December 13, 2017, 01:01:07 PM

Author Topic: What if Frank had escaped?  (Read 386 times)

August 24, 2016, 03:10:32 PM

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
Hi, it's been a long time since I was last here...

I was listening to Chapter 1 again yesterday and wondered what would have happened if Frank had not been killed and managed to make a police report :tardis: about Voldemort :voldemort:.

The please-men police officers obviously won't be able to arrest Voldemort and Wormtail , not that locking them up in a Muggle jail would confine them anyway.

They might be able to track Harry :harry: down based on his school records. Their initial plan might be to protect him from this murderer after him, but would they then discover how he had been abused by the Dursleys and try to put him in foster care? Harry might request to go live with the Weasleys :harryginny: :mollyarthur:  :fredgeorge: :ron: without revealing they are a magical family, but if he went through with it, he would no longer be protected by Lily's charm. (This was before Voldemort took his blood, and even after that Dumbledore wanted Harry to go back to the Dursleys' during the summer to ensure the charm continued.)

How much would have changed?

August 24, 2016, 10:09:36 PM
Reply #1

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I think the boring answer is that the polices would have gone mysteriously missing (ie killed) instead of Frank. Or else had their memories wiped. And even if they didn't how could they possibly track Harry? Surely "our" Harry isn't the only Harry Potter (name wise) in the UK?
August 25, 2016, 03:33:37 PM
Reply #2

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
If Frank managed to tell the police that a boy called Harry Potter was being targeted and those records weren't destroyed somehow, the police could go through school registers for boys by that name. No guarantee they would find the correct Harry Potter but there's a chance they could track him down that way.
August 25, 2016, 07:48:00 PM
Reply #3

roonwit

The first question is whether Frank would actually have gone to the police, and if he did would he have been believed. Frank has a bad history with the police, and the police might be sceptical of his story. If the police did investigate, they might find the house empty (if Frank was spotted and someone escaped being killed), or be killed as Frank was. I don't think the muggle police are any threat to Voldemort and Wormtail, but the real problem for them would be if they did try to trace Harry and it came to the attention of the magical community - which is possible as the Ministry may well have ways to detect things related to magic that they might have to act upon, such as people placed in the police force - because the last thing Voldemort wants is to alert the Ministry and Dumbledore to his attempts to return.
August 28, 2016, 07:52:53 AM
Reply #4

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
Wanted to add to my previous reply that a red flag in our Harry's school records would be that he disappeared from the Muggle system after graduating from primary school to go to Hogwarts. That might set him apart from any other Harry Potter who was underage. If he had supportive Muggle family like Hermione and Dean, the family would be able to tell anyone who came knocking a believable cover story (e.g. they are in a boarding school in another country) and agree to any precautions the police would suggest. However, if anyone from the authorities came looking for the Dursleys, they might discover many strange things, like Harry being not in ANY photo in their living room, Dudley being many times fatter than Harry (if he did appear) and so on and try to put Harry into foster care.

The first question is whether Frank would actually have gone to the police, and if he did would he have been believed. Frank has a bad history with the police, and the police might be sceptical of his story. If the police did investigate, they might find the house empty (if Frank was spotted and someone escaped being killed), or be killed as Frank was. I don't think the muggle police are any threat to Voldemort and Wormtail, but the real problem for them would be if they did try to trace Harry and it came to the attention of the magical community - which is possible as the Ministry may well have ways to detect things related to magic that they might have to act upon, such as people placed in the police force - because the last thing Voldemort wants is to alert the Ministry and Dumbledore to his attempts to return.

In the book it seems that Frank had every intention of going to the police, but as you say, the police might not believe him.

And if the Muggle police's investigations did come to the attention of the Ministry and they realised something Dark was up... Frank would be a hero who did far more than he knew.
September 01, 2016, 01:27:48 AM
Reply #5

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
An interesting proposition - Frank actually reporting to the police what he overheard. I myself would have a hard time thinking the police would believe him. If the authorities would have shown up at the old Riddle house, Voldemort could have done a dozen things to wipe away any memory of them being there.  Remember that Frank's troubles happened because of the deaths of the Riddles, so if he showed up at the police station with this wild story of overhearing at the Riddle House a man talking to a snake and targeting a boy named Harry Potter - well I highly doubt they would pursue it too far.   They would just think he had finally 'gone round the bend.' That's my humble opinion.