experience. I (and seemingly everyone else in the theatre) truly, deeply, enjoyed the entertainment. It is a wonderful world to behold and a plot that lend itself well to the theatrical experience. It was incredibly moving to see (parts of) the epilogue come to life as well as some of the other looks back on a history that we all know very well (and a good deal better than Jack Thorne it seems...    :P ) In fact, while seeing it, the whole two part, four act thing, was fantastic. Period.

But... even in the first interval some things started to nag at me. Hey... there's something here that doesn't tally all that well with the HP story as I know it.... After Voldemort time, I was getting a bit annoyed by parts of the plot. And this, actually, is the feeling that is growing on me more and more. (I still love the play, though, just not some aspects of the plot.)

I made an attempt to login here from my mobile/cell phone as I came back to the hotel after the show, but unfortunately I mistyped my password enough times to lock myself out... But already then I had some major objections to the plot, that I longed to discuss with you:

* In my opinion it contradicts the definitions from both book and film POA on how Time Turners work.  >:(

* Turning bright, loyal, just Cedric into a Death Eater - that's sooo uncool!  :annoyed:

* Claiming that no one had killed Nagini if Neville hadn't is also a bit of a stretch if we play by BOOK canon, I think.  :mcgonagall2:

* Harry's parents were in hiding in Godric's Hollow! They didn't move around outside with their baby, they're hiding inside under the Fidelius Charm. We know that James used to sneak out under his cloak, but once he lent it to Dumbledore  he had to stay inside too.  :(

* And how exactly is Albus and Scorpius supposed to have got hold of the blanket to write anything on it while the family is still alive and well, hiding under the Fidelius Charm?? Even if we accept that Lily takes her baby for a stroll, how do they get hold of the blanket, type on it and give it back without James and Lily noticing?? :what: Albus and Scorpius haven't heard Peter telling them where the Potters were... this is not only illogical it also contradicts what we know about that Charm too...     >:(

* If Cedric had not finished the lake task and not been where he was in the maze, then Harry might not have got the scores he needed to win either... This is conveniently overlooked along with other things...  :(
I could go on but I guess this was pretty much what vexed me immediately after seeing it....

So, basically... If this was not an official 8th story, I would love it unreserved. As a play, you can overlook these things and be entertained for the moment, but as a the 8th story... I wish it was more consistent with the main 7 HP books!  :hermioneread:

~ Have you ever read the play format before? Did you get comfortable with it, or did it seem cumbersome?

Yes, I have, several times. I don't have a problem with it, but it sure isn't a novel!

The entire play... There are (very) slight changes between the play as I saw it and this pre-view script book. One of my favourite lines from the play, given the context in which it is said and the complete absurdity that foregoes it... is not in this script!  :o (Thankfully I decided to check that it was, before mentioning it in my previous post here, and upon not finding it, I realised I had to read the script too before diving in here.)

~ From the stage directions and dialog were you able to imagine what the actor's body language would be telling you? The voice changes and inflections?
I do think the play is funnier (more comical) than the script, so either it has more humour added or it is the way the lines are delivered... Not sure there, actually?

~ On first Impression, did the characters ring true? How about the setting? All familiar? Or were you set down into a very unfamiliar and jarring place, time, or among unknown characters? 
I think most of the characters ring true, my main reservations are Harry and to a smaller extent sometimes Albus. Although the latter might be because I've seen him differently in my head, so I might have an issue with that...  ???

On the other hand I really, really liked nerdy Scorpius. Insecure, well read, awkward, brilliant... And despite his low pecking order in the "real" world, determined to undo all damages he'd helped create, despite finding himself in a world where he is on top of the food chain. How did this boy, hiding true courage within, who show almost no ambition and wait until his fourth year before allowing his best friend to drag him into serious trouble... ever get sorted into Slytherin in the first place???

