December 14, 2018, 03:40:32 PM

Author Topic: First thoughts  (Read 1871 times)

November 29, 2016, 12:09:17 AM
Reply #20

roonwit

I just found this interesting article. Whilst I do not agree with the writer that Voldemorts legilimency skills would equal Queenie's, he does bring up a good point about the power it has and how her character shows this. She did have me wriggling in my seat, that she would so openly use her skill without reigning it in much. Yes, she is good and does not seek to harm, but the intrusion on privacy did make me wonder at her character.
Queenie's skills are pretty impressive, particularly when she heard Tina in distress, probably from a few floors away. I think she does hide her skills normally for example the person who was going to obliviate Jacob seemed surprised at her knowledge. She started obviously reading Jacob's mind when he was ill and perhaps unable or too embarrassed to say things himself. I imagine that Queenie hears people's thoughts almost like an overheard conversation, so she may not be able to shut it off completely.
November 29, 2016, 10:15:08 AM
Reply #21

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
I just found this interesting article. Whilst I do not agree with the writer that Voldemorts legilimency skills would equal Queenie's, he does bring up a good point about the power it has and how her character shows this. She did have me wriggling in my seat, that she would so openly use her skill without reigning it in much. Yes, she is good and does not seek to harm, but the intrusion on privacy did make me wonder at her character.
Queenie's skills are pretty impressive, particularly when she heard Tina in distress, probably from a few floors away. I think she does hide her skills normally for example the person who was going to obliviate Jacob seemed surprised at her knowledge. She started obviously reading Jacob's mind when he was ill and perhaps unable or too embarrassed to say things himself. I imagine that Queenie hears people's thoughts almost like an overheard conversation, so she may not be able to shut it off completely.

I agree that she does seem to (try to) hold it back at times. But I have the feeling that curiosity does get the better of her. She reminds me of people who don't (want to) shut off from their skills. Like a psychiatrist who will sit in the coffee shop commenting unasked on people around them as to their psychological make up. As a trained musician I can go to a concert and enjoy the music, or go and dissect interpretative choices, posture and technique. It is my choice where I put my focus, and being so thoroughly trained I really had to learn how to ignore going into full-musician-mode all the time.

Some sense her when she is taking a peak. I think both her sister and Newt ask her to stop at some point in the film. But she does not have the control to do so. On the one hand it makes her endearing and caring, on the other I sense a lack of people skills. You could even say, that it is due to such behavior that magical people are not/less trusted in the muggle/no-maj world. Even if her skills are not common.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 10:17:31 AM by atschpe »
"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
November 30, 2016, 08:54:41 PM
Reply #22

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
~ The relationship Newt had with his beasts was amazing. Even the most fierce were tame when he interacted with them. He was so 'tender' with them - quite different from Hagrid's relationship with beasts - a much different level.
Hagrid seems more like a person who wants to study beasts/animals and have a great understanding of the different species, well apart from their level of dangerousness at least.  :hagrid: He is eager to know them in freedom and as his pets.

Whereas Newt knows his Beasts on a more individual level and appear to be behaving as one of them, caring for each one as if they were his friends. That makes for quite a different relationship. And it's well portrayed in the film, I think.

~The beautifully done CG of all the beasts and the 'worlds' within Newt's case. Newt's shed was so cozy and warmly welcoming - truly a magical place - starkly different from the reality of the outside world. That difference was very sharp in my mind. 
I think this ties in well with Newts comment on how he thinks humans are more vicious than Beasts, this world in a case is all his creation, filled with wonders. As opposed to the real world in which an Obscurus is wrecking the world apart.

The creatures themselves come to mind. ... Some seem to be completely new; some have characteristics that, to me, seemed surprising.
Did any of you understand why the Swooping Evil is named thus? How was it supposed to be evil? In the plot it helped rather than wrecked any havoc as far as I remember?  :crabbegoyle:

One thing that didn't seem to really fit seamless was the "baby" that got loose and would grow or shrink to fill any available space. It's well shown outside his case - but what about inside it? Why doesn't these babies fill the entire case's inside or at least their habitat part of it? Inside the case they are all quite small despite there being plenty of space. How does this work?  :mcgonagall2:

As usual time is running away from me....

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:56:32 PM by Evreka »
November 30, 2016, 11:11:24 PM
Reply #23

roonwit

Did any of you understand why the Swooping Evil is named thus? How was it supposed to be evil? In the plot it helped rather than wrecked any havoc as far as I remember?  :crabbegoyle:
I assume it is related to Newt's order to it "LEAVE HIS BRAINS." when it its proboscis in an Auror's ear during the escape from the Death Cell. I assume it can at least wipe memories as its venom wipes some memories even when greatly diluted,
One thing that didn't seem to really fit seamless was the "baby" that got loose and would grow or shrink to fill any available space. It's well shown outside his case - but what about inside it? Why doesn't these babies fill the entire case's inside or at least their habitat part of it? Inside the case they are all quite small despite there being plenty of space. How does this work?  :mcgonagall2:
The occamy nest was a partially enclosed area, which means it may be happy with its normal size there. What did however puzzle me is how the occamy egg left on the bank bench got out of the case.
December 01, 2016, 09:10:20 PM
Reply #24

Evreka

• Quibbling Queen
  • Administrator
    • Try & Trix
I assume it is related to Newt's order to it "LEAVE HIS BRAINS." when it its proboscis in an Auror's ear during the escape from the Death Cell. I assume it can at least wipe memories as its venom wipes some memories even when greatly diluted,
Uh-oh, yeah that seems a bit ominous. But on the other hand I read someone say, that the memories the diluted venom wipes out are the bad ones... Still, you're right, any mixing with your brain seem less than good.

The occamy nest was a partially enclosed area, which means it may be happy with its normal size there. What did however puzzle me is how the occamy egg left on the bank bench got out of the case.
Yes but the babies do not fill ALL space available to them even if you look at the enclosure, there are plenty of space between them. Maybe they don't grow too close to each other?

On a side note, I've seen so many different spellings of the girl Newt befriended in school that i looked it up on imdb and they list her as Leta Lestrange.

For a Swede this is a most contradictory name, and yet very appropriate, as:
Leta sound exactly like our verb "[att] lita" = [to] trust : And somehow I currently don't....
whereas it is spelled exactly like our verb
"[att] leta" = [to] search : And that's something they need(ed) to do to find the missing Beasts  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 06:19:44 AM by Evreka »
December 04, 2016, 09:58:46 AM
Reply #25

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
On a side note, I've seen so many different spellings of the girl Newt befriended in school that i looked it up on imdb and they list her as Leta Lestrange.

For a Swede this is a most contradictory name, and yet very appropriate, as:
Leta sound exactly like our verb "[att] lita" = [to] trust : And somehow I currently don't....
whereas it is spelled exactly like our verb
"[att] leta" = [to] search : And that's something they need(ed) to do to find the missing Beasts  :))

Oooooh, I love that. Now put it together with the surname. Trust the enstranged … search the enstranged … something to take to the name thread and dissect more in detail?
"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)