July 21, 2018, 06:32:57 PM

Author Topic: First thoughts  (Read 1498 times)

November 15, 2016, 03:28:35 PM

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
You have just seen the film? Go on then … no need to hold back!

What did you love? … What caught you off guard? … How does it live up to the magical world as you have come to know it? …

Whether general observations or little details, hit "post" and share.

As more have seen the film we will have threads on various topics concerning the film in here.

"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
November 16, 2016, 09:36:44 PM
Reply #1

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
So, I'm just home from the first new Magical film experience in way too long a time. I must say, I enjoyed it from the start.

I think it's humorous, fun, holds lots of great magic, which comes as natural to the wizarding world as I expect it to do. I also liked the main four characters and in particular Newt. It was great to fall back into the magical world of JK Rowling and see the wonder of experiencing it for the first time reflected through Jacob's eyes. The Beasts also brought both humour and wonder to the film and I just loved the scenes inside his suitcase! [Anyone remember the bag/suitcase smiley at Leaky Lounge? I'd love it right now...   :fredgeorge: ]

I'm also happy the plot was able to surprise me as I thought the destruction scenes we've seen in trailers came from Newt's creatures - and it didn't! I also loved the fact that my perception of certain characters changed from introduction to the end of the film. It's something I've come to expect from Jo, that she hides things in plain view and gradually reveals them. And I'm happy to find them in here as well. :)

All in all I enjoyed it thoroughly from start to finish! I haven't quite made up my mind between  :owlso: and :owlse:

What do YOU think?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:38:15 PM by Evreka »
November 17, 2016, 08:21:32 AM
Reply #2

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
I also saw it yesterday evening, but needed time to digest (and it was late anyway when I got home).

I really enjoyed it as well. What struck me early on, is that they are giving themselves the time to develop – no rushing, not skipping over stuff. Here and there I wished I had taken my fantastic beasts book along to refresh my memory on all the beasites, but then I wouldn't have been able to read it in the dark theatre anyway. This info was not really missing per se. Just little me wanting to fill in some blanks to get a fuller picture as I went along.

Yes, it was a brilliant move to have Jacob come along for the ride – his reactions to the wizarding world are brilliant. Both in enabling us to see it through his eyes, comedy, depth of emotion and so on. The subtle use of the magic is awesome. It is often in the background, really making it just a part of their life. 

If you compare with the first Potter film, there is a big difference in how they incorporate the magic. We don't stop to gaze open mouthed about every magical thing. True Jacob does, whilst the cast moves on. But this does not create a halting but rather a commentary. It also feels more real (ok, ok, I know I am talking about a fictitious world), as it slots right into the muggle (no-maj) world with seamless transitions.

Finally, Reddie Remayne: I loved his work before and this movie just confirms that I really love his work. He does not need big gestures or playing the strong male to show he is the focal point. His vulnerability, emotion and light step throughout the film, even when he is saving the day, speaks louder than any superman poses.
"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
November 17, 2016, 11:36:54 AM
Reply #3

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
I just got home and I think I need to process it all first!

I love Newt. His gentle, socially-inept nature resonates with me. He is reminiscent of a few nature documentary stars with his hush tones. Jacob is marvellous. His joy in his new surroundings brought many a smile to my face.

I think I just need to sleep on it before I jump any further into the discussion.

November 18, 2016, 05:32:40 AM
Reply #4

nellythemarrow

• Here be marrows of the vegetable variety.
I really enjoyed it! For the fun factor  :owlso: ! Could possibly be  :owlse: as a stand alone film, but seeing this I trust JKR with her plot arcs and I expect we'll rewatch this film in future and will see many details and hints that we never saw this time around. It was amazing to see so much more of her world brought to life! They clearly reveled in being able to go to town with how much magic they used. Can we do spoilers here? I'm so rusty on DS now that I've lost track.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~ Gandalf, LotR
My Pottermore username is QuillStone22
November 18, 2016, 05:47:22 PM
Reply #5

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
Can we do spoilers here? I'm so rusty on DS now that I've lost track.