Off the top of my head, I can remember two things that made me laugh.  One was the impostor "Ron" telling Hermione that he wanted to have another baby.  :ronhermionehug:
I just love that whole scene, both in play and book, it's so exceptionally funny! I also love the young mischievous trio's panic as Hermione and Harry are coming, and in particular Albus despair at being chosen to deflect them, and why it has to be him. :fredgeorge:

On a slightly more serious note, what day of the year do you think IS Voldemort Day in this universe?  At first I thought it was the day of the second task, since that's the day when the boys time-traveled; this would indicate perhaps that Harry had died in the graveyard.  But the boys would not necessarily return to the anniversary of that day in the present. Also, Umbridge mentions that Harry died in the Battle of Hogwarts, though she does not seem to be indicating that the current day is the anniversary of that day, May 2nd....   :hmm:
My initial guess would be the anniversary of the day Voldemort took over the world.

However, I think we know the rough location of that day on the year. It must be the same day Albus and Scorpius Time-Travel for the second time, because they return to their own time (in some sense) after just 5 minutes. And... while we don't know exactly what day they go off on these adventures, we do know that they start their mischief on 1 September (escaping from the Hogwarts Express). I don't think many weeks passes before this second Time-Travelling excursion, so it can't be 2 May. In fact, we know it's before Hallow's Eve, as Hallow's Eve in "present time" occurs when the boys are together in Godric's Hollow in 1981, much later.

I know I gasped when Delphi was revealed to be Voldemort's and Bellatrix's daughter. It was a really unexpected twist.
Yeah, I definitely didn't see that one coming either! I thought she was the third member of Albus' take on a trio, a maybe-not-that-bright female friend he could count on for friendship at least, if not for advices. If anything, I thought she might be related to Tonks.... :tonks: (I guess she was, though not in the way I was expecting...) 

I also gasped at the ingenuity, when Harry's old blanket was able to be useful, and receive a important message.
Apart from the fact that I can't make the plot hold together on how the boys get hold of the blanket, writes on it and leave it with the Potters without anyone noticing, which seems like a rather big plot hole, I do love this twist as well. (Ignoring the plot hole), it makes the whole scene with this highly unwanted and weird gift  :ron: turn into brilliance and awesomeness.

Ron was more like "movie Ron" for me, in the play. He played a far more comic role than he did in the original seven books.
I don't know, I think Scorpius (whom I love) is sort of a combination of brilliant Hermione and the humorous Weasley twins who saves us all by making us laugh in the tensest of moments.

What got a big "wow" from me was when Harry went over board in telling Albus not to see his friend again. Ok this is a parallel universe, so the Harry is somewhat different, but it took me a bit to realise I was gaping at the book.

Yeah, I think it's a genius idea to let them all change slightly in this first alternate "now". The real Harry wouldn't try to separate two good friends - particularly not by such means!

However I wasn't as impressed by the supposed changed events at the Yule Ball leading to Ron falling in love with Padma - that's just ridiculous! 14 year old Ron wasn't a guy who'd fall in love with anyone on the dance floor - sorry, I'm just not buying that!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 06:40:07 AM by Evreka »
September 01, 2016, 01:16:50 AM
Reply #5

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Thank you so much Evreka for your impressions of the play particularly that it was funnier than it reads and that there are lines added that are not in this version. It must have been an amazing experience. This makes me very happy that I have decided to get the 'Definitive edition' of the play. It will be interesting to see the changes that were made.

I'm going to have to re-read the play again to try and figure out the plot points that you point out as being a problem; especially the blanket and the way the time-turner works. I thought that was explained as the two time-turners used in this time frame were newer 'improved' models of the magical items and therefore wouldn't work the same as the time-turner Hermione used.

The whole time interference line is difficult for me to fathom, but as I saw it - each time the boys interfered with the time line - we then saw what that interference did to the future. So the changes we saw like Harry ordering Albus not to see Scorpio or Cedric becoming a Death Eater (Remember that Sirius's brother Regulus was lured into the Death Eaters but soon found out it wasn't for him) isn't that far out of the realm of possibilities ( MHO).