December 14, 2018, 03:39:30 PM

Author Topic: The Name game  (Read 556 times)

November 22, 2016, 12:50:21 PM

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
We all know how Rowling loves use names to shape a character. And she has just given us a bunch of new ones just ready to look at closer. IN the spoiler-free area we have already looked a bit at Newt's name – but by all means you can dive in even deeper here, now we know a bit more about him. But let's also look at other names.

For example: Credence Barebone
In Latin, credere means to trust or to believe. Credentia meant belief, and from that word comes our word credence, with the same meaning.
This is but one of many out there, but it leads us right to the heart I think. He seeks trust and to function he should believe in himself. But that negated by Mary Lou wanting to suppress those like him. But on the flip side, could it be the strength of belief or hope in a better time to come that allowed him to survive this long?

Barebone: To me this implies a nakedness, no place to hide or seek shelter. He is out there alone with no support. Thinking in homophons he has to "bear" the situation he is in.

Do you spot anything else hidden in Credence' name, that could give us further insight into his character or similar?

Any other names that jump out for you that you want to place under the microscope?

"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
December 21, 2016, 05:10:45 PM
Reply #1

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
So I did a little poking round  ;) and found some interesting things out. I guess I will start with the No-maj, Jacob Kowalski - the name is broken down to mean a person From Kowal, Poland. Kowal is translated as 'coal' and is associated with blacksmiths. Interesting side to the name - in the USA 50% of sausage factories are owned by Poles with names of Kowalski! It is the second most common Polish name. It is often the name given to 'blue-collar/grunt types'. Thus our No-Maj is basically like an everyman. The first name of Jacob is Hebrew and is translated to mean 'Holder of the heel'. This refers to the birth of twins where the second twin - Jacob - comes out holding onto the heel of the first child.   

Madame Seraphina Picquery - Seraphina derives from an order of Angels - the 'fiery ones' - Angels with six wings. Has also come to mean "Princess of Angels", i.e. "The first part sounds like 'Sarah', which means princess, and it is derived from Seraphim, which is a kind of angel." The last name of Picquery has an unknown origin but we know she shares a last name with Lucas Picquery  who was a beater for the USA National Quidditch team who lost to Brazil in the World Cup semi-final in 2014. I guess we could divide the name into PIC meaning 'picture', and Query meaning 'search'. Anyone else find any information on this name? 

That's all I had time to research but I'm sure others of you can find some interesting information about names when they have time.  8)

December 21, 2016, 07:27:55 PM
Reply #2

atschpe

• April's Fool
  • Administrator
So I did a little poking round  ;) and found some interesting things out. I guess I will start with the No-maj, Jacob Kowalski - the name is broken down to mean a person From Kowal, Poland. Kowal is translated as 'coal' and is associated with blacksmiths. Interesting side to the name - in the USA 50% of sausage factories are owned by Poles with names of Kowalski! It is the second most common Polish name. It is often the name given to 'blue-collar/grunt types'. Thus our No-Maj is basically like an everyman. The first name of Jacob is Hebrew and is translated to mean 'Holder of the heel'. This refers to the birth of twins where the second twin - Jacob - comes out holding onto the heel of the first child.

Well, he sure seems to be holding on to the Magical world, coming along for the ride. But digging a bit further into the Biblical stroy: Jacob becomes the Patriach of the Israelites. So could Jacob Kowalski be heralding a new era in the magical/non-maj relationships. Afterall Queenie's interest in him and even her actions after he loses his memories, speak of breeching the Magical-American law that they should not be together. Following this further: "Jacob" is considered  a Jewish name, where as the James (also considered to derive from the Hebrew root Jacov) is Christian. And then we have Queenie Goldstein – her surname also feeling very Jewish. Is Rowling hinting at a new bloodline, i.e. a mingling or magical with non-magical in the future?

Considering Jacob's surname:  this is pre-World-War II, his ancestors would have been part of the first wave of Polish immigrants who came to the US. And what a surprise! They were refered to as za chlebem (for bread) due to their poverty … and what does Jacob want to do above all? Start a bakery. Rowling really knows her stuff!