Yes, you can talk spoilers in there. We have divided the movie discussion into a spoilerfree-zone and this one. So feel free to talk details to your hearts content across this forum.

And I agree, it is going to be interesting to see the greater arch Rowling is spanning starting with this movie. She mentioned that it would span 19 years, which takes us to the end of the second world war (this movie taking place in 1926), so I am starting to think we'll be getting quite a bit more of Grindelwald than I first thought.
November 18, 2016, 08:46:41 PM
Reply #6

RiverSpirit

• You can count on me!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Maroon to the Bone
I could see Jo placing down the layers for what is to come. I am now madly reading the script to try to catch what I missed. Eddie Redmayne has started to develop a wonderful character but I found that he was often softly spoken and thus a little hard to hear (or maybe it was the kids behind me that made it difficult.

I was surprised after all of the controversy about Johnny Depp being in film two that he was actually in this one. Well played Warner Bros. He is not quite the dashing Grindelwold that I pictured. (I think the image I conjured was more like Westley in the Princess Bride).

I love Queenie and Jacob. They are delightful characters. But in my opinion the star was the Niffler. How wonderful is he?!  All of the beasts were magnificently created and I was so excited to see a fwooper!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 09:25:01 PM by RiverSpirit »

November 18, 2016, 09:16:37 PM
Reply #7

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
And I agree, it is going to be interesting to see the greater arch Rowling is spanning starting with this movie. She mentioned that it would span 19 years, which takes us to the end of the second world war (this movie taking place in 1926), so I am starting to think we'll be getting quite a bit more of Grindelwald than I first thought.
OOOh, has she confirmed that? How lovely. My theory was that it would end with Grindelwald's defeat in 1945, and it seems like it pretty much will, then. :)

If I hadn't such incredibly busy upcoming weeks I'd try to see it again soon. I'll see if I can find some time to do that.... Which in itself is such a home coming feeling. When have I not picked up one of Jo's magical stories and wanted to read (or watch) it again? And that's great.

... I expect we'll rewatch this film in future and will see many details and hints that we never saw this time around. ...
I'd love that to be true, although I guess it might be trickier to achieve on screen rather than page. But I'm already considering some of the dialogue on Newt's past, and wondering if it holds clues to what is yet to come.  :mcgonagall2:

I could see Jo placing down the layers for what is to come. I am now madly reading the script to try to catch what I missed. Eddie Redmayne has started to develop a wonderful but I found that he was often softly spoken and thus a little hard to hear (or maybe it was the kids behind me that made it difficult.
Oooh so the script is out? How could I have missed that?  :crabbegoyle: Now I need to squeeze getting it, into my near future somehow...
Accio Script book! Dang, didn't work...

I didn't have a trouble hearing Newt (or any of the others, as far as I recall), but I had some trouble to avoid reading the Swedish subtitles as I saw it in 3D and they kept hovering tantalisingly "near" me. Usually, on 2D films, I can skip that text line with ease when the spoken language is English. But other than that I enjoyed the 3D version (is there another?) and I especially loved to see some of his creatures (and other creatures) coming really, really "close" to me.  It felt like I could have held out my hand and touched the butterflies and other flying Beasts and some other things as well. :)

But in my opinion the star was the Niffler. How wonderful is he?!  All of the beasts were magnificently created and I was so excited to see a fwooper!
Oh, I loved him too! Such a little rascal bringing so much humour - and mayhem - in his wake. I'm not sure which of the creatures is my favourite, I liked many of them quite a lot. The Arizonian bird(?) that's set free at the end, whatever race it was, he was sooo magnificent. I loved him and Newt's interactions with him and all the other creatures. Would you believe our Swedish newspaper has a review naming him a dragon, sigh. Since when have dragons a beak?

