July 21, 2018, 06:34:15 PM

Author Topic: Magical Beasts vs. Real World Beasts  (Read 404 times)

November 17, 2016, 08:50:16 AM

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
Rowling has hinted at how the story line reflects current affairs. Whilst I did not see her list what she is referring to, I would say we are looking at divisions by fear (magical vs. non-magical // race, religious, political division) as one of the main themes that comment on what we are currently seeing around the world. How do you feel  the film works with this? Does it suggest or inspire solutions?

The whole obscurus concept also seems to be parallel for me. We have a child (or in this case teenager) becoming a beast, due to suppressed magic and emotions. this strongly reminds me of teens running amok, or young, barely adults being trained as suicide bombers. It is a commentary on how suppressing or hiding knowledge, emotion, differences, creates imbalance and worse. How did you see this?

Are there other things you noticed in the film that is a commentary on our world?

"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
November 20, 2016, 04:07:35 PM
Reply #1

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
One of the themes i was impressed with was how beast are misunderstood and how they can form a relationship with man and thereby help mankind. I think this also could be true of the environmental problems we are plagued with today. Instead of destroying nature we need to learn more about it and make alliances with it.
November 22, 2016, 10:04:05 AM
Reply #2

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
I fully agree HealerOne. There is a subtle commentary on how imbalances cause problems – whether we are talking about imbalance in nature, between cultures (magical/non~), emotions, people and animals etc. And Newt seems to be standing right in the middle of it all, trying to recreate that balance in his soft way. I just commented on Birthday twins observation about how Redmayne portrays Newt. This supports the notion I am getting that his hero's role (hero's journey even?) is to try and create balance through understanding rather than force.
"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)