Madame Seraphina Picquery - Seraphina derives from an order of Angels - the 'fiery ones' - Angels with six wings. Has also come to mean "Princess of Angels", i.e. "The first part sounds like 'Sarah', which means princess, and it is derived from Seraphim, which is a kind of angel." The last name of Picquery has an unknown origin but we know she shares a last name with Lucas Picquery  who was a beater for the USA National Quidditch team who lost to Brazil in the World Cup semi-final in 2014. I guess we could divide the name into PIC meaning 'picture', and Query meaning 'search'. Anyone else find any information on this name? 

Aren't Seraphim also the highest ranking angels? And indeed she has managed to get the highest rank, politically and maybe also across the American wizarding world (I guess that depends who you talk to). 

I love the your comment on "pic" and search – picutre search. But maybe we could also read it as "pick, search": search through many things and pick out what needs tending to/is problematic/… an important trait for anyone who has taken on such an important role as hers.

It also reminds me of the ballet term "pique": consecutive travelling turns: could this be a little political play on turning around the same things, even if the politician says they are making progress?

Reading her name I am also reminded of "Pique Dame" – queen of spades. Now there is an opera by that name by Tchaikowsky and whilst it is not about wizards or similar, little details do make me sit up. Reading the synopsis (I never studied this opera, so I had to brush up on it) this jumped out at me:

He is tortured by an uncontrollable, unknown passion, not a romantic feeling, but a fever that is consuming and burning him. Demons that have been sleeping till now, have awakened inside him. He doesn’t know the name of his beloved, and he doesn’t want to know it.

This reminds me of Credence, being consumed by his magic but not wanting to acknowledge it. However, the "he" this is referring to (Herman) later discover his dark side and gets so engulfed in a gambling secret (which he coaxes out of the Countess) he ends being responsible for her death, that of a of Lisa, whom he loved (the Pique Dame) and finally takes his own life after losing all in gambling. This reminds me of Grindelwald gambling with Credence/the obscurius, bringing many close to death and/or the loss of their world. Now I might be going too far with this, as this refers less to Seraphina, and more to the people and world around her.
"Of course it is all in your head, but why on Earth should that mean it isn't real?" ~Dumbledore (DH)
December 22, 2016, 04:18:42 PM
Reply #3

HealerOne

• Staffer
    • Chasing the Tale
Oh love the opera possibility and the Polish reference to bread! Very cool.

I was wondering about Frank the Thunderbird. Frank is a male name meaning Free one. France comes from this name. But if you look at other meanings of Frank, it could mean blunt, direct, or undisguised. Frank also means to 'give free passage'. The Thunderbird come from Native Indians who spoke of a bird with large wingspans. It symbolized a supernatural Spirit of strength and power. Of all the animals we meet in this movie, I thought Frank was the most wonderous.

Then there is Dougal the Niffler. He was so cute. How could you not love him? Dougal comes from Gaelic and means 'dark stranger'. In the Anglo-Saxon version of Dougal it means 'dweller by the dark stream'. Not sure why JKR wanted to name this cutie Dougal except that he does like to snuffle about in dark places hunting out his shiny objects!
December 24, 2016, 08:14:57 PM
Reply #4

wordsaremagic

• The Only Wizard Bob the Duck Ever Feard
  • Administrator
When I think of the term "barebone" (bare bones) I think of something reduced to its minimum, stripped to the absolutely essential.
One thing all humans need is to be loved and accepted, to be included. Creedence is not included, not by the wizarding world, not by the no-maj world, not by the New Salem family. His nature is hidden from all, it is quite literally "obscured." His name Barebone, to me, suggests what he lacks, the bare bones essentials of human life, not food, clothing, and shelter, but love and acceptance.
In our Muggle world, we often call people who never form such attachments sociopaths. Too often they become serial killers and mass murderers. In the wizarding world, they become (if they survive at all) Voldemort.