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 09:18:39 PM by Evreka »
November 19, 2016, 03:44:12 AM
Reply #8

wordsaremagic

• The Only Wizard Bob the Duck Ever Feard
  • Administrator
There are a great many directions in which we could and should go on this.
The creatures themselves come to mind. Many of them are fairly well known to Potter fans. Others appeared in the original Comic Relief, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Some seem to be completely new; some have characteristics that, to me, seemed surprising.
The similarities and differences of American and British wizardry is interesting. The intolerance toward non-magical people by American wizardry raised some tough questions for me. How do they really handle muggle-borns (or no-maj-borns) since all contact and communication with no-maj is forbidden. I also found myself wondering about wizardry among Native Americans and how that was handled.
The Queenie-Jacob relationship was interesting. When she stepped out in the rain with her wand raised, I really wondered what she was doing with the wand. The next morning after I watched the movie, I began to suspect she may have been taking his memories in order to give them back to him some time later.
I found it interesting that Goblins and wizards seem to interact much more openly and easily in the American wizarding world that in the British wizarding world. The scene in the Speak-Easy was fun.
Those are just a few of the thoughts that came to me after I watched the film. I intend to watch several times over the next week.

November 19, 2016, 08:40:24 AM
Reply #9

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
The Queenie-Jacob relationship was interesting. When she stepped out in the rain with her wand raised, I really wondered what she was doing with the wand. The next morning after I watched the movie, I began to suspect she may have been taking his memories in order to give them back to him some time later.

That looked to me to be the same spell as Newt uses earlier to conjure up an umbrella. Her memory would be wiped (as any other) if she had let the water fall on her. All wizarding kind stayed underground/indoors  during that rain (disapparating to shelter I guess) – we see non go out, save her, with her charm-umbrella. So I don't think she was doing anything to or for him, other than offering them both a last moment together. If anything she might have hoped that this moment would linger in his memory, as he was aready wiping his memory of the magical past. And yes, later there is a glint of recognition when she enters his shop.

All great points you bring up. Care to start a thread or so on what grabs your interest first? I am sure many of us are chomping at the bit to get discussing ;)
November 19, 2016, 11:30:42 AM
Reply #10

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
Welcome back, wordsaremagic! Long time no see.  :hug: You bring up a lot of interesting points that I'll have to get back to as time is running low this day... But I think I know the answer to one of them:

It was such a sweet and tender thing.  :love:

But when you look closely at her wand, I think you'll see water sprouting upward from the tip in a controlled way, and then spreading like an almost-invisible umbrella over their heads while she kisses him. I think it was her way to say good-bye while he still remembered her.

Then again, maybe the umbrella moments - or the loving kiss(?) - did loge some memories for good, considering his wonderful cakes/buns and such...  :) I'd love a bakery where I could get a Niffler  or Erumpent shaped bun or other fun looking food!  :lol: Wouldn't you?

Also, I believe it is still raining while wizards and witches tidy up the city and repair houses, roads and what not. Although maybe they all have an umbrella or something?

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 03:03:31 PM by Evreka »
November 20, 2016, 03:48:19 PM
Reply #11

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
It's been a few days since seeing the movie. In retrospect these things stand out to me.

~The beautifully done CG of all the beasts and the 'worlds' within Newt's case. Newt's shed was so cozy and warmly welcoming - truly a magical place - starkly different from the reality of the outside world. That difference was very sharp in my mind. 

~ The relationship Newt had with his beasts was amazing. Even the most fierce were tame when he interacted with them. He was so 'tender' with them - quite different from Hagrid's relationship with beasts - a much different level.

~  This initial story was full of clues as to what has gone on in the past (The whole story of  the photo Newt kept of a LaStrange girl?) and then the forward hints as to what will go on in the future (Gellert's influence in the New world? Where will Newt travel next? Will Jacob and Queenie get together?) You can certainly see this was a 'setup' film for much more to come even though this does stand alone.

~ Overall - I relished the film and want to see it again and again, just to be part of the magical world.
November 20, 2016, 10:52:41 PM
Reply #12

Birthday Twins

• Distracted By Shiny Objects
  • Forum Moderator
I really loved it! It felt like it was 2007 again!  :love:

I truly adored Newt, the beasts, Tina and Queenie, Jacob. I feel the niffler is my spirit animal, lol.

