January 24, 2018, 09:22:14 AM

Author Topic: Let's get to know Newt  (Read 379 times)

November 07, 2016, 10:20:39 AM

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
Newton Artemis Fido (Newt) Scamander – Magizoologist, Order of Merlin, Second Class. For many years Newt was seen as the leading authority on magically fantastic beasts. His definitive text “Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them” is said to be in every wizarding household being a much used resource for ridding homes and gardens all through the magical world of some very nasty pests.

Very little else has been found about Newt (apart from the fact that his grandson Rolf married Luna Lovegood and that as a seven year old he spent countless hours dismembering Horklumps) until now when his story finally came to light. And boy, has it come to light!!!!

His travels across five continents visiting lairs, burrows and nests to observe the curious habits of magical beasts are legendary and he grasped the opportunity to give up his lowly Ministry of Magic job to delve into the world of the most amazing beasts.

J K Rowling has said “My heroes are always people who feel themselves to be set apart, stigmatised or othered”.  Newt has certainly placed himself as an outsider by arriving in New York, battered and rascally suitcase in tow, and seeming to question the American Wizarding society and the way they treat non-magical people.

Newt certainly looks like he will be ruffling some feathers in these new adventures and we can hardly wait.

So, what are your thoughts on Newt?

What do you think sets Newt apart from the rest?

We know how JKR loves to leave clues in the name. Do you think there is more in his other than the references to animals?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 07:30:30 PM by RiverSpirit »

November 08, 2016, 08:35:58 AM
Reply #1

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
As soon as I read his full name my eye was drawn to "Newton" – it immediately brought Isaac Newton to mind and with it a sense that Newt has a scientific backing but also a mystic interest (Newton having explored Alchemy, too). It feels like calling Scamander "Newt" in day to day life seems to hide this underlying interest just as Newton's work on Alchemy was ignored and still is to a great degree. Could this be what makes Newt so set-apart and "other"ly?
November 10, 2016, 03:42:17 PM
Reply #2

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Newton Artemis Fido (Newt) Scamander - Hmm just looking at his middle names of Artemis: Artemis was the Greek goddess of the moon and hunting, the twin of Apollo and the daughter of Zeus and Leto; And Fido: The University of Notre Dame Latin dictionary defines Fido as "to trust, believe, confide in" and several books on the origin of names defines it as meaning "I am faithful". Of course the name Fido usually is in reference to dogs. Finally,Scamander comes from the name of a river god in Greek mythology.

So far we have this name which refers to the original scientists - an Alchemist; then a Greek Goddess of the Hunt and Moon; a faithful trusted dog; and a Greek river god. So I am betting this guy is maybe an animagus that is able to turn into a dog, and swim in a river, and turn it from to gold, while he hunts beast in the fullness of the moon! What's your guess?
November 12, 2016, 10:25:43 AM
Reply #3

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
So I am betting this guy is maybe an animagus that is able to turn into a dog, and swim in a river, and turn it from to gold, while he hunts beast in the fullness of the moon! What's your guess?

:)) Healerone, that's brilliant!

Thanks for going through the various names. There is definitely a lot of nature and Ancient wisdom indicate in his names. two referring to Greek mythology – that's striking. Before now we had more references to Roman culture (Minerva, Remus …) I think. A little hint that we are moving away from a more globalised "culture" and a more knowledge/philosophy based kind of living?

There is also quite a bit of the female/yin energy, with references to the moon and water, as well as a female goddess. Not to say he is gay or similar, but I would not be surprised that he has a softer nature, which is why he is good with animals. This might also play a role in what we discussed above about him being set apart from others.

To be honest I doubt we'll get more animaguses, as we've had quite a lot of it already – unless there is a new twist. Maybe he parallels the parseltongues in some way that he can talk to animals (a là Dr. Dolittle)?
November 12, 2016, 04:05:32 PM
Reply #4

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
To be honest I doubt we'll get more animaguses, as we've had quite a lot of it already – unless there is a new twist. Maybe he parallels the parseltongues in some way that he can talk to animals (a là Dr. Dolittle)?

Oh that  is an awesome idea. As a Magizoologist he indeed might be able to communicate with animals on a different level. That might be a special type of magic that he is privy to - sort of like Tonks' ability to change appearance. Could he actually hold conversations with animals? Or be like an 'Animal Whisperer'?

Hagrid certainly had a gift with animals, but I don't think he was able to communicate with them - rather he just studied them, and did what he thought was the best thing to make their lives better. (Remember the Blast-ended Skrewts and the blankets in their boxes, or the teddy bear for Norbert )? It appears from what we know now, that Newt has a different way of dealing with animals. It will be  fascinating to see what that is.
November 13, 2016, 10:33:43 AM
Reply #5

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
Well, I would hope Newt uses a kind understanding way, whether through communication or other means, to coax the animals into his suitcase. It would be sad to see him force them in there (a sleeping drought might be understandable). Plus he would also have to restrain them from killing each other. Again force does not seem right. Spells or continual sleeping droughts? not sure. If people can throw off an imperio I'd guess animals can too. So my hope is he has a way to do this that is forward thinking for his time and inspiring to us.
December 15, 2016, 04:29:29 PM
Reply #6

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
Having now seen the film – I have really come to love Newt. He balances softness and understanding with humour as well as very strong magical abilities. But he also gives me the feeling that his suitcase is more than a safe way to keep, study and interact with the creatures he finds. It seems to be his little world to escape to, when he needs to get away (a bit like many of us grab a book, to dip into another world so as to forget our surroundings for a bit). Could this introverted tendency have formed due to what happened with Leta Lestrange and or his expulsion? He does feel like a loner – only readily allowing creatures near him, and then people he has found he can trust.