And of course, Jo's beautiful layered plot complete with full backstory and commentary. It feels like old times again! I haven't had so much fun at a film in a while. 

Credence and his ultimate fate were both disturbing and sad. I think it says a lot about the damage we can do to ourselves when we hold in our emotions/pain/power. Eventually, we become a destructive force to ourselves and everyone around us. In addition, he became another powerful beast just like the kind Newt studies and cares for. Misunderstood, persecuted, destroyed out of fear. Jo always has amazing things to say with the parallels she draws.

Also, Ezra Miller did a really incredible job with the physicality of his acting in the role. The same can be said for Eddie Redmayne, it took me half the film to realize what was niggling at me every time I saw him. He rarely makes eye contact with others, he is usually looking to one side or down. Really good acting, his physical language is very spot on (I remember him mentioning he adapted Newt's walk out of the idea that the quietest way to walk around animals is side stepping) and he is so gentle with the beasts. Excellent characterization.

So yeah, I'm sure when I get my mind on straight I'll be able to express it better, but I really enjoyed it! :) Didn't expect so much Grindelwald, but I did manage to cotton on before the reveal so I didn't feel too lost, lol.  :jester:
November 21, 2016, 02:42:21 AM
Reply #13

ss19

• DS's resident Clever Clogs
  • Administrator
I saw the movie in 2D on Friday and loved being back in the magical world again!

Someone else mentioned this, and I too thought Newt was soft-spoken which in combination with his British accent meant I couldn't catch what he said in a couple of places.  But most of the time it was fine.  I would love to watch it again, though, regardless.  I'm sure I've missed a lot of the little details and would love to catch more of them the second time around.

I loved both Newt and Jacob! Having Jacob among the wizards and seeing him experience magic for the first time reminded me of when Hagrid brought Harry into the magical world for the first time!

I grew so fond of the term "Muggles" that I can't seem to get used to calling them "No-Maj".

The beasts were great.  My sister said the movie reminded her of a Pokemon movie with all the different beasts!  I loved the thunderbird in particular.  Newt said he wants to bring him back to Arizona.  I hope that means we'll get to see Arizona in one of the later films.  I live on the east coast now but I spent the second half of my childhood in Arizona and would love to see part of this movie series set there.

Didn't expect so much Grindelwald, but I did manage to cotton on before the reveal so I didn't feel too lost, lol.  :jester:

That is impressive!  I didn't suspect it at all!
November 21, 2016, 04:53:01 PM
Reply #14

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
You know with Graves/Grindelwald, I found myself really looking at him a few times. When he gave Credence the Hallow's pendent my mind was already half way there making the connection. Add the whole prophecy he keeps going on about.
But I had heard about Depp being cast for Grindelwald for the second movie, so I made the connection somewhere I think with a "not-yet" tag attached. So I was not really surprised when Newt cast his spell, but was thinking "wait, we're still in the first movie!".

Post Merge: November 22, 2016, 09:57:49 AM
The same can be said for Eddie Redmayne, it took me half the film to realize what was niggling at me every time I saw him. He rarely makes eye contact with others, he is usually looking to one side or down. Really good acting, his physical language is very spot on (I remember him mentioning he adapted Newt's walk out of the idea that the quietest way to walk around animals is side stepping) and he is so gentle with the beasts. Excellent characterization.

Ony put two and two together after I was away from the computer – so coming back to your observation now. If I recall correctly many animals interpret direct eye contact, especially when it is long, as rude or even a challenge. What's more think of how the Hippogriff dislikes people who blink. Eddie Redmayne's Newt seems to treat the people around him just like he treats animals: with care, softly, non-confrontational.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:57:49 AM by atschpe »
November 22, 2016, 08:12:46 PM
Reply #15

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
The same can be said for Eddie Redmayne, it took me half the film to realize what was niggling at me every time I saw him. He rarely makes eye contact with others, he is usually looking to one side or down. Really good acting, his physical language is very spot on (I remember him mentioning he adapted Newt's walk out of the idea that the quietest way to walk around animals is side stepping) and he is so gentle with the beasts. Excellent characterization.
Ony put two and two together after I was away from the computer – so coming back to your observation now. If I recall correctly many animals interpret direct eye contact, especially when it is long, as rude or even a challenge. What's more think of how the Hippogriff dislikes people who blink. Eddie Redmayne's Newt seems to treat the people around him just like he treats animals: with care, softly, non-confrontational.
What an interesting observation!  :thumbup: I wonder if this was something Eddie picked up in his understudies with animals in preparation for Newt or if it's Jo's or Yate's idea? Does he behave the same in the script (I still haven't got hold of a copy)?

I had another thought, when I saw Birtday Twins' post. Another possibility might be that Newt is more comfortable around animals than people, and so behaves a wee bit oddly and awkward around people. His line at one point (quoting from memory) approximately They [his beasts] are alone among the most vicious creatures on the planet - humans seem to suggest that he isn't all that happy over his fellow humans (in a general sense).

And I wonder over his past, where did that comment stem from? What happened at Hogwarts or  elsewhere to give him that dark outlook on humanity?

Do you think we'll see flashback scenes of past events in some later film, going back to his roots explaining what happened at Hogwarts, with Lita and/or how he lost his faith in humans?
November 26, 2016, 01:19:31 PM
Reply #16

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
Do you think we'll see flashback scenes of past events in some later film, going back to his roots explaining what happened at Hogwarts, with Lita and/or how he lost his faith in humans?

Hmmm … flashback scenes probably means pensieve, which has already been used extensively. I would hope that we get the information through conversations or similar, to keep it original. Plus, it could provide more emotion and understanding if he gives little insights here and there, rather than uncorckign a flask of memories. It seems to be very personal, even painful, to recall for him. So, it would be natural for him to slowly talk about it – a little here, a little there.
November 26, 2016, 03:53:47 PM
Reply #17

wordsaremagic

• The Only Wizard Bob the Duck Ever Feard
  • Administrator
And I wonder over his past, where did that comment stem from? What happened at Hogwarts or  elsewhere to give him that dark outlook on humanity?

I think Newt is right. Humans are far more dangerous, both to each other and to animals. You are far more likely to be attacked by a human than by an animal. Generally animals won't attack a human unless very frightened or provoked. Even predators would rather attack something other than a human if they are able. The greatest animal danger to humans is probably insect-carried diseases.
Humans can be pretty cruel to each other. Mark Twain used to curse the "damned human race."
On a personal level, it doesn't take more that a couple of betrayals to make a person bitter.
I get the feeling that Newt, already somewhat shy, has had some bad experiences. Those things can take time and friendship to overcome.
November 28, 2016, 02:06:19 PM
Reply #18

Hermione P

• My Tumblr page
I saw it in 3D IMAX on the opening weekend and it was fantastic. Things were zooming out of the screen.

A couple of replies to Evreka: Yes, the trailer made everyone think the wrecked house at the beginning was caused by one of the escaped beasts, but that actually happened before Newt even disembarked. And the script book explains certain things that couldn't translate onto the silver screen.
November 28, 2016, 10:28:51 PM
Reply #19

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
Hi Hermione P. I saw it in 3D too (as I had no other choice seeing I refuse to see the dubbed versions here in Germany). I agree that the 3D effect was used well. And yes, they sure played some tricks on us leading up to the movie release. Misguiding in trailers is common practice, but the Grindelwald stunt really caught us off guard.

I just found this interesting article. Whilst I do not agree with the writer that Voldemorts legilimency skills would equal Queenie's, he does bring up a good point about the power it has and how her character shows this. She did have me wriggling in my seat, that she would so openly use her skill without reigning it in much. Yes, she is good and does not seek to harm, but the intrusion on privacy did make me wonder at her character.